Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 (Blah!!) Stopping deer >

(Blah!!) Stopping deer

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

(Blah!!) Stopping deer

Old 11-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: (Blah!!) Stopping deer

I have done it twice so far this year. I would rather not having to do it, but if I have a deer come in that wont stop on his own, you can bet that I will do it again.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:18 AM

I usually only grunt b4 i take a deer if he's on the move, gets him to stop and look your way, opening him up to a vary of good instant drop kills, bottom of the jaw,head, and right through the heart, but i have also had bad experience's with this, one time it spooked him and i ended up with a messy gut shot, ended up tracking the blood trailfor about 1500 yards, so my opinion, only do it if he's on the move and u got him in ur sights!!
Old 11-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Well I don't know the answer to this question, but I'm glad you brought it up. It almost seems like you are just going to have situations where things just do not work out no matter what you do. I tried stopping a buck once and he jumped 5 feet straight up and took 2 or 3 big bounds before stopping and checking things out. (out of range of course). I recently shot at a doe who had stopped on her own, but then took a step just as I shot, and I ended up hitting back more than I wanted. (story to be posted later) I've also had a buck jump the string, but this was a different situation where he was alert of me.

As for me, I'm will probably try stopping again, but it kind of depends on the situtation - how alert he is, how many shot lanes are going to be open etc. Mostly I think on the demeanor of the deer. But if I do stop a deer, I will be aiming low (heart shot) in anticipation of the deer jumping the string. I would much rather take a shot at a deer that has no idea I am there - if only so that the deer does not run as far, etc. I think if the deer realizes that a predator is there, it may want to go farther when hit than just bedding down somewhere close, but this is just my brain rattling around thinking out loud...

Old 11-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I generally bleat with my mouth as I rarely have deer stop exactly where I would want them to. I think the key is to start softly so not to alarm the deer, then if that is not working, loudly. If I see no reaction then, I whistle. You can also generally tell by the body posture/what it is doing if the deer will likely be easy to stop. I have had to yell to stop a buck once even. I agree, you want to avoid getting a deer keyed up before the shot.