Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ohio Rut?

Old 11-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ohio Rut?

Any other Ohio hunters notice the ruts been a little slow this year? Seen smaller bucks chasing, but haven't seen any bigger bucks. The biggest was that 10 pointer I've mentioned before. He'd probably gross in the 120s. Other than him, I haven't seen anything. Got big bucks, but just haven't seen any. This week, we're supposed to be getting snow and it'll be cold of course. Hopefully that'll get everything going.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ohio Rut?

ORIGINAL: The Deer Destroyer

Any other Ohio hunters notice the ruts been a little slow this year? Seen smaller bucks chasing, but haven't seen any bigger bucks. The biggest was that 10 pointer I've mentioned before. He'd probably gross in the 120s. Other than him, I haven't seen anything. Got big bucks, but just haven't seen any. This week, we're supposed to be getting snow and it'll be cold of course. Hopefully that'll get everything going.
yeah i live in butler county. i hunted 3 times this week and saw no deer last week i saw a lot though. i dont get it..............
Old 11-16-2008, 04:32 PM

Im up in seneca county , northwest ohio , last weekend i saw a TON of young bucks chasing and called several in. I elected to shoot a mature half rack sunday (in the rain) with no recovery resulting from it.However the 2 boys ive been after have disapeard from sightings and cameras ? The farmer was happy to hear this , i wasnt so excited about it. My buddy shot a small 6 point on thursday on the same property and said that guy didnt even pay him any attention when he tried to stop him at 20 yards - just had his noes to the ground on a mission.
The temps are there now i hope this damn rain moves out. GOOD LUCK
Old 11-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dave37

I elected to shoot a mature half rack sunday (in the rain) with no recovery resulting from it.
You make that sound like "no biggy"![:'(][:'(][:'(][>:]
Old 11-16-2008, 04:43 PM

Not sure how to put my original post about it on here - the loss wasnt on purpose and i wasnt happy about it i searched that night then monday morning brought two buddys to help search with no harvest - so yes [&o]that SUCKED it would have been my first buck EVER -[&o][&o]
Old 11-16-2008, 04:50 PM

I went out today around 2:30 and decided the wind was wrong for one of my stands once i reached it. I decided to trek back another 200-300 yards to my other stand which was risky because anything in the woods wpuld almost certainly wind me (but kinda had no choice at that point) so approx 100 yards from stand (A) i heard a crunch to my right just inside the woods. After a few minutes of standing there i relized there was a buck standing maybe 15 yards upwind of me.I havehad this very deer in range twice in the last 2 days and here he was again on day three.His right side was a mmedium 8 pt. frame hisleft was gone. After meeting with him and even drawing on him yesterday morning idecided if i could get a shot . Ishot him at about 15-18 yards from the groundit was a solid good hit - a bit low just a bit though. He ran out into the field with the doe he was withstill flagging which i usually dont feel great about when i see this. Anyway without writing my next memoir on this post- simply put i feel good about the shot. BUT it then started pooring down rain so i decided after only about 30-40 minutes i had to get on him. I ended up jumping him up about 200 yards from where i shot him and he didnt act like he was terribly hurt there was lots of good blood where he was walking (very dark red with lots of bubbles in it) which im not so sure werent created by all the rain hitting it. After i jumped him i decided to back out and try in the morning. What would i have hit a bit low ? Heart i believe but if that was the case he wouldhave expired regardless in that time IWOULD THINK SO ANYWAY. what would i have hit if the shot was lower than thaty ? the longer i think about it the worse and worse i feel about it (knowing damn well it was a pretty good shot) by the way this is the second deer this year i have been in this situation with and this one especially confirms in my mind that a good shot with my new fangel rage 3 blades is still worthless at 15 yards ~ my muzzys have always blown through deer i think my bow is too slow for em from what ive been gathering from the forums/ my 2 experiences. bowtech tribute 60# gold tip 7595 arrows.. Alright i guess im done venting- any input -GREAT !

Not sure how to put my original post about it on here - the loss wasnt on purpose and i wasnt happy about it i searched that night then monday morning brought two buddys to help search with no harvest - so yes [&o]that SUCKED it would have been my first buck EVER -[&o][&o]
Old 11-16-2008, 05:58 PM

Sounds like a liver shot.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

well im in northwest ohio and i have not seen any signs of rut yet just got back on the 15th from a week in ashland county where the rut was in full swing and the big boys were all over the does but i didnt bag one still waiting for that first deer for the season
Old 11-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

I elected to shoot a mature half rack sunday (in the rain) with no recovery resulting from it.
You make that sound like "no biggy"![:'(][:'(][:'(][>:]
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off so hash sounding.But you didn't mention any recovery efforts.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:31 PM

today was the first day I can firmly attest to seeing does actually being chased and two mature bucks up and moving. the last few days I only saw the little fellas sniffing. I had a nice encounter with a 10pt tonite, got to forty yards away coming in head first, stopped sniffed and headed out behing my stand about 50 yards away. oh well, I will be back at if tomorrow.
Ron

Quick Reply: Ohio Rut?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.