Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Penny for my thoughts??  Heres a dollars worth! >

Penny for my thoughts?? Heres a dollars worth!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Penny for my thoughts?? Heres a dollars worth!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Penny for my thoughts?? Heres a dollars worth!

Gentlemen, especially those that are, or fancy to be, Trophy Hunters. Indulge me, a few moments of your time.

Having chased these wiley critters for more years than I care to admit, I became selective when it comes to squeezing the release. I let many "shooters" go by, waiting on those far and few between "Trophies". I have a few, but I've eaten my share of tag soup too, as our section of NE Ohio isn't Southern Ohio or Illinois, or Wisconsin. But it does hold some whoppers, like most areas do.

So for the past 2 years I went Buck-less, I had many amazing encounters and throroughly enjoy the hunt. But this year, I was feeling pressure, mostly internal but also some external pressure, to put a buck on the ground. In the week prior I passed on no less than 15 Bucks. Small ones, not even a question of shooting. I did have a marginal shooter at 15 yards but legal time was past, even though I could have made the shot. Sunday Morning found me on a field edge, when the 90" 8 point walked by me (see Team 2thread), I made a perfect shot and a quick recovery. There was joy, but, upon putting my hands on him, there was as much regret. I didn't get the "high", the lasting effect of killing a truly big buck, even though I shot the biggest one I'd seen during this season. Now many people would be exstatic about this Buck and thats great. You may be the lucky ones. I took a great animal and am blessed for the opportunity, yet I knew I settled. Thats wasn't fair to me or the Buck. Inhindsight Icould have been just as happy coming home and telling the tale of the buck that I had at 11 yards from the ground stand, and didn't shoot.
But you know what? As hunters we are not judged on encounters. We are judged by animals on the ground, and our walls. I got caught up in the impression, and I'm not saying I'll never shoot another small buck with my bow, but if I do it will be special for another reason.

I've felt this way since Sunday, I've known all along that I shot a buck I normally wouldn't. I went Hunting Sunday afternoon and Monday and tonight. No time off to enjoy the satisfaction of a well planned and executed hunt. Because I needed to be out there. With only a Doe tag. (we are a 1 Buck State)

Tonight Karma came full circle, I saw the buck of my dreams, the local legend. I watched him, texting my wife the whole time. A 10 point came into the field on the heals of a doe. They fed in the cut corn. I watched him for 20 minutes. I ranged him..to be honest alot of things went through my mind. I'm on a private farm and very close to home. I could have taken the doe, it never entered my mind. I watched them feed out of sight in the setting sun.

He was a solid 150 class buck. Wide solid main beams, with 5 tines on the left and 4 upward tines on the right with a drop-tine. My dream buck.

To be a Trophy Hunter is a commitment, many won't understand or desire this type of hunt and thats fine also.

I basically liveWhitetails 24/7 from Mid August through Christmas. There are many worse things than still having a tag in your pocket. I guess this year was a stepping stone, a realization of the type of hunter I desire to be. This doesn't make me any better than anyone, and it's not a debate for what is a good buck, it's just one man's journey.

Tag soup ain't for everyone....but I have some good recipes.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Penny for my thoughts?? Heres a dollars worth!

A trophy in my eyes doesnt always carry a big rack on its head. I think its unnecessary that the big buck culture has you feeling "negative" about taking what im sure is a beautiful buck. I know and understand your motivations and truly believe that what each man/woman decides to shoot is solely their own business and should not/can not be judged by anyone else. That being said your motivations and your own convictions will play a huge role in the overall satisfaction you get from hunting. This further defines the old "to each his own" adage. I hope you find middle ground and get yourself in a situation that has you feeling positive about the pursuit of these great animals. Goodluck.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:41 PM

I feel your pain. I've experienced some of this myself over the last week.

Try to be happy for yourself and not minimize it too much. Taking a big game animal with a bow is always a good accomplishment. There are many guys who would swap places with you...
Old 11-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

when you dont get the high why let it die? I am by no means a stand out or nor do I want it to be taken that way. I live in some really good deer country in east central Illinois. I will not shoot less than a 140 on my first tag and anything less than a 150 on my second. I know that eating a tag is a high possibility but it is worth it. I would rather hunt evey day of season and end up empty handed than to shoot a deer I am not happy with. I passed several 140s and a couple 150 last year and ended up with a 169 however it could have easily went the other way. I know that I am my own worst critic and I push myself sometimes until hunting isnt fun I hold high standard and there is a great sense of accomplishment when I fullfill those goals. when I dont fill them I work that much harder. I have started scouting in january and go thru until season.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hell, I too live in a one buck state,and I've ended enough years with tags to make a world class batch of tag jerky,its chewy but I find itreally lacking in much flavor.[:-]
Your buck is a great buck and you will remember him as special in his own way.
And the jerky from him should be done in time for PA's opener.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:47 PM

Good summation of how I feel, and I have yet to kill a buck...Ive passed alot of bucks in the low 100 range over the past 3 years, including this year...But this year was different, in order to get one down,I decided I would slack on my standards of what I wanted for a first and "settle" for any basket case 8 pointer. Ive seen some monsters, and several 8s from stand this year. I knew the hunt would have to be special for me to shoot though.

Just like 2 weekends ago, My buddy who I dont get to hunt with much tagged along to get some footage for the TV show he films for, we were covered in action. Had probably 11 deer within 50-60 yards in a matter of 5 minutes. Bucks chasing does, bucks chasing bucks, does leading fawns....it was a hard morning to film, simply because it was difficult to pick which deer to film. I had a doe being dogged my a buck sprint directly under my platform. Wally followed the doe on camera but looked up to see me drawing on a small 1.5 8 point. He didnt see the buck (7 yards behind tree from him), and thought I was fixing to shoot a doe. I only had a basketball sized hole in foliage to get it done, so I touched the release. To make a long story short, an unseen twig sent my arrow off, missing him nearly two feet high. The hunt was memorable, he fit my new criteria for a first buck, and it just felt right.

I had passed that exact deer 3 times before that morning, and 2 times since, all within 20 yards. These hunts just didnt feel right for me to take a buck below my standards.

I am torn, I want a buck with a bow bad, but I dont want just any buck...Ive been waiting 3 years for a biggun, why stop now? In order for me to take a smaller sized buck (still 8 points or better), the hunt has to be special to me, and it just has to feel right. That hunt was chaotic and action packed, and I would have been beaming to tag a buck with my buddy filming on such an awesome morning.

I decided I wont take him this year, no matter how many more shots I get. I would have been pleased, but in hindsight, am just as pleased the arrow deflected too. Before the rifle hunters hit the woods, there was a nice 110-115" 2.5 8, a mid 130s buck, and a PIG high 150s, maybe 160" 10 maybe 12 pointer roaming these woods that I have seen during daylight. Itll take one of these three or an equivalent for me to shoot. May go a 3rd (technically 4) year bowhunting without taking my first buck with my bow, but when it finally happens, it will be either the right buck or adecent buck on the right hunt.

Trust me, I understand tag soup all to well. My last buck I have killed was my 2004 rifle kill (118" 8), been bowhunting ever since that one. Killing a doe with my bow got me more shook up than him, I can only imagine what a buck like him with my bow would do.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Dominant Buck

To be a Trophy Hunter is a commitment, many won't understand or desire this type of hunt and thats fine also.
I had this discussion with Lisa tonight. I'm not sure I am cut out for it. I'm not sure I WANT to do it. I had this SAME discussion with a few board members tonight....who all feel the same way.

I convinced myself I'd take a 6 pointer I saw yesterday...if he offered me a shot. I didn't see him, tonight. I saw him this morning....WITH a bigger 8 than I've ever taken. I told myself I'd take either of them this evening and be happy with either one.

Somebody made an analogy about fishing, once, here. Sometimes we lose the joy in taking a 1wt flyrod and catching a lot of bream. We think the only thing that'll make us happy is fishing for trophy bass with a baitcaster.

I need to dust off my flyrod.

I'm tired of WORKING at hunting. I saw a cool deer tonight. He was probably an 8....but EVERY tine he had was broken off. I'd love to have taken him. I will if given the opportunity.

I've second-guessed almost every decision this year on where to hunt. Wind? I don't recall a time I've NOT played it in a LONG, long time. Last year....(my best ever), I never recall stressing over it. I played it.....but not like I have this year.

Have I ever regretted taking one, though? No. I hope I never do. I wish you didn't feel this way about yours, Bob. I can't imagine that.

I'm tired. I'm tired of working at this. I'm gonna have fun from here on out.....and if I dont' take aother deer...that'll be just fine. If I shoot a buck in the next 4-5 weeks.....it'll be one I'll be proud of. He might not be my biggest or the oldest deer out there....but he'll be mine.

Good luck in your hunting, Bob. Hopefully you'll get the one you really want, next year.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:54 PM

I understand where you are coming from TEmbry, but you'll be better prepared to take that buck of a lifetime if you get a few bowkills under your belt. Just a thought.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

Wow, I could feel the highs and lows as I read that. I like your views of this experience. I had an opportunity to shoot a nice 2.5 year old but screwed it up with a miss but I wasn't dissapointed or sick about it since it wasn't really what I was after. Sometimes fate "if that is what you want to call it" seems to taunt us. Maybe now I still have a chance a true "trophy". Your story has boosted my confidence
Old 11-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope this doesn't make you feel worse about the situation and only helps you in your quest to be "the kind of hunter" you say you aspire to be. But...

The definition of integrity is:

[*]Steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code.[*]The state of being unimpaired; soundness.[*]The quality or condition of being whole or undivided; completeness. [/ol]
I hope to oneday be an aspiring trophy hunter as you. As of this date I haven't the skills neccessary. My hat's off to you for realizing and moreso admitting that you did something you otherwise would not do. Let back to back tag soup year's not deter you in your quest.

At the same time, rejoice in your buck. It is a trophy nonetheless!

Quick Reply: Penny for my thoughts?? Heres a dollars worth!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.