Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Gut shot! Got him. Update below. >

Gut shot! Got him. Update below.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gut shot! Got him. Update below.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Spike

Default Gut shot! Got him. Update below.

I was hunting in a ground blind this afternoon on a piece of land with a small vinyard when 3 small bucks came out of the woods. The first one just had two small nubs. I normally wouldn't have shot him, but the owners want some deer gone (grapes are a lot of work). It was an easy 22 yard broadside shot andit should have been no problem. I don't know how I screwed it up but I did. [:@]I missed the rib cage by what seemed like only a coupleinches and the shot looked low in the guts. I suppose I could have gotten some liver, but the deer just hunched a little bit and walked off over the hill. I assumed from his behavior it was a straight gut shot. I looked for the arrow and couldn't find it (buried in the grass I'm sure). I was able to find the spot where he was standing before it got dark. There was some obvious blood spray (not a lot) where the arrow came out and some bits of flesh or guts or something. I just backed off and will look for him in the morning.

Any advice before I head out?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gut shot!

If the deer hunched up and walked away like he took a dump in his pants then you definately killed him.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2987754
Old 11-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Backing out was the best thing you could have done. If you didnt push him Im sure you will find him in the morning, hopefully before the critters do.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is very likely he is dead within 300 yards, probably much less if he walked off. Gut hit deer bed quick and die where they bed. If not pushed it is usually an easy recovery - although not always an easy track to them. Pack a role of toilet paper to mark a trail so you can take a line on where he is heading when you do find sign. Luck!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your first mistake was looking for the arrow.

You saw what you believed to be a questionable shot. Watched the deer walk off all hunched up. Be patient when you run into situations like this. Could cost you the buck of a lifetime if you aren't patient. Learn to backout, and sleep on it and you'll lose a lot less deer in the future.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Spike

I got out at first light this morning. Of course, it was pouring rain so all traces of a trail were obliterated. [:@]The buck had headed over the hill into the woods, so I just started working back and forth in a grid pattern down the hill toward the creek bottom. Fortunately the leaves were pretty much down so I could see quite a bit. There was a ladder stand belonging to another guy so when I made my way to it I figured I would climb up to see what I could see. I was looking around and noticed a rock that looked surprisingly like the color of deer hair. I got down to check it out and it was him - - - - STILL ALIVE.

I thought his eyes looked funny (still dark) and his head was down on his chin and as I was staring at him I saw his chest move. He was obviously too weak to move, or so I thought. I grabbed my bow and snuck back down there. He had his head curled around so I got behind him and put another arrow through his rib cage and then he got up and ran off! He only went about 50 yards and piled up. Still, I found it was amazing that after 14 hours with a hole through his guts he was still alive, let alone able to get up and run. The toughness of these animals is incredile.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:23 AM

ORIGINAL: 11pt
The toughness of these animals is incredile.
They never cease to amaze me. Congrats on finding the deer!
Old 11-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 11pt

I got out at first light this morning. Of course, it was pouring rain so all traces of a trail were obliterated. [:@]The buck had headed over the hill into the woods, so I just started working back and forth in a grid pattern down the hill toward the creek bottom. Fortunately the leaves were pretty much down so I could see quite a bit. There was a ladder stand belonging to another guy so when I made my way to it I figured I would climb up to see what I could see. I was looking around and noticed a rock that looked surprisingly like the color of deer hair. I got down to check it out and it was him - - - - STILL ALIVE.

I thought his eyes looked funny (still dark) and his head was down on his chin and as I was staring at him I saw his chest move. He was obviously too weak to move, or so I thought. I grabbed my bow and snuck back down there. He had his head curled around so I got behind him and put another arrow through his rib cage and then he got up and ran off! He only went about 50 yards and piled up. Still, I found it was amazing that after 14 hours with a hole through his guts he was still alive, let alone able to get up and run. The toughness of these animals is incredile.
Congrats on finding your deer.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you got him! Yes, they are tough...no doubt.

I've noticed that if they're laying on their chin (like you described - like a dog) they have ALWAYS been alive, no matter how dead theyappear.

Now....PICS - PICS - PICS!!!!!

Quick Reply: Gut shot! Got him. Update below.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.