Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer looking up? >

Deer looking up?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer looking up?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:39 PM

Default RE: Deer looking up?

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

ORIGINAL: XzyluM

If lions, monkeys, elephants, etc can be trained to learn things, so can deer.
Ya, train a house cat to speek or setand call me.
Teaching a house cat to sit has already been done.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

If lions, monkeys, elephants, etc can be trained to learn things, so can deer.
Ya, train a house cat to speek or setand call me.
Teaching a house cat to sit has already been done.
Thats right,I would bow to the that traineer to, they are a god.

But a deer that bust 6-8 hunters a year (that# isvery, very high) and 99% of the time, what they seen did not present any danger, chase or noise, has learnt to look up?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Site Buck Guru

Tha dear lernt I was in a tre so now they lok up wen they komm bye. They are berry, berry smert.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

I am sure they learn to look up. While in maryland last month I had a old doe come in with her fawns. She cought a nose full of me in the tree. She covered the ground first, lookin for anything out of the norm, then looked up in the trees and panned for me. She never seen me, but she was definatly lookin in the trees. No doubt about it......
Old 11-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did you and the old man have any luck?? You were gone long enough!![8D]
Old 11-13-2008, 07:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I watched another doe last night for a long time. She looked up and saw a leaf moving and about jumped out of her skin. What made her "look up"? I'm guessing she caught movement. I was 10 yds away, though....and she didn't look up to try to find me.

If a deer can catch a leaf shake and get spooked....ya think she can see you twist your gloved fingers?

This conversation reminds me of most hunters' recollections of a hit they just put on a deer. Most will tell you the hit was better than it actually is (when the recovery is made). So we are COMPLETELY motionles and they "look up"? COMPLETELY scent free....and they "look up"? NO WAY they caught your scent or movement?

Just a difference of opinion(s), guys. I'm still not buying it.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

it all depends on the deer....

I have a few properties where i have bowhunted for years and the deer definantley look up!! They also come in looking in areas where they may have busted you before. The problem is that the county is bowhunting only and the deer are extremely used to people due to how urbanized it is. i think there smarter then the average deer. there really good at patterning people and they understand them better then say the deer on my dads farm, in some cases there harder to hunt because they do look up and they dont follow normal patterns. there is a guy that hunted next to me in a ladder stand and I would watch the deer come in and look at his stand for minutes on end before entering the area. They knew what the consequences were. If they catch movement they look up, and I had a buck come in and catch my outline in a tree the other night, he decided to turn and go back where he came from, he wasnt really spooked but he didnt like what he saw when he looked up. I have seen it over and over again, now on my dads farm the only time ive seen them look up is if you move to fast.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt a hard pressured spot, and my first time in there I was set up in a man made ground blind. Three doe came in, the lead doe had a white spot on the side of her neck. They walked into my setup area and imediately noticed something wasn't right. They didn't run or go on alert, but hung around to verify what they saw. After about 5 minutes the left the area in a walk but a little alert. That next weekend and for two years after that, when that same doe would come into that area, that was the first place she would look. I took up a tree stand that over looks the area so I can see the action. As far as looking up, I can't say, but as far as learning, I believe they do.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

Happened to me yesterday. A doe caught my scent on the ground and looked up in the tree where I was at. I didn't move but she knew something was up and the wind wasn't in her favor. She then proceeded to smell all the weeds, such as queen anne's lace that is a tall weed that might have brushed up against me. She then went and smelled the barb wire fence I crossed to get my scent. She continually looked up in that tree and stomped her foot a few times. I know the difference from when they are scent checking and scanning the trees. She never located me but she was definitely looking. She was with two other does and her button buck that she hadn't booted yet. Full rut definitely hasn't started here in Northern Missouri.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Typical Buck

I haven't read all of the replies, but I have to disagree with you. In some parts of SC the gun season comes in Aug. 15th and lasts until Jan. 1st. Thats five months that our deer are shot at with rifles, ran with dogs, and only God knows what else.After about two months our deer become so skiddi****s not even funny. I rarely see a deer thatacts "normal" and doesn't come through the woods walking with their heads up. I've had flocks of 20-30 turkeys walk right under me and not notice me, but only a few minutes later have deer walk under me and look right up at me. For any of you that has never witnessed a truly pressured deer I invite you to come hunt with me in SC and test what kind of a hunter you are esp. what kind of bow hunter you are.

I have killed two smaller bucks this year with my bow that I wouldn't have even took aim on with my rifle (when I used to use it). ANY deer here with a bow is a true accomplishment.

Quick Reply: Deer looking up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.