HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Would this be adequate? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/274184-would-adequate.html)

Father Forkhorn 11-18-2008 07:05 AM

Would this be adequate?

I am trying to equip myself with a bow that would get me through this season (I'm a total beginner to bows). Right now, budget is a huge limitation, though it won't be come summer (I can easily upgrade at that point to a decent quality bow). I'm trying to find a bow that would get me one season of hunting and humanely take a deer.

Would a PSE Silverhawk do what I'm asking? I realize it's low end and it will not be high quality. The one I'm seeing advertised has a 55lb. draw. It's IBO is listed at 236 fps. I know from my researching that it's slow, but the materials I've been reading have been vague and/or confusing about how fast a bow really needs to be.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. Remember, I'm only asking for one season and the ability to make a humane kill.

FWIW, I don't intend to use a tree stand. I don't do well with heights, so I'll be hunting from behind a natural blind. Don't know if that style of hunting would affect choice of bow, but thought I'd mention it.

Xtec Shooter 11-18-2008 07:12 AM

RE: Would this be adequate?

Who really cares about where that bow falls into the spectrum of low end or high end. If you become proficient enough with it to execute the shot that you need to make, nothing else matters.

If you are beginner, find someone in your area....go to your local pro shop and find someone that will mentor you. Listening to someone who may have been around the block once or twice will help dramatically. Learn, listen and practice...practice...practice!

Good luck!

DannyD 11-18-2008 07:14 AM

FF,
High end bows are talked about a lot on this and other sites. Us boys, with our toys you know.
BUT, it does not take a $600 bow to kill a deer. It also does not take 300 FPS to kill a deer.
55# at 230 FPS is PLENTY. Get yourself a cut on contact broadhead like a Magnus stinger, Montec, Or Nap Hellrazor and get out there.

No, it will not matter if you are on the ground or in the tree.

StrikeTrue 11-18-2008 07:15 AM

Dont let anyone tell you that bow is not sufficient to humanely take an animal. It sounds like your on the right track. Good Luck

Father Forkhorn 11-18-2008 03:44 PM

Thanks for your input on this everyone. It's quite helpful. My next stop is an archery stop.

jober425 11-18-2008 05:21 PM

Do you think native amiericans worried about poundage, fps, and "high end" bows? Put an arrow where its supposed to go and it will kill a deer.

bigtim6656 11-18-2008 05:41 PM

well what is your budget. I would not worry if someone thinks it is low end or not. most any bow will do you for a year or two.

earnabuck 11-18-2008 06:13 PM

I have been hunting with a PSE Team Fitzgerald since 2000 when I started bowhunting. It has a rating to 65 pounds but I only shoot 60. Up until this year I was shooting it at 51 pounds. I have killed two deer with it and my goal is 5 before I get a new bow. I have missed a few too. My point is... that it is an entry level bow because I didn't know how much I would get into bow hunting. I have made some modifications with vibration dampeners and new sight but this has been MY BOW for 8 years. It works just as well as any other bow and I have become attached to it. If you hit a deer in the right spot, it will die, no questions asked. Good luck on your search.