Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Monster PA Buck Down >

Monster PA Buck Down

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Monster PA Buck Down

Old 11-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Monster PA Buck Down

Just got a text message from Chad (PAHardwoods) he found the monster PA Buck he shot at last light yesterday.

Congrats mate.

He will be along later with the story.

Sorry about the crappy pic it was taken with a cell phone and sent to me in a text message.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Monster PA Buck Down

That a boy Chad, congratulation's!!
Old 11-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Way to go Chad! Congrats buddy.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Doesn't matter to me one way or another (congrats, Chad)....but was this with his trad bow?

Either way....again.congrats!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

but was this with his trad bow?
I think he cheated and used the compound.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

What a slammer, congrats
Old 11-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats
Old 11-14-2008, 11:57 AM

Well guys here is the "Monster" LOL. I shot him last night at 4:45pm after deciding to take a half day off of work. I arrived at my parking spot and just when I climbed out of my truck. Well just then the landowner came by and proceeded to talk my ear off. He is one heck of a talker. LOL!!! Well i was finally was able to break away from him and start heading to my stand, I entered the CRP field to head to the opposite corner of the property to get to my stand. Well just then Spike Buck Stood up and ran about 20yds and waited for 1 minute then decided to take off and when he did he was followed by a basket racked 8pt and a doe. The 2 buck proceeded to chase the doe up the ridge and over the top. Just then I decided to change my stand location and go to my hunting buddies Ladder stand straight up over the ridge. I arrived at the ladder and climbed up. But when I went to pull my bow up the rope was stuck on an "S" Hook on the stand. Well I pulled on it and when it got unstuck it jumped and caused my bow to smack into a log at the base of the tree...Grrrrrrr!!! well i got the bow up and found i nocked my windage adjustment off. Luckily I know exactly where it goes due to marks i placed on my sight but I dont have any allen wrenches with me. So proceeded to use my EZ hanger to pound it back into place. LOL. By that time another doe ran by all by herself at about 60-70yds and shortly there after another spike buck came pushing a doe past me. Right after that I heard a noise behind me...well if it wasn't the landowner coming to get up in the stand Im in. You see when we spoke earlier he asked where I was going and I told him another location but that changed when I saw that 8pt. LOL! Well I told him my story and he backed out to go to another spot. So I sat there until about 4:40 or so when I look to my right and see this buck coming with his head to the ground hell bent on finding a doe. Well as he came in he caught a bit of movement from me as I grabbed my bow and looked up at me. But only pased for a brief moment and went on his way. I attribute this to my enigma camo and of course his need to find a hot doe. LOL! I decided to take him as soon as I saw he was legal and waited for him to pass behind a cluster of oaks so I could draw on him. I picked an opening about 20yds away and as he entered it I mouth grunted and he stopped and I let the arrow fly.. As it hit I head a loud smacking and thud sound and he proceeded to run off down the hill with his tail tucked and about 7" of my arrow sticking out of him. I felt my shot was a bit back But not aweful. But immediatly though I should probably let hm sit the night. As I thought about it my guess was that I caught liver and maybe nicked a lung and smacked the arrow into the far front leg, hence no pass through. He also was slightly quartering away from me when I shot. So i gathered up my gear as it was rapidly getting dark and as I lowered my bow down it slipped out of my bow sling and smacked into that dang log again. Grrrrrrr. I get down and it seems ok. I go look for blood and hair and see nothing. I then walk about 50yds the way he ran to where I last saw him and nothing. So i decided to back out and go to the shop to check my bow and then convince my buddies who own the archery shop to come help me find him in the morning. Checked the bow and all was fine.

Met Bruce and Jim at 7am and we went to the farm to start the seach and within minutes we found good blood and soon came across some of my arrow busted off. We followed the blood trail for about 50yds but right after we found the arrow the blood stopped. We looked and looked but found no blood and could not find a definite path he took. So all was to be done was do a grid search. Well after about an hour of searching I found him pilled up in some tall grass a stiff and such. All in all he piled up about 150yds from where I shot him and my guess is he died shortly after I shot him. But im still glad I waited and backed out last night.

He was shot with a 2005 Bowtech Old Glory set at 29" Draw and 68lbs. My arrow was a 520grn 29" Gold Tip Series 22 with 220grn Muzzy Phantoms on the front with a wrap and 5" Feathers with an additional 20grains of weight behind the insert. I never did find the rest of my arrow and broadhead that was inside him. I will go back and look for it at a later date.

He is my guess 2 1/2yrs old and a 6pt not a monster but Im happy all the same. I will be getting him all scored up and entered in the contest.

Here are the pics Enjoy.

This is My Buddy jim one of the Co-owners of the Shop I help at.

This is Bruce the other Co-owner of the shop. Notice he is covering up the Bowtech logo on the grip of my bow. Bruce is a diehard Mathews guy and we rib each other all the time about Mathews and Bowtech.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice buck. congrats
Old 11-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

congrats!!

Quick Reply: Monster PA Buck Down

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.