Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The 2008 Rut That Wasn't? >

The 2008 Rut That Wasn't?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The 2008 Rut That Wasn't?

Old 11-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The 2008 Rut That Wasn't?

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

I have to see if I can find the article in D&DH but they were talking a REAL late rut this year. If I remember right it was like late Nov., I could be wrong but this moon is the rutting moon and the deer "come in" like 2 weeks or more after this moon. I'll see if I can Google it later and see.

Just watched the D&DH show for the 2008 Rut on Sunday, for the North (above the 35th?) it's supposed to kick in on Monday the 17th.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

in my part of the state, the bucks are cruising and chasing pretty hard. have seen mostly young bucks doing the chasing but have seen/heard some bruisers are on their feet. just this morning on way back to town saw a big 9 pointer out with a doe running her into the middle of a 100 acre corn field. you haveto hunt no matter the drought in activity......ITS NOVEMBER....it is happening.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

I know what you mean, i havent seen crap for sign, its terrible, i sure hope we dont miss it, im in centre county... and its not looking good. so far..

Old 11-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

The best way to describe this morning and the last two weeks (generally speaking)in the woods were almost like being in a large theater with a huge stage. I'm the only person in the audiencewaiting for the show to begin, but it never does! There are no performers taking the stage. I'm wondering what's going on here?I get up and leave.
With the obscene number of hours I've put in on stand, you would think I'd at least be seeing something. I have yet to even see a buck chasing a doe, not once! Un friggen real!! I hate to sound like a broken record, but I seriously can not understand what's going on here in my area. The idea of the rut going on at night can only answer away some of this situation. There should be a least SOME daytime rutting activity. Temps are down, wind is down, and out of theright direction. Perfect conditions for hunting, you would think! I actually came out of the woodsat 10:30AM this morning out of discust.[&o]
I'm getting into the woods VERY quietly, and sitting for an hour waiting for daylight to arrive, and I'm not even hearing anything moving/running around in the dark.Any ideas on thisMOST UNUSUALsituation?
As Wallhangr said a few posts above me, the rut should kick in at the end of this week and next about the 35 degree latitude line. The rutting moon has not occurred yet and will occur Thursday night for these areas. That being said, this years rut can be expected to be more concise and more frantic than in years past. Be patient and persistent but remember, its a marathon not a sprint and the starting gun has not yet been fired! Past years (especially last year) has given people the impression that the rut should have already kicked in and should be in full effect, however, this is just not the case for this particular year.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

I have to see if I can find the article in D&DH but they were talking a REAL late rut this year. If I remember right it was like late Nov., I could be wrong but this moon is the rutting moon and the deer "come in" like 2 weeks or more after this moon. I'll see if I can Google it later and see.
Actually they should come in to estrous 2-4 days after the second full moon after the fall equinox. That would be the full moon coming up this Thursday. Saturday thru Monday should be peak actually breeding days for the northern hemisphere. While some actual breeding has taken place with the older does that tend to come in early,most places in the north are still in the chase phase as most does aren't quite there yet.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

ORIGINAL: early in

The best way to describe this morning and the last two weeks (generally speaking)in the woods were almost like being in a large theater with a huge stage. I'm the only person in the audiencewaiting for the show to begin, but it never does! There are no performers taking the stage. I'm wondering what's going on here?I get up and leave.
With the obscene number of hours I've put in on stand, you would think I'd at least be seeing something. I have yet to even see a buck chasing a doe, not once! Un friggen real!! I hate to sound like a broken record, but I seriously can not understand what's going on here in my area. The idea of the rut going on at night can only answer away some of this situation. There should be a least SOME daytime rutting activity. Temps are down, wind is down, and out of theright direction. Perfect conditions for hunting, you would think! I actually came out of the woodsat 10:30AM this morning out of discust.[&o]
I'm getting into the woods VERY quietly, and sitting for an hour waiting for daylight to arrive, and I'm not even hearing anything moving/running around in the dark.Any ideas on thisMOST UNUSUALsituation?
As Wallhangr said a few posts above me, the rut should kick in at the end of this week and next about the 35 degree latitude line. The rutting moon has not occurred yet and will occur Thursday night for these areas. That being said, this years rut can be expected to be more concise and more frantic than in years past. Be patient and persistent but remember, its a marathon not a sprint and the starting gun has not yet been fired! Past years (especially last year) has given people the impression that the rut should have already kicked in and should be in full effect, however, this is just not the case for this particular year.
Very well put.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

According to Charlie Alsheimer, when the rutting moonoccurs during the first 8 days of November therut's intensity is actually greater than when itoccurs in the laterpart ofNovember. That would explain the lack of pre-rut activity this season thatsome have noted compared to last year.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I think it's because the chase hasn't started yet.The bucks are just now breaking up from the bachelor groups and trolling around to see what's up. All the scrapes are worked every day which won't happen once the chase begins. Patience Grasshopper.... Patience. We saw several bucks last week and weekend in Ohio just wandering. We finally saw one nice 10 pointer following a doe on Friday at high noon in an open cut corn field. She'd walk he'd follow. She'd stop and he'd stop a good 5-10 yards behind her. He never made an attempt to get closer. She'd start walking and he'd follow. We watched them and made a video for a good 10 minutes. Get ready around the end of the week for something to start happening.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

That's precisely where the rutting moon theory loses some of its edge. Whereas you haven't even seen chasing yet, the bucks here in Iowa have been on their feet and chasing does hard core for the last 5 or 6 days.Both locationsare in the same rutting moon phase, but the action is vastly different. I spotted a huge buck 10 yards from the road on the way from work yesterday and turned around and pulled up right next to him. He didn't move. There's only one time of the year a 150 class buck stands his ground to a human in a truck. I gave him a mouth grunt knowing his doe must be close by. Sure enough upon grunting she stood up from the road ditch she was hiding in not five feet from my door. She looked at him, then slowly trotted off while he follwed in behind. That's nothing other than full rut behavior.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

I havent seen crap at all. it seems like the deer just plane left.

Quick Reply: The 2008 Rut That Wasn't?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.