HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   A dream realized and then quickly shattered (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/274107-dream-realized-then-quickly-shattered.html)

Pa Trophy Man 11-17-2008 05:30 PM

A dream realized and then quickly shattered

Guys, i just returned from my first trip bowhunting in Iowa. The rut in the midwest is everything its cracked up to be - the hunting was absolutely incredible. Its been a long time goal of mine to take a PY buck with a bow. The third morning of my hunt i was finally presented with a golden oppurtunity. I had a massive old buck broadside at a mere 15 yards. It was perfect- couldn't have scripted it any better. He stood working a scrape completey unaware of my presence, i drew the bow back - it was almost over now as i just had to seal the deal. I picked a spot tight behind the shoulder or so i thought, I hit the release and watched in horror as the arrow sailed directly into his paunch area. Nearly 11 hours later i took up the trail holding onto what little shred of hope i could find in the situation. I made it about 100 yards into the next draw only to watch the buck get up from his bed and slowly walk off as if he wasn't even hit. I was beyond crushed. I backed out and returned the next morning and searched the entire day coming up empty handed. I spent the next three days of my trip searching for any sign of my dream buck. Finally the fourth morning of the search, nearly 3/4 of a mile away i found him. He was a heap of spoiled meat and i have never felt so low. I can't bring myself to take solace in the fact that i actually did recover the deer but that such a beautiful specimen laid to waste for days. There will be no mount job, no bragging and no joy in this for me. I still feel sick.

eswany 11-17-2008 05:33 PM

RE: A dream realized and then quickly shattered

Oh man, I feel sorry for you! I cannot even gather to think what you have been going through. Keep your chin up & there will be a next time!

Siman08/OH 11-17-2008 05:33 PM

Hey man, you did your best and recovered your deer. There is no shame in making a bad shot. It says alot about your character that you searched for 3 days and finally found him. I wish you would rethink your mount idea because that is a beautifull buck.

Kelly/KY 11-17-2008 05:34 PM

It could happen to any of us..don't beat yourself up too much. You didn't give up and recovered the animal. Many guys wouldn't spend three days searching, so kudos. Very unique buck. Keep your head up, he's a great deer.

Matt/NC 11-17-2008 05:35 PM

It happens to the best of us and you should be proud. Unlike alot at least you persisted and found him. There are alot of people who wouldn't search 3/4 of a mile for a world record. Congrats and def get that made into a mount!:D

Vabowman 11-17-2008 05:37 PM

Dude mount that deer....you did nothing wrong, there is no shame in what you did, hell most would have quit after the first day of looking, if they would have given it that long. It sucks that you didn't find him sooner, but you found him and you arrowed him and he desrves the mount as do you... it's a great buck that you killed...it's too bad about the meat, but there is nothing that can be done about it, close this chapter and appreciate the antlers...

Red 5 stdby 11-17-2008 05:40 PM

I couldn't agree more with what was already posted. A lot of people would not spend 3 days looking for a deer. Congratulations on the great deer! Mistakes don't define the individual it's how we act after the mistake that defines the individual.

RTA47 11-17-2008 05:45 PM

Ok so you made a bad hit!What counts is how you handled it?You never gave up! (IMO) ( I think you should mount him you shot him and he is truely an awesome animal)
How many hunters has shot bucks like that tonever seen them again?
you found yours.
Way to go!

early in 11-17-2008 05:53 PM

I admire your persistence! That's a great trophy that you earned. There should be no shame at all in this situation. You went the extra mile (no pun intended) and deserved to find that buck, which is a bute. If anything you should be quite proudof your achievement. As previously mentioned, most would have given up MUCH sooner. You better get him mounted! Hats off to you my friend, you are a real hunter. Congrats!;)

130woodman 11-17-2008 06:00 PM

You killed the best buck of your life and it didn't go as planned. Kudos on finding him most people would have given up. Give it a couple of months and take it to the taxi and get a cape and have it mounted you owe him that much IMO.