Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 If you're a trophy hunter and... >

If you're a trophy hunter and...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you're a trophy hunter and...

Old 11-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If you're a trophy hunter and...

I wanted to know if you would bench yourself if you felt a particular time of the year was easier than another time? I never said you should...big difference.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I would say that if you are targeting a single particular buck your best bet would be to NOT hunt him during the rut because who knows where he will be roaming during that time. In the early season, if your state's season opens early enough, you can catch him on feeding patterns that are more regularly followed and have tipped the odds in your favor for taking him.

By the logic of the initial question, wouldn't hunting him during the rut then be more difficult? If that is the case would you then bench yourself during early season when he is more predictable and then try to hunt his haphazard behavior during the rut to maximize the challenge?
Bry....If you'll go back....somewhere in this thread I mentioned seeing my first mature buck of the year on 10/21 or 10/22 (would have to check my journal).

I feel this EXACT way about him.

I saw him this past Tuesday....about a mile from where I spotted him the first time. He was dogging does. I'd LOVE to know if where I found him the first time was in his regular haunt. And....if that was the case....I'd LOVEto have had another few weeks to hunt him on his mormal pattern/cycle.

That is ALL I've been trying to convey. It's been my very first opportunity to hunt bucks when I've had access to their bedding, feeding and travel routes. Before...I had to hunt the ladies and wait for them to come to me. That worked out fine! But the "challenge", to ME, would be to get one (him?) when he wasn't running willy-nilly through the countryside.

Is shooting THE buck harder during the rut? I think so. Is shooting "A" buck harder? Heck no.

In my woods....I don't have a lot of wall-hangers running around. So....when I find one....I'd like to hunt him....and not rely on him finding me.

Again....that's ALL I've been saying. I meant to ruffle no feathers.
Right, but the essence of Will's original question, if I'm reading it correctly, is that a trophy hunter should want to challenge himself to the greatest extent in the pursuit of his quarry. If that is the case, then wouldn't hunting asingle particular buck during the rut offer the greatest challenge?I would say yes, probably even greater than during theOctober lull.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

I just think this question is some dull motive to make ones self feel better... Its just ridiculous... The challenge is still a challenge anyway you look at it, and if you think trophy hunters are cheating themselves by hunting the rut then obviously you need to try being one to actual formulate an honest opinion on the subject. I personally know that where i hunt, that is just not the case!!
Old 11-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Agreed, Bry....if we're talking "ONE" buck.

My hat's off to anyone who targets a particular animal and harvests him. PERIOD (time of season notwithstanding or relevant).

I also think you guys are interjecting FOR Will. I think he posed the question....and played devil's advocate. I found it VERY interesting....when I applied it to my hunting season.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Agreed, Bry....if we're talking "ONE" buck.

My hat's off to anyone who targets a particular animal and harvests him. PERIOD (time of season notwithstanding or relevant).

I also think you guys are interjecting FOR Will. I think he posed the question....and played devil's advocate. I found it VERY interesting....when I applied it to my hunting season.
Not interjecting, just trying to interpret correctly.

Will, is my interpretation in line with where you were going or am I off base from what you were thinking?
Old 11-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will also hit the bottom tomorrow when indiana gun season startes
ORIGINAL: bawanajim

I will become a true bottom feeder tomorrow, when I partake in NY's shotgun hunt during the rut. If only I were hunting a high fenced baited enclosure.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bryan,

Your scenario may or may not be the case. I have seen it go both directions. I have hunted places in south Texas and Kansaswhere natural food, water, and does are abundant. Hunting pressure is extremely low and the bucks have no reason to roam. These bucks are killed not because they were out smarted but rather because they were trying to propagate. Without the rut, hunting them is a different ball game and much more of a challenge. Now obviously every local is going to be different. In your area, a particular buck may become more challeging to hunt during the rut than outside therut.If this is the case, then by all means hunt him during the rut!Remember, I prefaced this by saying "you have elevated the degree of difficulty"
Old 11-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

What exactly is my way? Anyone care to guess?
I don't really care how you go about your hunting, what ever rocks your boat. I've read enough threads of yours that you do go on guided hunts and a few high fenced hunts as well. Am I correct? If not I apologize. No knock on you, hunt like you want like I said earlier but how can you go saying what your saying after hunting the way you have If what I stated Is true? That makes no sense what so ever to me. Explain that to me. Possibly practice what you preach maybe?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

This post made me laugh....
Old 11-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

I sure hope I've made you think though.
Some of you guys need to look back at the original post and open your minds a little. Will has said on many occasions that hunting is not fair.....well because it's not. We hold most (if not all ) the cards and the deer (in this case) have only their natural survival instincts (and legal hunting hours/days) to keep them alive.

To rephrase what he's asking without giving an example for all to criticize, for those who consider themselves "Trophy Hunters".....

Would making the hunt for your particular quarry more difficult, give you a bigger sense of accomplishment in the end and if so why don't you do that?

Quick Reply: If you're a trophy hunter and...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.