Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Success Rate...Morning vs. Afternoon >

Success Rate...Morning vs. Afternoon

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Success Rate...Morning vs. Afternoon

Old 11-13-2008, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default Success Rate...Morning vs. Afternoon

In the past I have not been a huge morning hunter...maybe go out half a dozen times a season. This year I have gone out much more often in the morning, but am not seeing nearly as many deer as I see in the afternoons.
I'm setting myself up in travel areas that lead from food sources back to bedding areas, but still not seeing the traffic I thought I would.
Any others with similar experiences?
For those who hunt both morning and evening about equally, do you see/kill more earlier or later?

Appreciate your thoughts.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Success Rate...Morning vs. Afternoon

I have never killed a good buck in the morning. But I am to stupid to stay in bed most mornings during the rut. Except this morning windy and raining.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

This year due to certain circumstances, I have had to hunt mornings much more than afternoons also.
I have seen just as much deer activity if not more than I was used to seeing in the afternoons.
I have to say, that in the future,I think I am going to keep going out in the am.
DW
Old 11-13-2008, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

i hunt in the afternoon mostly because im to tired/lazy to get out in the moring but ive shot my deer at
button buck-7:45 AM
4 pointer- 5:18 PM
9 pointer- 2:20 PM
i see about the same amount morning VS. night
Old 11-13-2008, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

In the past I have not been a huge morning hunter...maybe go out half a dozen times a season. This year I have gone out much more often in the morning, but am not seeing nearly as many deer as I see in the afternoons.
I'm setting myself up in travel areas that lead from food sources back to bedding areas, but still not seeing the traffic I thought I would.
Any others with similar experiences?
For those who hunt both morning and evening about equally, do you see/kill more earlier or later?

Appreciate your thoughts.
How long do you stay on stand in the morning?

I often see bucks between 9-11
Old 11-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

Usually well past nine, but usually not until 11 unless it's going to be an all day hunt...then I don't leave at all.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

I must say that I usually have run ins with good bucks in the evening. I do see deer in the morning and I have shot nice bucks in the morning, one of the biggest ive ever seen was in the morning, but 9 times out of 10 its early afternoon or evening for me.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Site Buck Guru

About 50/50 on mature bucks. 9 in the AM and 8 in the PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Dominant Buck

I've killed 5 bucks. Three in the AM and two in the PM.

I think you need to divide this into two times of the year....and THEN ask your question, again. Pre-rut v. rut and post.

I don't think I've ever SEEN a mature buck in the AM prior to the rut. Both of my mature bucks were taken in the AM...during the rut.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I've killed 5 bucks. Three in the AM and two in the PM.

I think you need to divide this into two times of the year....and THEN ask your question, again. Pre-rut v. rut and post.

I don't think I've ever SEEN a mature buck in the AM prior to the rut. Both of my mature bucks were taken in the AM...during the rut.
Good point. All of my morning bucks, except 1, were taken in Nov. All of the bucks taken in Oct were in the evening. Over the years I've shifted to hunting mornings starting the last few days of Oct then hunt mostly evenings starting in Dec.

Quick Reply: Success Rate...Morning vs. Afternoon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.