Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let down or shoot the ground? >

Let down or shoot the ground?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let down or shoot the ground?

Old 11-15-2008, 02:26 PM

Default RE: Let down or shoot the ground?

That is kinda what I am asking... which is going to scare a deer less. I've heard of people throwing things at deer when they are trying to get out of their stand to keep the deer from seeing them under the assumption that the deer is scared less by having something thrown at it, being whistled at/grunted at etc.than by seeing a human in a tree. Unfortunately I know first hand that an arrow buzzing by a deer without hitting itdoesn't have a long term effect on some deer. I wanted to be able to find the arrow so I chose some soft mud for recovery rather than just launching it into the woods. I'm not saying it was the smartest thing in the world but I wasn't thrilled with the idea of the buck spotting me in a the tree either.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

let down of course. i dont see how that would make more noise thand shooting and hitting the ground.
or more movement that shooting then knocking another arrow.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have been in this situation a good bit. im a ground hunter. i just go with my gut feeling. if i get him, woo hoo! if i don't, i'd still happy that i didnt shoot him and let him run off injured and scared. just let down next time. its not a big deal. half the time, they wont run lol. theres always next time. youll get him!

GOOD LUCK!
Old 11-15-2008, 03:32 PM

I truly appreciate the feedback even if it's to point out that I'm an idiot. Most of my success has come from learning from my mistakes.... not repeating them. Looks like this is probably a learning experience
Old 11-15-2008, 03:36 PM
bigcountry

I don't think your an idiot, and can understand your thought process. I myself would have let down. But you thought it thru, and did what you felt was right.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you can't let your bow down in a controled manner than it sounds like your pulling too much weight. How much are you pulling?? It's not speed it's accuracy and control.

Do you feel like you've been kicked in the nads...Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. Good luck Kiddo!
Old 11-15-2008, 03:57 PM

I only shoot 65 pounds which I can easliy draw and hold. The problem was the buck was taking a very round about way to the doe decoy and in retrospect I drew way too soon. I swayed just a bit and the movement got him to look up briefly, I used my leg to brace myself against the stand and he seemed o.k. with me then. He went back to looking over the decoy. My arms are now burning and I realize I am way beyond any graceful let down. I figured the 2nd movement would be the end of it. I had no expectations of getting another arrow on my string, I just wanted to avoid him pegging me in the tree. I was hoping for some responses of similiar experiences, i.e. "I drew on a deer and he saw me let down but I saw the buck a few days later" or "I drew on a deer and had to let down and that was the last time I saw the deer". I have a lot of respect for other hunters experiences and the fact that most are suggesting to let down is telling me that was probably the smart thing to do.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Dominant Buck

If you can't let your bow down in a controled manner than it sounds like your pulling too much weight. How much are you pulling?? It's not speed it's accuracy and control.
Just tonight (my 65th sit of the year) I realized how NICE it is to shoot my bow at 60#'s (for the very reason cited in this thread). I drew my bow near last light (to see if I could still center my pin housing if a deer came in) and just marveled at how easy it is to let down with this poundage.

I can put my intended target inside my pin housing and draw it straight back....never letting it come out of the housing. I can let down doing the same thing.

I don't see me going back up in #'s.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

That doesn't make much sense at all. The deer had to have heard your bow go off and you would make far more movement knocking another arrow after doing that. My guess would be he ran off after that. Spooked or not he prob went just far enough to where he thought he was safe then turned around and stood still and tried to pick you out.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 442deer

That's just retarded.
Lmao!

Quick Reply: Let down or shoot the ground?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.