Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let down or shoot the ground? >

Let down or shoot the ground?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let down or shoot the ground?

Old 11-15-2008, 01:13 PM

Default Let down or shoot the ground?

I had a deer come straight at me when I was at full draw, it was checking out my decoy. I held for as long as I could and I knew the buck was either going to figure out the doe was plastic or see me let down so I aimed about 10 yards to his left at his feet in a debris free patch of mud and let the arrow go hoping it wouldn't know where the shot came from. Right or wrong?
Old 11-15-2008, 01:15 PM

Default RE: Let down or shoot the ground?

That's just retarded.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I dont see what that accomplishes? He could have seen your bow shoot, and if he didnt he would be alert. Then there is no chance for you to knock a new arrow. Plus he could here your bow in the tree most likely and spot you.

Just slowly let down....seems like the best thing to do [&:]
Old 11-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

why wouldn't you just slowly let down?? shooting an around will make noise, fling an arrow into something making noise, then you have to grab another arrow(making more movement), nock it, attach the release, then draw, then hopefully he will still be on your property by the time your ready to take another shot. just putting it into reality for you. sorry if i sound rude, im not trying to
Old 11-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

Way to dull your head.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:34 PM

I'm thinking I let down and I am busted in the tree, no way I see the buck again from that stand again this year. I shoot the ground and all it is is a thump and maybe the buck isn't sure what happened. I couldn't hold it any longer so I was letting down no matter what. The buck was at about 20-25 yards looking my way but not directly at me. After the shot I got the big lollipop jumps for about 50 yards and he stopped to look back so I am thinking I may not have been busted. Usually when I get busted in the tree it is a dead run and no looking back. Constructive critisism is appreciated.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:41 PM

Not sure about you but one of my rigged hunting arrows runs 20 bucks.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah to add on to what i was saying, you will probably ruin the broadhead and possibly mess up the arrow as well.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:53 PM

I am out a broadhead.... but I'd pay $20 to see the buck again. If I let down and the buck spots me, does anyone think I'll see that buck again in this area?
Old 11-15-2008, 02:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Angry Beaver

I am out a broadhead.... but I'd pay $20 to see the buck again. If I let down and the buck spots me, does anyone think I'll see that buck again in this area?
If you honestly believe that shooting an arrow into the ground is going to scare a buck LESS than letting down then keep at it. Oh and i forget about the lighted nocks. That puts me at 30 bucks an arrow.

Quick Reply: Let down or shoot the ground?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.