Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Where and what did I hit?? >

Where and what did I hit??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where and what did I hit??

Old 11-13-2008, 07:56 PM

Default Where and what did I hit??

Greetings all,

Anywho....I sat tonight in a slight drizzle waiting for a lame doe thats been seen on the farm but instead a nice 10pt. came into range....bout 35 yards. I got off a good broadside shot and heard the impact....found the arrow...went clean through......

..........but........

He took 2-3 leaps after the shot and then slowly walked into the woods with his tail down, and the arrow itself has some blood but also alot of what appears to be half digested corn on the fletching and some shorter whitish hairs. No blood trail to speak of and no crash heard. I don't know if he'll lay down where the other deer in the area do since I've never seen this buck this season.

I am leaving it till morning since the rain has made blood searching a mute point but heres the question, where did I posibly hit him and is it wise to go tommorow morning or wait longer like say after noon??

Thanx

Old 11-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Where and what did I hit??

When in doubt, back out. Since you saw blood and half digested corn, let him lay. You probably hit the deerlow in the stomach considering the short white hairs. If there is no blood trail in the morning, go searching for the deer. If you didn't spook him looking for blood or getting out of your stand, he'll probably be a couple hundred yards from your stand. Be prepared; he could still be alive in the morning.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed

Good Luck and circle the area.. More help is better.

ORIGINAL: loganw

When in doubt, back out. Since you saw blood and half digested corn, let him lay. You probably hit the deerlow in the stomach considering the short white hairs. If there is no blood trail in the morning, go searching for the deer. If you didn't spook him looking for blood or getting out of your stand, he'll probably be a couple hundred yards from your stand. Be prepared; he could still be alive in the morning.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. It sounds like a gut shot. First thing is to back out and wait. Give him 12+ hours. Then go back and look for him. He may be still alive.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:33 PM
bigcountry

Sounds like a good ole low gut shot. I have seen deer travel up to a mile with that shot. He will die eventually.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:43 PM

nope, didn't spook him or jump him on the way out....my buddy has a dog that tracks deer so worst come worst we can try that...but then there goes my area for a few days[&o]
Old 11-14-2008, 04:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like the shot I made on my heshe deer earlier this week. You actually hit a little lower and further back than you think, or he appeared to be broadside but was actually quartering towrds or away, more than likely away. Mine reacted the same way, but didnt really tuck its tail. it flickered its tail, but the only difference was my exit took out part of the heart and there was no tracking needed with the amount of blood butI sat still and watchedit as he walked away and layed down. I gave him a good 1 1/2 hours and foundit dead.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:16 AM

YOu said he was broadside and your shot was about 35 yards. This would give you a relatively flat angle. The white hair indicates a low hit. Giving the information you wrote, I think you hit him low in the guts.

I would give him until mid-late morning before you went back out there. Since it rained and you have no blood trail, try to get as many people to cover the area. If you didn't spook him, he will probably be within a few hundred yards of where you hit him.

Good luck and post back.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

any luck??
Old 11-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, certainly sounds like a low gut hit. When a deer is gut hit, the food in it's digestive track mixes withthe blood of the animaland it casues a serious bloodinfection that eventually kills the deer. It's a horrible death for the animal. He'll die but it alsodepends on how much much food matter is spilled. For a low hit like it soundsyou made where not much blood circulation happens, it can take up to three days in some cases for the deer to succumb to the wound and eventually die.

If you hit low guts, it sounds like 1. you misjudged the distance and 2. hewas moving or he moved forward after yourshot. 35 yards is still a long shot at a deer. I shoot at almost 330 fps and Idon't take that long of a shot unless he's wide open and standing still and at ease.35 yards can be a real low percentage shot unless you've practiced at that range extensivly andhave ranged the shot andknow the shot distance before you take it. Guys have torespect the animal they are hunting andhave discipline not to take a shot that pushes the limits ofthe individuals skill. Too many guys are doing it and it gives the sport a bad name.We owe it to the animal we're hunting to dispatch itas quickly as possible and not take low percentage shots unlessthe shooters skill accomodates the shot.

I'd definately take your bow with you,you might find him in a bed still alive and you might be able to get another one in him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.