HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Lets have a nice camo discussion! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/273072-lets-have-nice-camo-discussion.html)

wahoohunter 11-11-2008 07:44 PM

RE: Lets have a nice camo discussion!

MOTS pictured here. IMO the best on the market for tree stand hunting right now.

Nissan, As far as saying scent control is BS, would you call yourself a serious hunter? More simply, do you read biological research articles and books where studied have been conducted as to the strength of a deer's nose?

wis_rifle_hunter 11-11-2008 07:55 PM

realtree apg and realtree apHD

TEmbry 11-11-2008 07:59 PM

I have settled with UC and Predator. UC for bigger trees and turkey hunting, predator (fall grey being my favorite) for my more open tree stand settings.

Sure deer have been killed without camo, but no one can argue it doesnt HELP. Deer have died by fieldpoints and .22 rifles too, but BHs or a .270 sure do HELP. You can kill a deer on the cell phone, but being quiet helps. Sweat up a storm and kill one, but being more scent free HELPS. I think you get my point by now lol. Camo isnt a neccesity, but it does help.

My biggest buck was taken at 30 yards while decked out in only brown carhartts and a navy blue tobogan...had a orange hat on over that with an orange vest....he didnt care.:D

Just to stir the pot, I think MOBU is the worst camo pattern in existence...We call it Mossy Oak BLACK Out around here...lol[8D]

Deleted User 11-11-2008 09:15 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

racewayking 11-11-2008 09:36 PM

I try to match my camo to the tree I am hunting in. Most stands I'll use Ultimate Camo, the stuff really seems to blend well with Oaks and several other trees. I also have Realtree Hardwoods, Mossy Oak, Advantage Timber and a few other patterns. Today I had a doe downwind and she kept looking up at me, I was wearing Hardwoods and I know I looked out of place but never moved. She walked 60 yards and kept raising her head to check me out. I had a similar thing happed a few times wearing U.C. and the deer looked up once or twice and carried on so I think some patterns will blend in well while others just break up a solid pattern.

As far as scent goes I quit buying Scentlok and wash my clothes after every hunt. I have plenty of camo so showering and watching my scent along with regular laundry is the trick. I'd rather buy two to three jacket and pant sets without scentlok for the price I'd pay for one scentlok suit. I also use Dead Down Wind mouth spray since our breath is usually much worse than our body scent.

IOWAWHITETAILS 11-11-2008 09:47 PM

I where Realtree Ap Hd. I f I bought another camo for later in the season it would be Ultimate camo or Realtree Hardwoods. I usually buy jacket/pants SCENTLOCKED since its only usually abot $30 - $50 more!! jmo

rybohunter 11-12-2008 05:33 AM

To be completely honest I've always liked the old school woodland camo best.

Normally I buy whatever is on sale, but lately I've tried a few different patterens. The MO treestand and predator deception. Most times I have a mix-match top and bottom. Only by random chance, or when its raining will I have matching pieces.

I try to put myself in situations where I don't need to rely on camo to not be seen, but it does help in the confidence dept, if you believe in what you are wearing, should you need it.

Mikey S. 11-12-2008 05:38 AM

Whatever is on sale until the leaves turn and start to drop. When the woods get thin and trees are bare, I get out the Enigma for my rut hunting.

davidmil 11-12-2008 05:49 AM

It really isn't all that critical. There are all sorts of patterns that will cover the bill in just about any situation. Wind direction, Movement and odor are the critical things to be concerned about. The best pure camo is snow camo when there's snow.:D I personnally like the more open patterns. It depends on the vegetation or lack of it that makes my selection for me. I have my favorites for green times and fall leaf time also. I don't use any kind of scent blocker or Scent Lok or any of that so I have a wide variety to pick from. Heck, even WVaCritter shot one dressed all out in BLUE.:D

GregH 11-12-2008 06:00 AM

Jeans, boots and a cut off flannel, guns exposed to all!