HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   The dreaded quartering to you shot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/273360-dreaded-quartering-you-shot.html)

bigcountry 11-13-2008 10:32 AM

The dreaded quartering to you shot

Every year I need to be reminded how stupid of a shot this is. I shot an 8pt on Wednesday. And he was little close for me, and I felt anytime I was going to get busted. So, being overconfident with my bowtech commander and 460gr arrows, I let it fly to his shoulder. I shook my head after I hit the trigger. It penetrated maybe 12" with a thunderhead BH. Good news, is I saw him drop in 40 yards. Bad news is, it could have been a different story. Just for analysis, I tried to see blood. Not a drop up to where he dropped. If this was an evening hunt, this could have been bad.

So even though I hit the heart and it ended well with him expiring in litterly seconds, just a reminder guys, that its a low precentage shot and you could be sick tracking one with no blood. 3" higher, and maybe instead of 40 yards, he could have went more.

Guess I need to add a picture.:)

mossberghunter93 11-13-2008 10:35 AM

RE: The dreaded quartering to you shot

mine was quartering to me and i didnt seem to have a problem traking him

teedub31 11-13-2008 10:38 AM

Know what you mean. Quartering to Good with Gun, Big NO-NO with a Bow.

Greg / MO 11-13-2008 10:39 AM

Good point. Don't be afraid to take someone else's experience and use it as your wisdom. Just because it worked out well once for you doesn't mean it will every time, nor should it be expected to.

IL-Cornfed 11-13-2008 10:41 AM

I'd have to agree. I believe it's the biggest bonehead shot they take. I also can't tell you the number of lost deer stories that I have to listen to every season thanks to the quartering towards shot. :(

BigJ71 11-13-2008 10:50 AM

I love that angle when I'm gun hunting because I know I can take out some shoulder bone and still plow through the vitals. I don't like that shot with my bow because the odds of getting your arrow to find a path to the vitals that doesn't require penetrating heavy bone is far less than a broadside or quartering away shot.

BTW......Congrats on the buck bigcountry!!

MGH_PA 11-13-2008 10:50 AM

I let the biggest buck of my life walk last night at 20yds because he only presented me with a head on and quartering to shot. It was close, but I cannot live with wounding an animal like that. There's always another day...like tonight...hopefully[8D]

CCPaHunter 11-13-2008 11:04 AM

MGH-PA

Good for you. I did the same Monday morning. Not the biggestbuckI ever seen but it filled my criteria for a shooter. Ken

DaveH 11-13-2008 11:11 AM

Congrats on the buck Mark! :) I've had to pass up several bruisers (including a dandy 140+ buck) because they wouldn't accomodate me in presenting the angle I needed. I let a huge 9 point go at 17 yards a few years ago hoping to get a better angle that never materialized. He was found rotting in a stream several weeks later from where some poachers failed to find him. I was told about it by a neighbor and by that time, someone had found the buck and remove the rack as well.

I'm glad it worked out well for you.

MN/Kyle 11-13-2008 11:12 AM

Congrats bigcountry, glad it worked out!