HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Lets have a nice camo discussion! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/273072-lets-have-nice-camo-discussion.html)

Jimimac 11-11-2008 06:14 PM

Lets have a nice camo discussion!

While I agree that there are some very cool patterns out there, I've never been one to buy into all the hype. I'm of the opinion that most anything that breaks up the outline works. More often than not, my camo choice is dictated by what is clean at the moment. I'd rather be hunting in clean plain jane woodland camo than a dirty set of pick your favorite brand... By the time the deer is close enough to pick me out of the tree, he is most likely in big trouble. Discuss.

buckmaster 11-11-2008 06:15 PM

RE: Lets have a nice camo discussion!

Ultimate Camo... end of discussion.:D

Jimimac 11-11-2008 06:23 PM

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

Ultimate Camo... end of discussion.:D
Shame on me then. I was completely mismatched in a jacket of one pattern and pants in another when I dropped my buck last week. I really do need to get with the program.

rookie51 11-11-2008 06:47 PM

I agree to a certain degree. I think how wisely a stand isselected is way more important than the camo. Good background is the key in my opinion.

gmil6184 11-11-2008 06:53 PM

I also think that camo is more of a fashion statement (haha obviously using the term "fashion" very loosely) then anything. I don't think I've ever been in a situation where an animal has busted me and I thought "dang! if only I was wearing brand X instead of Brand Y!"

Texgrebby87 11-11-2008 07:06 PM

I am using Mossy oak break up right now, but, I am a huge huge fan of USMC digital Woodland camo, The pixilization really break you up on a tree or stalking in alphalpha.

http://www.amazon.com/8675-ULTRA-FOR...139&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/FORCETM-JACKET...506&sr=8-5

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Woodla...506&sr=8-1

nissan300ztt 11-11-2008 07:08 PM

I use Army spec Digital woodland camo with a digital camo boonie hat. And knee high lacross goretex slip on boots. Get a deer every time.

AF Hunter 11-11-2008 07:11 PM

As long as you can blend in and break up your human (for most of y'all:D) form, that's it for camo. My son had deer under his stand this weekend while wearing black overalls with a camo fatigue jacket. The other half of the coin is scent control.

nissan300ztt 11-11-2008 07:13 PM

As long as you can blend in and break up your human (for most of y'all:D) form, that's it for camo. My son had deer under his stand this weekend while wearing black overalls with a camo fatigue jacket. The other half of the coin is scent control.
I think scent control is BS. Ive never used any sort of scent block or scent lok and ive bagged a deer every year for 11 seasons. Even while wearing jeans and an orange and black camo jacket and smoke a cigar in my stand.

WV Hunter 11-11-2008 07:18 PM

I too think camo is more for the hunters than the prey. Yes, I believe it helps...but I know plenty of folks that have killed piles of deer in carharts, blaze orange, red/black plaid, you name it. We (as hunters) are obsessed with the newest, latest, greatest fad....in all areas, not just camo. I have all types of camo from over the years....I don't really care what I wear, I throw on what is clean that will fit the weather for that day. I have probably 8 different patterns, and rarely wear one that matches top & bottome.

The other day I had my navy blue sweatshirt - and brought my jacket to put on once it got cold. It never gotcold enough for the jacket...so I had on my navy camo I guess. The deer didn't see me....maybe I can start a fad ;)

Ask GregH what type camo he wears.....I got some of that too! I guarantee he ain't out buying the latest greatest [8D]

wahoohunter 11-11-2008 07:44 PM

MOTS pictured here. IMO the best on the market for tree stand hunting right now.

Nissan, As far as saying scent control is BS, would you call yourself a serious hunter? More simply, do you read biological research articles and books where studied have been conducted as to the strength of a deer's nose?

wis_rifle_hunter 11-11-2008 07:55 PM

realtree apg and realtree apHD

TEmbry 11-11-2008 07:59 PM

I have settled with UC and Predator. UC for bigger trees and turkey hunting, predator (fall grey being my favorite) for my more open tree stand settings.

Sure deer have been killed without camo, but no one can argue it doesnt HELP. Deer have died by fieldpoints and .22 rifles too, but BHs or a .270 sure do HELP. You can kill a deer on the cell phone, but being quiet helps. Sweat up a storm and kill one, but being more scent free HELPS. I think you get my point by now lol. Camo isnt a neccesity, but it does help.

My biggest buck was taken at 30 yards while decked out in only brown carhartts and a navy blue tobogan...had a orange hat on over that with an orange vest....he didnt care.:D

Just to stir the pot, I think MOBU is the worst camo pattern in existence...We call it Mossy Oak BLACK Out around here...lol[8D]

Deleted User 11-11-2008 09:15 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

racewayking 11-11-2008 09:36 PM

I try to match my camo to the tree I am hunting in. Most stands I'll use Ultimate Camo, the stuff really seems to blend well with Oaks and several other trees. I also have Realtree Hardwoods, Mossy Oak, Advantage Timber and a few other patterns. Today I had a doe downwind and she kept looking up at me, I was wearing Hardwoods and I know I looked out of place but never moved. She walked 60 yards and kept raising her head to check me out. I had a similar thing happed a few times wearing U.C. and the deer looked up once or twice and carried on so I think some patterns will blend in well while others just break up a solid pattern.

As far as scent goes I quit buying Scentlok and wash my clothes after every hunt. I have plenty of camo so showering and watching my scent along with regular laundry is the trick. I'd rather buy two to three jacket and pant sets without scentlok for the price I'd pay for one scentlok suit. I also use Dead Down Wind mouth spray since our breath is usually much worse than our body scent.

IOWAWHITETAILS 11-11-2008 09:47 PM

I where Realtree Ap Hd. I f I bought another camo for later in the season it would be Ultimate camo or Realtree Hardwoods. I usually buy jacket/pants SCENTLOCKED since its only usually abot $30 - $50 more!! jmo

rybohunter 11-12-2008 05:33 AM

To be completely honest I've always liked the old school woodland camo best.

Normally I buy whatever is on sale, but lately I've tried a few different patterens. The MO treestand and predator deception. Most times I have a mix-match top and bottom. Only by random chance, or when its raining will I have matching pieces.

I try to put myself in situations where I don't need to rely on camo to not be seen, but it does help in the confidence dept, if you believe in what you are wearing, should you need it.

Mikey S. 11-12-2008 05:38 AM

Whatever is on sale until the leaves turn and start to drop. When the woods get thin and trees are bare, I get out the Enigma for my rut hunting.

davidmil 11-12-2008 05:49 AM

It really isn't all that critical. There are all sorts of patterns that will cover the bill in just about any situation. Wind direction, Movement and odor are the critical things to be concerned about. The best pure camo is snow camo when there's snow.:D I personnally like the more open patterns. It depends on the vegetation or lack of it that makes my selection for me. I have my favorites for green times and fall leaf time also. I don't use any kind of scent blocker or Scent Lok or any of that so I have a wide variety to pick from. Heck, even WVaCritter shot one dressed all out in BLUE.:D

GregH 11-12-2008 06:00 AM

Jeans, boots and a cut off flannel, guns exposed to all!

NavyDeerHunter 11-12-2008 06:14 AM

I use Enigma and Ultimate Camo. This is my third season in the Enigma and my first season with UC and I think both are great for their application. Earlier in the year I wore UC because its light, quiet and very comfortable and I think the pattern isawesome. This time of yearwith it being colderit's almost all Enigma simply because its easier for me to layer under and I really like the way its designed with all the pockets and adjustments. I don't like the velcro at all, but live with it. Enigma is tough and very, very quiet and I can bust through briars without worry of getting torn up. During the spring turkey season I'll be back in UC.

MJL927 11-12-2008 07:23 AM

Movement (or lack thereof) is paramount to the pattern itself. If you can stay still on the stand, you can probably get away with wearing a Hawaiian shirt and shorts. Having said that, I really like the camo from Predator but I use a lot of Realtree stuff since it is sold everywhere.

HuntingBry 11-12-2008 07:32 AM

I think that regardless of pattern you have to consider your background and the environment around you when choosing your camo for the hunt. If the woods are very green and dense a dark pattern with leaves would be good, but later on when the leaves change yellow and orange that dark camo will make you stand out, soa lighter background pattern would be better, then when the leaves are down a very light pattern with dark lines would be best.

Careful consideration of the environment you are hunting in should dictate what you use, not the name on the label. Also, as others have said camo is only one piece of the puzzle. Stand positioning, wind, and scent control are all factors just as, if not more important than the camo you wear.

NavyDeerHunter 11-12-2008 08:33 AM

Agreed. I'm much more concerned with the functionality of the camo...for my purposes...than I am the pattern.

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

I think that regardless of pattern you have to consider your background and the environment around you when choosing your camo for the hunt. If the woods are very green and dense a dark pattern with leaves would be good, but later on when the leaves change yellow and orange that dark camo will make you stand out, soa lighter background pattern would be better, then when the leaves are down a very light pattern with dark lines would be best.

Careful consideration of the environment you are hunting in should dictate what you use, not the name on the label. Also, as others have said camo is only one piece of the puzzle. Stand positioning, wind, and scent control are all factors just as, if not more important than the camo you wear.

jemrami9 11-12-2008 08:40 AM

Predator Deception or Natural Gear for me seem to be the trick. I practice scent control however. Just dont wanna work in the extra variables of smelling like gasoline or smoke or whatever.....

JoeRE 11-12-2008 08:42 AM

1) No sudden movements.
2) Break up your outline.

Unless you are a glowing albino this will make 99% of deer look right through you. I use camo, but just in the old army BDU pattern and I have bowhunted a couple times in blue jeans and t shirt when it is unbearably hot. This year was the first time in years I was seen by a deer, and its because I was being mr swivelhead. Thankfully, he didnt get out of range fast enough. That being said, I know some camos help more than others with getting away with small movements if you just cannot stop twitching and jerking on stand[8D].

marquismarc 11-12-2008 08:55 PM

I decided to wear blaze orange top to bottom last weekend and sit in a chair next to a tree. I had 3 does walk up within 10 yards of me and did not run off until I moved my head. I was also not wearing any sort of scent elimination products.

my7pointmonster 11-12-2008 09:06 PM

ORIGINAL: GregH

Jeans, boots and a cut off flannel, guns exposed to all!
Have you been visiting my Pennsylvania woods??!?!?!

Ryan.

nissan300ztt 11-15-2008 07:54 PM

Nissan, As far as saying scent control is BS, would you call yourself a serious hunter? More simply, do you read biological research articles and books where studied have been conducted as to the strength of a deer's nose?
The only type of scent control I use is natural fall leaf rubbed on my gear. And yes I do call myself a serious hunter. Have never got a season without getting a buck. Not one season.

MeanV2 11-15-2008 08:21 PM

Where I hunt the lighter, more open camo patterns seem to work best.

Predator, ASAT, Enigma all look to be good choices. I prefer Predator.

The New Mossy Oak TreeStand also looks very good. High quality hunting clothes are the Best investment a serious hunter can make. Comfort is of utmost importance for staying in the woods and staying on stand.

Nothing helps keep you more comfortable than Quality clothes. Keeping dry, warm, and alert is very important and will keep you hunting, instead of walking back to the Truck, cold, wet, and miserable.

Last year I hunted temps from close to 90 degrees down to 15 degrees below zero. I try to be prepared for whatever Mother Nature throws at me.

Dan

SwampCollie 11-15-2008 08:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Texgrebby87

I am using Mossy oak break up right now, but, I am a huge huge fan of USMC digital Woodland camo, The pixilization really break you up on a tree or stalking in alphalpha.

MARPAT

The stuff is amazing. If only they'd make some decent garments in those digital patterns. Its the wave of the future.

I was given a scent lok suit in MOBU. In my opinoin... it is WAY WAY too dark for tree stand hunting. I haven't been winded on stand all season (which is saying something). Not while wearing it anyway. But I've been seen three times.... once even standing stock still. Turkeys pick me out clean... facemask and all.

SwampCollie 11-15-2008 09:02 PM

ORIGINAL: nissan300ztt

The only type of scent control I use is natural fall leaf rubbed on my gear. And yes I do call myself a serious hunter. Have never got a season without getting a buck. Not one season.

That means absolutely zero in my opinion.

Scent control is important... whether you think it is or not. It it was not.. why would you bother with the leaves?

Do you pay any attention to wind direction at all? Or do you break wind before shooting a buck 20 steps downwing of you?