Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 For those that have a LOT of time to hunt.... >

For those that have a LOT of time to hunt....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

For those that have a LOT of time to hunt....

Old 11-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: For those that have a LOT of time to hunt....

It can and will wear you down. You have to know your limits. Eating healthy and having a positive attitude helps...and oh yeah, seeing deer helps too.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:13 AM

Be thankful for your jobs. I am currently without one and this season has not been quite as exciting as others. Yeah, it sorta seems like work at times, but like work at a GREAT job. I take(OK, used to take) alot of pride in my job, and at the end of the day I had something to show for it(fixing water main breaks or installing water services). Lately, it's been like one of those days when you work your arse off and don't get the job done. But the good LORD willing, that's gonna turn around today. I'm gonna finish this job and have something to show for all of this hard work!.......then I can concentrate a little harder on finding a job that PAYS
Old 11-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

if i feel like im going to work or have to drag my self outta bed, i simply stay IN bed. ive done it. both deer and turkey seasons. ive done it this season...first week and i hunted a couple days and didnt see a living deer...

i get to hunt a fair bit...3 days a week all day this year for the most part...

i can pump myself up about anything....the sign im seeing...the spot i uncovered...the rutt that never came and "should heated up any day" etc etc...just gotta think posative and think that ALL it takes is 1 second to completely flip your season. i know i dont hunt in heavy deer number areas. i dont setup so i can see deer far away. i setup in thick areas and mostly areas im 90% sure that if i see one, its gunna be a male deer and be in bow range it gets frustrating at times...but i know all it takes is me being in that tree at the right time when the right buck is moving through. just gotta stay posative.

non-hunters often ask me how/why the heck i sit there in a tree, dark till dark...my answer is always "because i enjoy it and love to be out there" if i didnt enjoy it and didnt have fun being out there, i wouldnt do it...plain and simple. noone forces me to hunt. at any point i can up and quit. who knows, maybe one day i will. but the more i push myself the more i enjoy it i find.

pushed myself on longbeards this spring. wanted a big ole bird...a big boss tom. i hunted darn near every day...passed some birds i thought i may been crazy for not taking. walked away from birds that i just KNEW were jakes and 2yo birds...down to the very last day, i gave it 1 last shot...had the most exciting hunt of my life and killed the biggest bird of my life. it was the sweetest success ever. a couple days of that season, i hit the ole snooze button and never went out. i had 6 hunting days a week...the days i was tired or it felt like i was going to work, i just stayed in. if i cant have fun doing it, im not gunna do it
Old 11-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

I used to do the everyday you can routine, but as I grew older it's become not necessary. I never got to the point it felt like work, but I have been obsessed at times. Anymore I'm between flyfishing, golf, hunting etc. I no longer care if I really kill anything, but when I go my intentions are to stick something. Like this past week. Our gun season in the Northern Tier where I live was in full swing. I lamented all week about not having gone to the Southern Tier to bow hunt.... but I had things going on. Nothing important... but I wanted to do them. Plus I'd just come back from Ohio where I'd killed a ncie buck. My brother ask me down to his hunting camp to gun hunt with them starting Saturday. So I didn't want to kill a deer here if I was leaving town. I decided to get in at least one hunt in the Southern Tier. Packed all my gun stuff and bow stuff Thursday, drove down Friday AM. Got lucky and shot a nice 6 point Friday at 1 PM with the bow, last day of archery season. I did the social hunt with my brother and his gang on Saturday, packed it up and came home this morning. Right now I'm taking a break from butchering. There is more to life than hunting. I'm trying to enjoy it all. Give me the sack punch.... no pictures. So be it.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-17-2008, 09:38 AM

It is hard to keep the enthusiasm up for me. Motivation is more the word I think. It helps that I always have one of my friends along running a camera though. This saturday was a good example. Wind was roaring again (just like every day this month) and though I know it doesn't effect the deer, it has been wearing on me. We almost decided to sleep in. Long story short, we motivatedourselves and got going, but late. Made it to the stand a half hour after shooting light. Lost count of how many bucks we saw, literally. Saw 3 bucks I wanted to shoot but they were just all frantically searching for does and could not get it done (judge size, get footage, pull trigger) before the shot disappeared. Still, a great morning hunt and a good reminder of why it pays to push yourself.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will say this, I had to make myself set until 9 am this morning.... I just dont "feel" it in the mornings.

Evenings, it gets dark so quick, It keeps my enthusiasm going.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can most definetely do it as long as I am not hunting from home. Too many distractions and such. But when I hunt out of state, I don't have to worry about too much. Everyday is then spent hunting.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Short answer- Yes, it does.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

I farm and I'm also going to college right now, but the way i have my work and class schedule set up, i can hunt morning and evening seven days a week. been doing it for years. sometimes its a trial to drag yourself out of bed, especially when you've had a dry spell of seeing nothing fora week or two, but i always tell myself this- if i go out, i might not see that big buck. if i lay in bed, i know for sure i won't see him. thats what gets me going. i've found that the biggest bucks i've killed showed up when i least expected it and was wondering why i wasn't at home with a cup of coffee and a sandwich. keep at it and it will pay off, i have a wall lined with mounts to back up that statement. the more hours you put in on stand, the better your chances of tagging a monster.

Quick Reply: For those that have a LOT of time to hunt....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.