Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The 2008 Rut That Wasn't? >

The 2008 Rut That Wasn't?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The 2008 Rut That Wasn't?

Old 11-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default The 2008 Rut That Wasn't?

The best way to describe this morning and the last two weeks (generally speaking)in the woods were almost like being in a large theater with a huge stage. I'm the only person in the audiencewaiting for the show to begin, but it never does! There are no performers taking the stage. I'm wondering what's going on here?I get up and leave.
With the obscene number of hours I've put in on stand, you would think I'd at least be seeing something. I have yet to even see a buck chasing a doe, not once! Un friggen real!! I hate to sound like a broken record, but I seriously can not understand what's going on here in my area. The idea of the rut going on at night can only answer away some of this situation. There should be a least SOME daytime rutting activity. Temps are down, wind is down, and out of theright direction. Perfect conditions for hunting, you would think! I actually came out of the woodsat 10:30AM this morning out of discust.[&o]
I'm getting into the woods VERY quietly, and sitting for an hour waiting for daylight to arrive, and I'm not even hearing anything moving/running around in the dark.Any ideas on thisMOST UNUSUALsituation?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The 2008 Rut That Wasn't?

When you find the answer send it my way please!!!!!!!![:@]
Old 11-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

dont feel bad your not alone.. its almost the same way here in maryland... i had 2 different bucks TOGETHER the smoring feedin together walkin together.. scent glands still white... my grandfather had 2 different bucks together yesterday.... not understandin
Old 11-11-2008, 11:09 AM

Im in the same boat. For the past two week I have hunted hard to no avail. This morning driving home from hunting, I spotted a real nice buck and a smaller one harassing a doe. One of the other guys I hunt with said that he had a buddy text him saying there were 7 bucks chasing does all around this morning. I think its beginning to start here in ohio.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

Hey, I shot my 10 pt in Pa saturday morning, and he was following a 3 point around.......if you get what I'm saying

According to I've read on rut predictions, next week is supposed to be the best week. Stay patient and focused, get on a good travel area or funnel and hang on.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:15 AM

Same story here in IN for me. But it may have more to do with the lazy farmer than the rut...... still a full 88 acres of corn standing. Nothing moving outside that corn.

bt
Old 11-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm talking about not even seeing a deer coming out to do a little feeding in the evening. I have a decent view of roughly 4 -5 acres of woods and lots of thicket that I should at least be hearing some activity in. In all of my experiences bowhunting, I've never not seen at least some rutting activity. I have 9 all day sits in since Oct 16th up until today. Not one single buck chasing after a doe![&o]
All I have to say is, tomorrow is that "majical" rutting (full) moon that a lot of guys are saying is going to save the rutfor us. Anybody else buy into this concept? At this point, I'll believe anything that will get me back in the woods in the morning. I'll be there regardless, I needed a break.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mikey S.

According to I've read on rut predictions, next week is supposed to be the best week.
That's wonderful, but our earlyseason ends on Saturday.[:@]
Old 11-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

All I have to say is, tomorrow is that "majical" rutting (full) moon that a lot of guys are saying is going to save the rutfor us. Anybody else buy into this concept? At this point, I'll believe anything that will get me back in the woods in the morning. I'll be there regardless, I needed a break.

To be honest I have never really bought into it much before but now am thinking it has to happen with the moon, if not we are in trouble!! The experts I believe say that Friday is "the day"....so we will see then!?!?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

As has been pointed out herea fewtimes recently, the moon phase calender has the full moon this Thursday with the does going into estrous 2-3 days after that. While some areas have already seen full-blown chasing and mounting, your area could be following closer to the the moon theory. Let us know how this weekend goes out east.

Quick Reply: The 2008 Rut That Wasn't?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.