Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I BLEW IT !!! TWICE ---- NEED ADVICE >

I BLEW IT !!! TWICE ---- NEED ADVICE

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I BLEW IT !!! TWICE ---- NEED ADVICE

Old 11-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I BLEW IT !!! TWICE ---- NEED ADVICE

Oh I may tend to disagree. I know that killing a deer, any deer, certainly helps many of us relax and feel more confident. I, personally, try to not shoot at any deer that seems alert to something being "amuck" if at all possible, but I know sometimes that situations present where we can't help it. Not saying by any means you did anything wrong, but I have to wonder if that buck just was so QUICK on the jump that the arrow ended up in his hind-quarter. If you're shooting the General, I know it's a good shooter, and it was quiet when I shot it back in July, but nothing short of silent will prevent deer from jumping string a little, and especially an alert deer is tough as hell. The only one I ever tracked over 130 yds, looked up at me as I was getting ready to release, and I gut shot her from 34yds, when I thought I had a perfect heart shot at the time of release!!! She just moved so far between my release and that arrow getting there I was totally amazed. Again, don't let it get you down that much, and try to focus on follow through as much as possible. Also, good to hear you're no longer "mugging" the trigger!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, they are on the move. Thought of getting out Friday but thunder storms are in the forecast not giving me much time. NY gun season starts Saturday, so if I tag out early, back to PA I go with a bow.....

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

If you know where his core area is, he will be sticking close to it now. You still have a chance at him.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

That was a hard habit to break.....took me a long time, and still have a set back once in awhile

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

Also, good to hear you're no longer "mugging" the trigger!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

so are you sayin that when you shot the deer bolted as the arrow was on its way??? thats happens... you could do everything right an the deer coulda still turned (especially if he was alert) as your arrow wasinflight causin the bad hit.. if that was the case you did nothing wrong jus a part of huntin..
Old 11-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

pretty much, but I wasn't in a hurry to release the arrow. So I tend to think my shot was almost to long of a hold....at this point I second guess everything.

ORIGINAL: MdDave

so are you sayin that when you shot the deer bolted as the arrow was on its way??? thats happens... you could do everything right an the deer coulda still turned (especially if he was alert) as your arrow wasinflight causin the bad hit.. if that was the case you did nothing wrong jus a part of huntin..
Old 11-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

dont worry about it.. hes still out there chasin does... lookin for you around every tree he passes
Old 11-13-2008, 05:51 AM

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

If you know where his core area is, he will be sticking close to it now. You still have a chance at him.
By the two encounters, it sounds like he may already be inthe core area. The buck may get wary of that spot, especially after the second encounter. Maybe try a different tree in the same area.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: elkhuntinut

This has to be the hardest thing to type as the vision is still fresh in my mind. This by far has been a good season for me as before yesterday I have seen 21 bucks between NY & PA...Then yesterday in PA my opportunity presented itself. With 4-5 inches of fresh fallen snow and the wind out of the south, I ventured to my "Ole' Faithful" stand. At 7:30 I was looking at how much snow was hangin' on the trees (as I was sitting down) when I caught a glimpse behind me. There he was, walking from my left to my right, the one we call the Big 9. I stand and turn and wouldn't you know it, he is in a spot that because of limb off my tree, I can't shoot....he continues on his pace, I wait, he walks into the opening, I estimate a heavy 30, shoot and over his back I go...A CLEAN MISS !!!! Now I have my rangefinder around my neck & shoulder, but I thought I knew the yardage...how did I over shoot ??? Well I range it, and it's 24.8 according to the Nikon. IT DOESN"T END HERE..

Around 10am I climb down, head home, tell my story and plan to be back at 3pm. I make it back in and around 5pm here comes a small non-legal PA deer...he disappears. It is now 5:10pm and I am thinking, I will be leaving here in 5 minutes...and that in 30 seconds it can all change....and it did !!! He comes that same buck, down the same trail !!! This time, I know the yardage, I draw and as I am drawing, he looks my way, so I am holding at 1/2 draw and he decides all is ok...I draw, anchor, and he is slightly quartering away looking back at me as he caught something....I steady and as I release, he does a quick out-a-here and I watch as the arrow lands right high in rear quarter.....we tracked the deer this morning well over a half mile, he never bed, he actually went to chasin' as in the open field he did sort of a figure eight with a few runs in there (of course there were other tracks)..and the blood became a spec every 20-25 yards.

I am disgusted with myself at this point,I have practiced alot, got some help with my release from those at the GTG this summer, I have done my homework, got some good pictures of these deer,and to top it off, I have the one I have been chasing injured. Stupidity of not using my rangefinder first actually made me laugh, but to end my season like this, has me frustrated.

I have shot alot of animals with a bow, including an antelope and a few elk. At this point I question what more can I do ?? What should I do different ?? I almost feel like shooting a doe or small legal buck the first opportunity I get to rebuild my confidence cause it's in the dumper right now...

Your thoughts ??? Thanks

Why did you shoot at a buck that was not legal?
Old 11-13-2008, 06:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. I misjudged the distance to a doe TWICE. She was calm and broadside and I blew it. It sucks but I won't guess distance again. If a deer isn't standing in a spot I pre-ranged I'll put my rangefinder on it. Lesson learned.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

I never shot at the small non-legal deer, when I referred to the "same deer" it was referred to the Big 9 that was missed in the morning.

ORIGINAL: twildasin

ORIGINAL: elkhuntinut

This has to be the hardest thing to type as the vision is still fresh in my mind. This by far has been a good season for me as before yesterday I have seen 21 bucks between NY & PA...Then yesterday in PA my opportunity presented itself. With 4-5 inches of fresh fallen snow and the wind out of the south, I ventured to my "Ole' Faithful" stand. At 7:30 I was looking at how much snow was hangin' on the trees (as I was sitting down) when I caught a glimpse behind me. There he was, walking from my left to my right, the one we call the Big 9. I stand and turn and wouldn't you know it, he is in a spot that because of limb off my tree, I can't shoot....he continues on his pace, I wait, he walks into the opening, I estimate a heavy 30, shoot and over his back I go...A CLEAN MISS !!!! Now I have my rangefinder around my neck & shoulder, but I thought I knew the yardage...how did I over shoot ??? Well I range it, and it's 24.8 according to the Nikon. IT DOESN"T END HERE..

Around 10am I climb down, head home, tell my story and plan to be back at 3pm. I make it back in and around 5pm here comes a small non-legal PA deer...he disappears. It is now 5:10pm and I am thinking, I will be leaving here in 5 minutes...and that in 30 seconds it can all change....and it did !!! He comes that same buck, down the same trail !!! This time, I know the yardage, I draw and as I am drawing, he looks my way, so I am holding at 1/2 draw and he decides all is ok...I draw, anchor, and he is slightly quartering away looking back at me as he caught something....I steady and as I release, he does a quick out-a-here and I watch as the arrow lands right high in rear quarter.....we tracked the deer this morning well over a half mile, he never bed, he actually went to chasin' as in the open field he did sort of a figure eight with a few runs in there (of course there were other tracks)..and the blood became a spec every 20-25 yards.

I am disgusted with myself at this point,I have practiced alot, got some help with my release from those at the GTG this summer, I have done my homework, got some good pictures of these deer,and to top it off, I have the one I have been chasing injured. Stupidity of not using my rangefinder first actually made me laugh, but to end my season like this, has me frustrated.

I have shot alot of animals with a bow, including an antelope and a few elk. At this point I question what more can I do ?? What should I do different ?? I almost feel like shooting a doe or small legal buck the first opportunity I get to rebuild my confidence cause it's in the dumper right now...

Your thoughts ??? Thanks

Why did you shoot at a buck that was not legal?

Quick Reply: I BLEW IT !!! TWICE ---- NEED ADVICE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.