Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Your chance to vote on my ineptness >

Your chance to vote on my ineptness

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your chance to vote on my ineptness

Old 11-16-2008, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Your chance to vote on my ineptness

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

It was eerily "light"....even as I walked out in the dusk too dark to have shooting light, still. Surreal.

I remember in years past looking forward with MUCH anticipation to each and every opportunity to go afield. I haven't done that, this year. It's almost been a "job". I may never get to hunt as much as I have this year in one season. AND....I don't think that's a "bad" thing.
Jeff, I saw what you described as far as that strange looking color in the sky on my way out yesterday as well. It was like a purplish grey that I don't think I can ever recall seeing before. Surreal is a good description of it. I thought for a moment it was a prelude to a tornado.
The way you describe your season so far is crazily similar to mine. I also have NEVER hunted as much in my entire life. My work situation, or lack there of,had everything to do with this. I've never hunted this many all day sits before either. And yes, at times it did feel like a "job". I think this was because of me almost never seeing deer, and a lot of mornings I'd be walking in all but knowing that I wasn't going to see anything. I have a strong drive to succeed when it comes to deer hunting because it's theone thing in life I truely love to do, aside of catching wild/native trout.
You know what though? It's not over until the fat lady sings!I will now give Alberta my undivided attention for a week (6 days) to kill a nice buck. Then when I return, I'll give it my best again duringPa's regular buck season. With my bow of course.Good luck to you. You sure do give it hell Jeff!

Old 11-16-2008, 06:53 AM
Dominant Buck

You will learn more (MUCH MORE) about who you are as a hunter and what it takes to hunt a particular animal in this season than any prior. And in doing so.. will eventually find your "curveball" so to speak. And watch how the deer will fall once you do.
I already HAVE learned more this year than I ever thougth I would about deer, Mike. I owe a LOT (understatement) to you for that. Thanks. You've been a WONDERFUL resource...a great sounding board....and a great friend. Thank you.

I understand the "curveball" reference PERFECTLY. You'll understand that I've been stepping into the box without thinking about the pitcher too much, lately. It's hard to guess the pitch when you fail to put much emphasis on who's on the mound that particular at-bat. Lot of good it does you to guess fastball when Wakefied's on the rubber.

Your confidence that I will learn the pitchers is refreshing. I hope to see them fall...as you say....in the comng years (and maybe THIS one).

Relax.. you will remember this season as your greatest and not as your worst.
Thank you. And again...you are 100% correct. It's been a GREAT ride, so far. I would have NEVER thought I'd be sitting here thinking the way I do, today, in the past. I'm seeing things in the woods(and on topos/aerials/etc...) I never would have noticed in years past. It may take me a while to apply all these things....but I too have confidence it'll fall into place.

I've got probably 20+ more sits left in me this year (time allocated). Heck I'm already looking forward to scouting for '09, too.

Back to the baseball metaphors for a second, Mike....

If I've learned one thing this year.....it's this..

Sometimes it's betterto let the leftyswing against the lefty.....even though coventional wisdom tells us the odds are against it. MOST times it's NOT, though. Knowing the difference is the keyto the the deer "falling". YoujustHAVE to know who's on the mound and know the hitter's abilities are (has he been hot? ....i.e. good weather? Good wind? Good timing?). I need to learn when to stay on the bench and when to grab the bat. But if I grab the bat.....I need to have a DAMNED good idea of whats coming.

eswan...

It is easy to overthink the situation & the process on the whole (in both golf & hunting).
There's not even a FINE line in this and what I'll be doing from here on out. I don't want to give the impression that I'll be"winging it" from here on out. It's not in my make-up to do that.

I won't go afield without a solid plan. I just need to REALLY (intelligently) put what I've learned to good use.

Here's an examle of what I'm talking about...

I've been playing the wind religiously this year. It's an awesome tool...and a HUGE confidence boost when you can see deer and KNOW you're "good" as long as they don't go "there". Even in knowing this....I've set up in a few spots that I DIDN'T utilize it totally to my advantage. Right woodlot. Right time. WRONG TREE......even by as much as 20-30 yds (which is the difference between a harvest photo and a "sighting" in bowhunting). I've done this6-8 times, so far.....and if I'd stop and really think about it more.....there's no excuse for it.

Little things like this are what separates the guys getting it done on a regular basis....and the guys who get it done "occasionally". These little things are HUGE.

BUT......Once you've done your homeowrk (fully)...ya gotta go with what you brung (swing, that day).....relax.... let it happen.....and not get in your own way. Getting in your own way is NOT taking the time to apply the things you know will make you successful. it's tepping into a woodlot and thinking "that tree looks better than the spot over there I'd originally decided on". You've given up a ittle bit of your advantage (possibly) and that "little" bit is what I spoke of earlier. It's huge. Getting in your own way is KNOWING that the 3wd is the right play on #5.......and thinking "I'm killing my driver....I'll hit it here". You've given up your biggest advantage, which is your ability to think, cognitively.

Theres a time and a place to hit the driver, there. Knowing that is HUGE, too. Aggression is a huge risk/reward. I find hunting and golf VERY similar in that regard. Course management and a sound hunting strategy (per hunt) are synonymous. I found, in golf, that deviations usually cost you (throughout the course of a round/tournament). I've found that to be true in hunting even moreso.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes it's better to let the lefty swing against the lefty.....even though coventional wisdom tells us the odds are against it. MOST times it's NOT, though. Knowing the difference is the key to the the deer "falling". You just HAVE to know who's on the mound and know the hitter's abilities are (has he been hot? ....i.e. good weather? Good wind? Good timing?). I need to learn when to stay on the bench and when to grab the bat. But if I grab the bat.....I need to have a DAMNED good idea of whats coming.
Word to that. COL (chuckle out loud)!

Good luck Jeff.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, try 36 sits (120 hrs) and only seeing 7 deer (2 bucks and 5 does, 1 doe of which is in the freezer), 5 hogs, a family of coons and 1 coyote. It can/could be worse dude. My season is just now getting towards the rut, but I have already put in a lot. But, you know what, I have ate buck-tag soup the last 3 yrs since I started "bowhunting only". I am okay as long as I am learning though. When I first joined the forum I was told by some of the more experienced here that it might take me about 3 to 4 seasons to get a buck. I guess they may be right. We will see. Lighten up on yourself Jeff. I have to constantly remind myself of this. Last year I was totally let down that I did not get a buck. This year, I intentionally self-enrolled myself into learning my land/deer better. After season scouting this year will be my greatest part of the season. Regardless of what others think or say, I am not all about "the kill". You have/will succeed because you will not quit. That says a lot.

LT
Old 11-16-2008, 07:03 AM

I did not take offense to your initial post my friend. My concern was that you as a young man was putting to much pressure on yourself to tag a buck. By comparing my 34 years as a bow hunter and still not putting a buck down so far this year, I was attempting to show you that if standards are made by a hunter then sometimes you may not tag.

Yes we all want to be successful. There are some who define success as a large Buck harvested. There is nothing wrong with that mind set. There is also nothing wrong with setting a standard and not possibly meeting that goal. Every sit brings you more and more experience.

Some will tell you this is BS. Everyone has an opinion and I respect each of them. You need to decide what your goals are and if it is acceptable to not meet those goals. Do not let pressure from others define what kind of hunter you will be.

Dave
Old 11-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Lighten up on yourself Jeff.
My epiphany, yesterday, LT....ws just that.

There is also nothing wrong with setting a standard and not possibly meeting that goal.
Thanks. Very true! If I wanted to only kill "a" buck....I'd be tagged out. There is solace, there.

You need to decide what your goals are and if it is acceptable to not meet those goals. Do not let pressure from others define what kind of hunter you will be.
Part of the journey. Yes. I admit to feeling pressure (internal....which is fine....AND external....which is NOT). Again....part of finding yourself as a hunter. I'm working on that (latter) part right now (and you guys are helping).

Old 11-16-2008, 07:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can relate. It's a battle within yourself. I've let more 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks walk this year than the last 5 years combined. There is some solace in the fact that you've already "hunted" those particular animals.... they just don't know it .

I don't know how many hours (a lot) or sits (a lot) because I don't really keep track. All I know is I've been out every morning and afternoon (sometimes all day sits) since opening day. I've been out in 40mph winds, rain, snow, cold, hot, etc... and haven't scored on a buck that meets the standards I set.

I'll be honest I've had my pity party moments [8D]and wonder why not sometimes. It's certainly not from lack of effort or dedication. But in the end I realize I've taken my hunting to a different stage in my life. Ultimately I'm ok with not taking a buck that I'm after if that's how its' going to play out. I've become better at what I do everyday I leave the woods.

What really will chap your butt though is all the hours and days on stand holding out for what you're looking for to come crashing down on you in an instant. I've blown 2 chances (because I'm an idiot) on the same buck I've been hunting and wanted to take. That's like pouring salt in the wound[8D] Man you gotta love this stuff.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

By the way I think you're going to take a buck. Your season seems to be heading towards last minute magic IMO. Just a gut feeling.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

One thing I would like to add to putting in a lot of time and not killing a deer. Yesterday afternoon I was sitting in my stand not seeing anything as per usual. I watched a squirrel running upa tree with leaves in his mouth to make his home warm and comfy for the winter. He was doing this same exact thing the previous day. Up and down he would go. I lost track of how many times I watched him doing this, but it took the "edge" of of not seeing deer. I found this sillyness amusing.I think it's these neat little things that we need to appreciate while we're hunting.
There are many people who live such hectic (sp) lives that they will never be able to see the simple little things of life. I think that's a shame. We as hunters are a verylucky to witnessthese things even if we're not seeing deer. We learn much about the woods and the animals that live there. I love hunting even if at times it feels like a job.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Jeff, I saw what you described as far as that strange looking color in the sky on my way out yesterday as well. It was like a purplish grey that I don't think I can ever recall seeing before. Surreal is a good description of it. I thought for a moment it was a prelude to a tornado.
The way you describe your season so far is crazily similar to mine. I also have NEVER hunted as much in my entire life. My work situation, or lack there of,had everything to do with this. I've never hunted this many all day sits before either. And yes, at times it did feel like a "job". I think this was because of me almost never seeing deer, and a lot of mornings I'd be walking in all but knowing that I wasn't going to see anything. I have a strong drive to succeed when it comes to deer hunting because it's theone thing in life I truely love to do, aside of catching wild/native trout.
You know what though? It's not over until the fat lady sings!I will now give Alberta my undivided attention for a week (6 days) to kill a nice buck. Then when I return, I'll give it my best again duringPa's regular buck season. With my bow of course.Good luck to you. You sure do give it hell Jeff!
Good stuff EI....and I'm glad you saw what I did.

The trout fishing is a great thought! I can wade a mountain stream for hours and not get caught up in what I "might" or "should" catch. I need to find that in my deer hunting.

NY....again....good stuff. I'm getting "there". I also appreciate your confidence (or gut feeling!).

One thing I would like to add to putting in a lot of time and not killing a deer. Yesterday afternoon I was sitting in my stand not seeing anything as per usual. I watched a squirrel running upa tree with leaves in his mouth to make his home warm and comfy for the winter. He was doing this same exact thing the previous day. Up and down he would go. I lost track of how many times I watched him doing this, but it took the "edge" of of not seeing deer. I found this sillyness amusing.I think it's these neat little things that we need to appreciate while we're hunting.
There are many people who live such hectic (sp) lives that they will never be able to see the simple little things of life. I think that's a shame. We as hunters are a verylucky to witnessthese things even if we're not seeing deer. We learn much about the woods and the animals that live there. I love hunting even if at times it feels like a job.

EI I had a similar sighting one sit this year. I watched two squirrels (who apparently shared this nest) work ALL afternoon on it. These two won't get cold, this year! They worked their butts off to make sure of it. Really cool to witness.

Quick Reply: Your chance to vote on my ineptness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.