Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scariest moment in a stand TONIGHT >

Scariest moment in a stand TONIGHT

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scariest moment in a stand TONIGHT

Old 11-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scariest moment in a stand TONIGHT

I really don't know how it happened. I sat in it for nearly four hours tonight with only one notch out on each side. It never gave way or anything while it was attached or while I was climbing up. I even had to climb back down when I first got settled because I had forgotten my release on the ground. So after climbing up then down and then againback up it was all the good. So I really am clueless as to what happened. All I know is when I checked it out after that there were 2 notches out.

The main reason I went with Summit was because I have always heard good things about their safety, so this definantly isn't something that is common with their products, as I have never heard anything in a negative light about them as far as safety goes.

MdDave---Unless the deer is nearly directly in front of me it seems my lower limb is banging against the railing. Maybe I'm just used to hang ons with no railing I don't know. As far as noise is, I know they are part of the game with climbers. My brother in law has a Viper too, and loves it.

PA Hardwoods---You don't have to tell me twice now. I'm lucky it happened where it did, and I was able to keep my balance. If in the future I venture out in the climbing stand market and purchase another one I will definantly be attached to the tree from first step up to last step down.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Dominant Buck

MdDave---Unless the deer is nearly directly in front of me it seems my lower limb is banging against the railing. Maybe I'm just used to hang ons with no railing I don't know. As far as noise is, I know they are part of the game with climbers. My brother in law has a Viper too, and loves it.
YOU have total control over where you place your upper stand portion. Position your seat high enough...and you won't have the rail/limb issues.

Also....think LOGICALLY about what you're saying occurred. How could it "slip"? Did the knuckle come loose from the cable? That's the only way this could happen (other than the metal receiver bending and allowing the knuckle to slide through it).

If you didn't have the knuckle seated correctly....it might still climb fine (due to friction).

Like I said....think about it logically. If the knuckle didn't come loose from the cable...and the receiver didn't bend open and allow it to slide through.....then you didn't have it seated properly before you ascended.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

YOU have total control over where you place your upper stand portion. Position your seat high enough...and you won't have the rail/limb issues.

Also....think LOGICALLY about what you're saying occurred. How could it "slip"? Did the knuckle come loose from the cable? That's the only way this could happen (other than the metal receiver bending and allowing the knuckle to slide through it).

If you didn't have the knuckle seated correctly....it might still climb fine (due to friction).

Like I said....think about it logically. If the knuckle didn't come loose from the cable...and the receiver didn't bend open and allow it to slide through.....then you didn't have it seated properly before you ascended.
My knees were already touching the bottom of the rail, so I don't see how I could lower it anymore.

Also, I'm in no way am I trying to come off as pushing the blame on Summit or their product. Like I said, I bought aSummit, because ofthe positive things I had heard about the safety of the Vipers.I watched the DVD and practiced with it numerous times just climbing 5 feet up then back down. But this was only my 5th or 6th time withhunting with it, so a mishap on my part is definantly possible. I understand what you are saying about the knuckle having to come through there. I've looked at it and the only thing I figured is somehow it wasn't locked all the way, or the mechanism that locks it somehow was tripped while I was sitting or getting ready for my climb down.

Regardless of what happened or how it happened the knuckle still slipped, andit was enough to scare thecrap out of me. I would prefer to sit in a hang on or a ladder stand that has ratchet straps holding it on and a climbing stick/ladder leading up to it.

The only reason I bought the climber was our farm is being logged this year, and it was convenient to work around the loggers with it.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had 2 summits....a 180 and a Goliath (currently using). Both attached the same way as the Viper. I'm not even sure how this could happen. Did the "fitting" or "lug" (for lack of a better term) give way or did it slip thru the slot that is suppose to stop it?
Old 11-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

here's my take on this as i have (an older version) Viper.

noisy - a little bit, but i've never spooked a deer while climbing. in fact i've been in a situation twice where i've had deerin my area (within 50y)as i was climbing and didnt spook.

heavy - somewhat, mine is heavy only when my pack is hooked onfor the walk in/out.

hard to shoot out of - not for me anyways. when i get to my desired height i take my bow and move around in the drawn position to make sure i've got clearance in all directions.

as far as the cable moving to the next setting, i think that is due to operator mistake.

alwaysbe attached to the tree!!! i connect/disconnect with my feet on the ground.

i love my viper. only reason i'd replace it is if...couldn't think of one.

good luck with your choice if you replace it with another climber/brand.

Nontypical Buck

Not sure..But hearing more and more about accidents in the tree. I have more anxiety now than ever. Just because of the stories and friends that I've had fall from a tree. Serious Injuries..

I wear it all..but the bottom line...you gotta be careful...and strap in immediately before you start to fumble with the gadgets. We do this stuff in the dark guys. Always have your had on straight when you're reaching onto the platform.

Most importantly - Trees with ice on them are deadly. Although I'm in Michigan.
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

Wow, glad to here your ok. Good luck. So the cable stop gaveway andslipped to the next setting? Or did the notch give way and let the cable stop slip through it?
That's the stupidest design on a climber I've ever seen. There is NO WAY I'd get any climber that didn't usesome sort oflocking pin.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

Wow, definitely some defensive Summit owners here huh?

FWIW Illinois, I believe you. I have no reason not to. Continue to be careful my friend.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

That would be pretty scary! Hope Cabelas takes it back!
Old 11-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

Wow, glad to here your ok. Good luck. So the cable stop gaveway andslipped to the next setting? Or did the notch give way and let the cable stop slip through it?
That's the stupidest design on a climber I've ever seen. There is NO WAY I'd get any climber that didn't usesome sort oflocking pin.
Mine has some sort of locking pin and it locks in just fine.[:-] Solo, do you know Dustan Griffin?

Quick Reply: Scariest moment in a stand TONIGHT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.