Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 When do you become a hunter and not some  guy in the woods trying kill something. >

When do you become a hunter and not some guy in the woods trying kill something.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When do you become a hunter and not some guy in the woods trying kill something.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Spike

Default RE: When do you become a hunter and not some guy in the woods trying kill something.

What worries me most is knowing i will need to spend another 2000 or so on hunting stuff between a climber and muzzle loader and other stuff next season.
Hey Tim, you are spending WAY too much on hunting gear...I have killed some nice deer (im 23 by the way) in the last ten years I have been hunting (eh, seriously bowhunting for 6 now). I would say 0 of those deer were the result of me having new hunting gear or stands or whatever. Most of the stuff I have is used before I get it (either from my dad, grandpa or online). I shoot a 25 year old bow and am efficient out to 25 yards. I use two hang on stands that were bought for 60 bucks for the pair, with 20 steps too. Point being, spend less and don't worry as much. Spend more time afield as that will give you an immeasurable edge compared to having new gear. But hey, its your money and if you have it to spend more power to ya.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: When do you become a hunter and not some guy in the woods trying kill something.

1st of all there are many people In the woods who kill stuff that I don't consider hunters (bow and gun). They are the trespassers, unethical shooters and decision makers, the people who don't give a **** about the animal, the land there on, other people, etc. I think you get my point, these people are not hunters to me all though they kill animals. Hunters are people like you Tim who are out there trying there buts off to get what there after In an ethical manner. Successful or not successful, your still hunting and there for your a hunter. I think you've learned allot this year and you've got a ton of learning ahead of you Tim, at least your trying man. Keep at It and you will get there big guy.

You are a hunter Tim through and through bud!!
Old 11-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think i am already an addict i started my gear list last feb. Every time i did something buy a new truck buy a boat. I thought what will that change for hunting.
I have already started my gear this for 09. In fact i am planning on how i can save the money up.
ORIGINAL: crenshaw

your a hunter on your way to becoming an addict!!! like most of us on this forum. I tought myself all the way too. My dad started me when i was young, 4th grade and left me to my own devices after that. I developed over the years, and by 10th grade i got my first deer, and it was with my bow. I actually am responsiable for getting my dad back into hunting, for to many years his career kept him out of the woods. A hunter goes into the woods and hunts a hunting addict is someone who lives to hunt and does everything he can year round to get himself ready for when he can actually hunt. Sounds to me like your on your way to becoming an addict.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not saying you can't buy your way to success, because in a way you can. But new gear isn't always necessary. Spend twice the amount of time scouting that you do hunting and the hunting will get alot easier. Trust me, we've all been there. I hope you get one with the shotty to get the monkey off your back. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ya i know money is not every thing.
This year the bulk of my money went for two sets of camo. 125 for boots 175 for a game cart. 179 for a pop up 50 for my tags. NExt year i will be buying a muzzleloader a good climber maybe a new bow. If my dad gets into hunting which i think he might i will sell him my reflex and buy a new one. so theres another 800 or so. I got thinking i could have took the 1500 i spent this year went to an outfitter and properly got a deer for the same money.
ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

I'm not saying you can't buy your way to success, because in a way you can. But new gear isn't always necessary. Spend twice the amount of time scouting that you do hunting and the hunting will get alot easier. Trust me, we've all been there. I hope you get one with the shotty to get the monkey off your back. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're a hunter! Now learn to count coup and you'll be an incredibly good hunter. You do not need a whole lot of gear to count coup. You just need to get out there!

Droptine...I'm with you!