Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Please explain the new Mathews bows? >

Please explain the new Mathews bows?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Please explain the new Mathews bows?

Old 11-18-2008, 07:57 PM

Default RE: Please explain the new Mathews bows?

Honestly, you should believe what you're shooting is the best, or why would you be shooting it?
This has got to be the best quote I have read on these boards in a very long time.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

I don't care if its off my 5 fps...that's still a lie IMO. I want an honest 340 if a company says it. Matt / PA claims that Bowtech didn't fudge their test setups a bit when they came up with their 09 IBO speeds. He says that people may even be surprised that their bow is a touch faster than toted. That's a theory that I can get behind.
So they have in previous years?[:-]

Does your shop have a website? Do they sell any other brands? How are they paying the light bill at those margins?[8D]
My local shop is $689, no need for websites, those just cost money to keep updated...They get customers by offering good prices to a loyal group of hunters. It is setup as half grocery store/half archery pro shop.... Mathews only dealer.

Their philosophy...you don't make the money on the bows (obviously make money, but no need to make excessive profit margins)....sell the bows cheaper than anyone else to get people in the shop....your bread and butter is made through the accessories sold to rig up the bows.

Guys go there to get the new Mathews for 689....and leave with 1200 total setup after all the goodies/arrows and such that they buy.

They have no problem selling bows either...annually make the top sellers list. That county has GOT to have the most Mathews shooters per any other brand ratio out of any in the state...im betting it is like 12 to 1. lol
Old 11-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

fingerz, who's your fav sports team? Answer honestly now.
Detroit Lions for football. Detroit Red Wings for hockey. One is the worst and the other is the best. I dont change teams depending on how well they do.

Bowhunter818 I dont need your insight on what slows a bow down. I also dont need to read a magazine to find out. I know exactly what slows bows down and what doesnt. But the bottom line is that by only missing an inch on DL and 6 grains over 350 you should not lose 32 fps. And if YOU sir have read a magazine you would have known that. So again, something is wrong,(a) the chrono is wrong, (b) Mathews lied on the IBO speed or (c)their is much more on the bow that was shooting (string leeches, d-loops, peep, etc.)
Old 11-19-2008, 01:34 AM
Fork Horn

quote:
then i somehow managed to stumble across a local bowtech dealer and from what he told me and the background research I did I decided on a bowtech without ever even shooting a mathewes. Granted, this could have been a mistake on my part, however, I couldn't be happier with bowtech and I also enjoy the company of the less "abrassive" fans

What did you expect a BowTech dealer to tell you, buy a Mathews? BowTech's are good bows, but why take someone's word for it - shoot them all, then decide on the one that best fits YOU.

By the way, BT fans as you put it, are just as "abrassive" asany other--especially in this forum!
Old 11-19-2008, 02:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for the lesson about IBO
I only said what I did because you said this (which didn't make sense). It wasn't 42fps off....since it was a 29" model (which I divulged).

A few FPS is common place... heck 10 is even accepted.... but 42..... something is amiss... either there were additional excentrics on the string or what... I don't know.
You never said it had a loop or a WB. Might want to go back and edit that one.
Might wanna go back and READ that one. I said it way back on page 2.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Michbowhunter

What did you expect a BowTech dealer to tell you, buy a Mathews? BowTech's are good bows, but why take someone's word for it - shoot them all, then decide on the one that best fits YOU.
did ya just skip the "and the background research" line? Also, I guess I should have clarified more, with the guy I met (and now work for) it was more a person/shop commitment as it was a brand commitment.

By the way, BT fans as you put it, are just as "abrassive" asany other--especially in this forum!
Maybe so, but first impressions last a lifetime and when I first started shooting I got more "shoot and see what you like" from BT fans and more "get a mathews" from the mathews boys. Oh well though, its all just personal preference
Old 11-19-2008, 06:19 AM

All i can say for sure is that that 08 bowtech general actually shot a foot per second faster than it was listed to shoot with an ibo arrow.

There is mattews pro shop in my town and i have yet to see a dxt to shoot the rated 321 and the tech said he hasn't either.

That is not to say these new mattews won't but the past ones haven't.

Personally i just like a bow that will do what the maker says
Old 11-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Mathews have always exagerated the speed of their bows. They are good bows nonetheless.

Bow companies test the speed of their bows at IBO which is70#, 30" draw, 350 grain arrow. As a thumb rule, you'll lose 8-10 fps for each inch you reduce the draw length. Also, big speed robbers are the following: Peep sights with rubber hose attachments you'll lose 10-15 fps with one of these. String loop, 3-5 fps, metalstring loop, 12-18 fps,Stand alone peeps like the metapeep 3-5 fps (you'll gain in veryrare occasion if you don't have speed nocks on close to the cam(s)).String silencers, 1-2 fps for each one added (the closer to the cams = less speed reduction but also less noise reduction). A simple brass nock in the center string location will cost youabout 1 fps each (brass nocks close to the cam can actually increase speed by a few fps). You will also gain about 2 fps on averagefor each pound of pullyou add. On average, you'll also lose about4-5 fps for every 10 grains ofstring or arrow weight you add over 350 grains.

I'll use myPSE Dream Seasonas an example. PSE rates it at 340 fps at IBO. I have 31"draw andI have 73#'s of pull= 8fps extra for draw and 6 fps extra for pull bringingit to 352 fps IBO. I have a 391 grain arrow, two nocks, one meta peep whcih adds about 50 grains extraover the IBO weight which according to this formula, my bow should be getting about 332 fps. My bow is actually getting 327 fps so it's right there with this formula. This is a good way to figure out if you bow is performing as it should be.

Other things to be aware ofare aftermarket cable slides, I've tried some that slow a bow as much as 20 fps. Also, after market strings can change a bow speed dramatically.It's good to chrono your bow before and after before you make any change to your bowto make sure that what you're doing is not adverselyaffecting it.

Good additions that will quiet your bow withoutrobbing speed are. 1. Stabilizers. 2. Cable silencers 3. STS systemsand 4 limbs silencers. Another trick that will add speed (2fps or so in some cases)is to wrap your solid limbs in camo hunting fleece, it reduces vibration and adds a little speed.

And yes, I am a completenut when it comes to maximizingbow efficiency. It's an off season hobby of mine.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Thanks for the lesson about IBO
I only said what I did because you said this (which didn't make sense). It wasn't 42fps off....since it was a 29" model (which I divulged).

A few FPS is common place... heck 10 is even accepted.... but 42..... something is amiss... either there were additional excentrics on the string or what... I don't know.
You never said it had a loop or a WB. Might want to go back and edit that one.
Might wanna go back and READ that one. I said it way back on page 2.

One way or the other Jeff, I feel like I owe you an appology for that statement and part of that post. I'm sorry. I didn't have to be nasty or sarcastic to get my point across, and after re-reading my comments, they actually sound a lot worse than I even intended them to be. What was meant to be a little bit of jest came out totally uncalled for nasty, so please accept my appologies.

I actually wrotewhat you have quoted hereafter reading your first post on page one, then I read your reply to that directly, so I totally missed that statement on page two... lesson learned: always read the whole thread first... not just the first page.... even if its just a two pager. My mistake. Personally I would have put that in the orginial post, because the type of rest and eccenstrics on the string have a big time direct effect on speed.... granted not all folks see that as pertinient (I understand you do), but there are so many variables, and to see that kinda of speed, and posted in the way you wrote on page one... well.. I took it like I did... everyone words things differently and its easy to misconstrue things sometimes.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Slingshot455

My Diamond Marquis(Bowtech) at 64# 305gr went 304 to 306fps with a peep and tube. Dont know alot about bows but this is what mine did.
Not to be off topic but bud... you are shooting well under the 5gpp mark. you are shooting a 305gr arrow out of a 64# bow? that = 4.765625 gpp. you are voiding your bow warranty and asking for an arrow in the hand! just letting you know.
Derek

Quick Reply: Please explain the new Mathews bows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.