Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Gut shot! Got him. Update below. >

Gut shot! Got him. Update below.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gut shot! Got him. Update below.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gut shot!

Great job finding the deer and redeeming yourself on the second shot. They are amazingly tough animals, glad to hear you were able to ease his passing. Man law demands pictures though..
Old 11-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to get back out there and recover your deer. I know a bunch of people would have stayed home when they seen the rain and figured there was no way to recover. Great job!!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, congratulations!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats. I couldnt wait to get home to see if you found him. Congrats.And like Gmil6184 said, we would like to see pictures.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

They are tough animals. Need to see some pictures .
Old 11-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Spike

Thanks to everyone who posted their advice, especially jmbuckhunterfor directing me to the recovery thread. I often overlook the threads tacked up at the top of the board. Also thanks to everyone else for their comments.

Oddlyenough, I was killing time at the bookstore this afternoon while waiting for my wife and I was reading the current Peterson's Bowhunting. There was a really good article in there about this exact topic.I can't remember the author's name but he wassaying to give a minimum of at least 12 hours on a gut shot deerbefore trying to recover them. He also had a story about a buck he shot that was still alive when he walked up on him the next day....good article.

In the interests of preventing a kick to the sack for violating man law I have attached the only picture I have. I might still get kicked but it's what I got. It's blurry, but my phone camera lens was fogged (rain). I dropped him off at the processor on the way home because after 4 hours in the rain and dragging the deer about 300 yds uphill alone (that's karma for you), I just wanted to be done with it. I thought he just had little nubs, but he was actually a yearling with both horns busted off.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations, crazy story.

Glad you got him
Old 11-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great job on sticking with it. You should be proud on recovering him!

Shane
Old 11-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

I can attest to the 12 hour later fact. I shot a good buck 2 years ago in the afternoon, same thing, hunched up, guts on arrow, watched him bed. Backed out, and came back and hunted spot next morning. Awhile after first light I started my search. About ready to gve up, I happen to look across a draw and there he is, with other deer, looking at me. He then bounds off, not looking really hurt, but not normal. Due to work I wasnt able to come back until 2 days later. I found him with the help of the crows at first light. Unfortunately the dogs got to him, but I did find him and I did get a cape and he is on my wall. But he did live over 18 hours that I know of.
ORIGINAL: 11pt

Thanks to everyone who posted their advice, especially jmbuckhunterfor directing me to the recovery thread. I often overlook the threads tacked up at the top of the board. Also thanks to everyone else for their comments.

Oddlyenough, I was killing time at the bookstore this afternoon while waiting for my wife and I was reading the current Peterson's Bowhunting. There was a really good article in there about this exact topic.I can't remember the author's name but he wassaying to give a minimum of at least 12 hours on a gut shot deerbefore trying to recover them. He also had a story about a buck he shot that was still alive when he walked up on him the next day....good article.

In the interests of preventing a kick to the sack for violating man law I have attached the only picture I have. I might still get kicked but it's what I got. It's blurry, but my phone camera lens was fogged (rain). I dropped him off at the processor on the way home because after 4 hours in the rain and dragging the deer about 300 yds uphill alone (that's karma for you), I just wanted to be done with it. I thought he just had little nubs, but he was actually a yearling with both horns busted off.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on finding him.

Quick Reply: Gut shot! Got him. Update below.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.