Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Slowing your hunting arrow down? >

Slowing your hunting arrow down?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Slowing your hunting arrow down?

Old 11-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Slowing your hunting arrow down?

Jeff I have never not seen where my arrow hit

Welcome to the good side of the force
Old 11-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

My PSE Mojave is slow. about 228fps. I'd like to get a faster bow but I don't want to sacrifice a smooth and silent bow. I'd like to settle on about 260fps and may go back to aluminum arrows with more weight too. I've shot the General and really liked it. My DL is 29". Maybe next year. The extra speed I want is to get a flatter trajectory. I get about a 6" drop from 20-30yds. I'd like to cut that in half if possible. Gives you more margin for error if you estimate the distances wrong.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:33 PM

Shot a8 point last night 25 yards. Complete pass through, arrow stuck in the ground and through the paddle bone on exit with 70 lbs and a 415 gr axis arrow with a 100 gr. G5 montec broadhead. I getting 100 % pass through with this set up. I'm shooting 280 fps and the bow is supper quit. Check out my pictures of the hit and story
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3168391
Old 11-13-2008, 04:06 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kwilson16

Because 125 grains broadhead selection is very limited.
Are you being serious?
Old 11-14-2008, 04:56 AM

I don't understand the lack of pass thru shots, unless the shots were quartering away and the off side shoulder was consistentlyhit or a large diameter mechanical was being used.

I've killed 22 deer; 16 with mechanicals and 6 with fixed heads.
About 19 out of 22 times the arrow weight was under 400 grains.
I've killed several deer (9) with 316 - 345 gr. arrows.
The others were killed with 345-375 grain arrows.
Arrows had about 58-67# of KE, with a typical KE of 60# momentum of .42
I've gotten a pass through 19 out of 22 times.
The 3 times I did not get a pass thru: once I hit spine and twice I used a 2'' diameter mechanical.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't understand the lack of pass thru shots, unless the shots were quartering away and the off side shoulder was consistentlyhit or a large diameter mechanical was being used.
ocd...

I won't say I "prefer" a quartering away shot, but...given the chance (at close range) I'll take that in a heartbeat. I'd say most of the shots I cite WERE quartering away. And ALL were shot (for the numbers cited) with the Rage 2-blade.

My new arrow will be built by Wednesday. I'll get my bow tuned and sighted in on Wednesday....and I'll be hunting with the new arrow setup for the remainder of the season.

Fixed blade BH....+/-520gr arrow. Hopefully pushing around 250fps.

I'll report back results....if I'm lucky enough to get a shot on a deer.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:21 AM

Jeff, I'm likely going down the same path as you next season.

My set up will be:
Bowtech allegiance
28"
62 lbs
27" Goldtip CAA 400
100 grain insert/100grain broadhead 457 total grains
19.83% FOC

Might go with a 125 gr. broadhead but it shows my spine getting a little too weak with my current arrow. Switching over to grizztricks. Should be a devastating combo.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Dominant Buck

MO ....I have the new 100gr muzzy inserts, 4" QS vanes, 6" reflective wraps in a box, here, now.

My arrows should be here, Tuesday. I've got PLENTY of spine to push this arrow...and I'm excited as to how it may work out. Like I said....hopefully I'll get another opportunity at a deer to test them out. If I do....I'll report my results. I'm betting a full pass-thru.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:08 AM

I guess I don't under stand thispost too im ocd. I have shot around 400 gr. and 100 gr.broadheads for years and have shot game quartering away and through the paddle bone. I shot down on one and hitabout the last rig out and the arrow came out under his neck and was stuck in the ground. Maybe it's because I shoot supper tuned. tight grouping,70 lb bows and heads like the thunderhead and now the G5 montes, But I blow through every thing deer up to elk like they were a card broad box, I havepassed through two bull one at about 25 yards and one at 40 yards. I'll will say because I can't remember not passing through one so, 98 % of the time. The only time I can remember not is when I try ed some mechanical heads and when I shot aluminums and thats been a lot of years ago. I shot a buck this year at 25 yards and was a little to far forward just missed the paddle bone going in and right through the middle of it low going out and the arrow past through like he was made of card broad and sticking in the ground about 6 inch's. Maybe if I were shooting 50 lb bow areI hada real noisy bow. All my bows have be supper quit shooting, have good speed and put out a lots of KE.

Good luck on every thing just my opinion
Old 11-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

That really is a great point. I am currently looking for a new bow this year. Speed was my #1quality...not sure now...

Quick Reply: Slowing your hunting arrow down?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.