HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Following in Tradition, ABD in "Bama (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/273158-following-tradition-abd-bama.html)

24to1 11-12-2008 08:41 AM

Following in Tradition, ABD in "Bama

Not the biggest but my First with a bow. Him and his buddy showed up under my stand Friday night. I watched them for a while trying to get a draw on this one but couldn't due to the other buck looking up at the time I wanted to draw. They spooked and ran off together but only to the edge of the woods. When they came back out, about 2 minutes later they had a buddy with them. I took some video of this one and another one sparring. They were just jackin' around, nothing real serious. I was about to give up on them as light was fading when they came back and continued grazing. I waited and waited for him to clear his Right Front leg and when he finally did I checked his buddy. His buddy had his nose to the ground so I drew. I let it fly and heard a WHACK like somebody busting a 1 x 6 plank and was afraid I stuck it in his shoulder. He mule kicked and took off, flag waiving. His buddy hung around like "Hey Dude? Whats Up?" I saw where this guy went and watched him for about 50 yds. His buddy finally cleared the field about 20 minutes later. I climbed outta my stand and went to see if I could find the Arrow. First thing I found was the nock!!! Looked a lil more and found the arrow about 6 feet away. The arrow had broken in 2 places about 3 and 5 inches down the shaft from the fletching. Determined later that the broken arrow may have been caused by him mule kicking before the arrow had totally passed through. The fletching was covered in slimy red blood so I knew I had a good hit. I then walked the 1/4 mile back to the truck to get my flashlight. I made the decision that if I found really good blood I would persue but if I lost it at all I would back out and retrieve him in the morning. Well it had rained here in 'bama most of the day friday and ALL the leaves looked wet. I found what looked to be blood and put my hand in it. My hand came back literally covered in blood. About 5 more feet and I found the same thing. I looked up and not 10 yards from where I was standing was this guy piled up. All in all the deer went about 60 yds. Upon cleaning I found I had hit just below the shoulder blade on the right side, busted both lungs and put about a 3 inch gash in the heart. I was elated in the shot. Pure, clean and fast. Before I release I said a little prayer to guide my arrow straight and swift. This time, it was answered.

Not the biggest of deer but definitely encouraging.

BTW..The blood on the face was for my daughter....she was in the house when I got home. When she saw the blood she screamed "Dad, You Got One!!!!!" she was most excited.......:)

virginiashadow 11-12-2008 08:49 AM

RE: Following in Tradition, ABD in "Bama

24to1--Alright! Great pic and that is awesome you got your first buck with a bow. Good work.

Siman08/OH 11-12-2008 08:50 AM

Congrats!!

V8Ranger 11-12-2008 09:15 AM

Congrats on your first buck with a bow. Nice little buck, should be real good eating.

Rory/MO 11-12-2008 09:15 AM

Congrats!

HuntingBry 11-12-2008 09:31 AM

Congrats on the buck and awesome story about your daughter. That is so cool.

130woodman 11-12-2008 09:37 AM

Congrat's

Jimimac 11-12-2008 09:39 AM

Very nice. You'll never forget that one!