Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shot the one I was hunting >

Shot the one I was hunting

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot the one I was hunting

Old 11-13-2008, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default Shot the one I was hunting

Well, I got him. I got the big 6 pointer that I have been after. I passed on a couple 8 pointers, a 7 and a smaller 6 over the past week. I fist saw this buck at just about dark last tuesday night, he walked to within 12 yards and stood broadside. It was so dark I could barely see my pins and I wanted to wait. Next I saw him 2 mornings later bedded up with a doe and he was fighting off every buck in the area. I saw him fight with 7 different bucks that morning....and eventually he bred her. It was awesome to watch, but he was out of range. Then this morning it all came together.
It was just barely getting light and I could hear crashing out in the power lines in front of me. I watched as a small basket rack 8 pointer chased a doe all over the place I must have seen him chase her about 400 yards before he gave up. At that time he was 35 yards in front of me putting a beating on a small tree... rubbing the crap out of it. As I was trying to get a better look at him to see what his rack looked like, I hear more crashing coming my way. Now I could see the big guy coming hot on the butt of a doe, he was grunting like crazy. She broke into a trot, and put some distance between herself & him and she came right into my shooting lane at 20 yards. I drew as he entered the lane, gave a mouth bleet, and he stopped. It was still really early between 6:15 and 6:20 and hard to see, but I knew it was him by the wide rack, I settled my pin and touched off the shot.
I heard it hit him, but could not see where it hit him. He ran 15 yards and stood behind a big oak, I could see his rear end, and he stayed there for about 5 minutes. Then he walked out and stood still for a few more minutes with his nose down on the ground. Then he walked real stiff legged up over a knoll and out of sight. I was wondering how hard hit he was, and decided to wait a while and give him some time. I sent my wife a text, and broke out the camcorder and filmed the doe he was chasing and some other deer.... so now 1 hour later.... I climbed down, and found my arrow in 2 pieces. There was good bright blood and I began to track him. Up over the knoll where he went out of sight, there was a big puddle of blood, then it began to get less and less. Then it seemed to stop. So now I was marking last blood and looking for next blood.... when I here some thrashing around. About 6o yards away I see a small tree shaking as if a buck were rubbing it.... but I see no deer. So I circle around for a better view..... and by the time I got there.... no more thrashing.... all quiet.... there he laid.
Here is something weird.... I hit him with 1 arrow and put 6 holes in him. My arrow went through his front leg up high... under the armpit.... through the lower chest.... through the front leg on the other side.... and out. Taking out 1 lung with the downward angle.
He had been fighting so much, one of his eyes was all gouged and completely white with green crap around it. But man what a great buck. I am glad I held out and did not settle for a smaller one. Scroll down for the pics.
DW

Old 11-13-2008, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shot the one I was hunting

Here is another photo
DW

Old 11-13-2008, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

Nice buck and great story. Congrats!
Old 11-13-2008, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

One more pic
DW

Old 11-13-2008, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great story bud. Congrats. I am sure it feels wonderful.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrat's great story.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

he looks heavy
Old 11-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

I did not have him weighed but I can tell you it was the heviest buck I have
ever shot.
DW
Old 11-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well done!! what a brute. Congrats and thanks for sharing the story and pics
Old 11-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

Hey congrats on the buck!

Quick Reply: Shot the one I was hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.