Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 smoking on stand???????? >

smoking on stand????????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

smoking on stand????????

Old 11-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default smoking on stand????????

who smokes well hunting do you do it during gun or bow or both
Old 11-10-2008, 07:07 PM

Default RE: smoking on stand????????

I do. I was halfway through one tonight when i looked right and saw three standing there feeding. Wind was in myfavor though. They smell it, and dont like it. But, i guess thats justanother downfall of smoking.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

I don't smoke but if I did, I wouldn't while hunting. Even if the wind was in my favor. Just think that the deer would smell that coming from the downwind side. Esp. a big buck.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:00 PM

i smoke but not in the stand.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

I don't smoke, but my father did. One time in shot gun season he got to the top of the "mountain" we hunt on and he took a ciggarette break. Not even a minute into it a 8 pointer walked no further than 10 yards away from him and to the day thats one of his biggest bucks he's ever shotten.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Spike

I know a guy who honestly chain smokes cigarettes, one after another. He has more 130-165 inch deer mounted that he has killed than anyone I have seen in my life. I about crapped my pants after seeing his trophy room and then again after finding out he will smoke a pack everytime he hunts. This is also in PA where deer of this caliber are true trophy's. I smoke but very rarely in the stand. If the wind is right I will on occasion. The last three times I have been smoking in the stand, I had a buck come within 15 yrds dead down wind and not scent me. It really is a wonder in my hunting ways.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm guilty of It here and there.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Fork Horn

mayb they dont associate the smell of cigrtte smoke to danger???
Old 11-11-2008, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do to. I don't think its ever stopped me from getting a deer. I get one every year. I even shot one a few years ago with one hanging in my mouth. I'm sure the wind plays a big role but not sure. I think deer are not sure what it is and will come to find out, maybe not always but that just my opinion.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:17 PM

Guilty ... . Years ago i used to just do it on my way and leaving the hunting area but now I do it in the stand, but I do my best to be as careful as possible. I still am very stringent on being scent free. I know it sounds all wrong to non-smokers, but I like to enjoy myself out there and NOT smoking can make me figuty and anxious to head to the truck. When I start getting cold ... I take a small candy bar, a drink and a smoke to calm me down, warm me up and give me more time up in the Tree. If I didnt I would make excuses to get down and would spend less time outdoors. This is my smoking in the stand ritual ... I take off my gloves, hat and facemask to try and minimize smoke from comtaminating them. I try to leave the cig close to my face to try and minimize movement and when i am done I spray Autumn formula (dirt smell) scent killer about and on the cig itself. Play the wind ... is a MUST when smoking! All in all I may smoke 3-4 cigs in 6 hours in the Tree.

2004 is when i got my biggest buck a 8 point 140 class, about 15 mintues before I shot him I missed a 120 class, right over his back at 10 yards ... smoked a cig, calmed down and thought "maybe that was a good thing because maybe the BOSS will give me a shot" ... 15 min later he came and never smelled me, but he was at 30 yards. My buddy has a 160 class 10 point on the wall shot with Bow, on the ground and smoked during that hunt. During Shotgun season, on the ground, I smoke a little more because my gun and gloves reek of gun oil and have had deer all around me almost all the time. I did read that the more deer have been around humans/public land the less it may bother them, where the less deer are subject to it the more they might avoid it, dont know if there is any truth but all my hunting is done on public land.

Have huge bucks avoided me because I do...most likely, have I been busted because of it ... yes, has it cost me a deer or two ...i am sure it has. I enjoy smoking and enjoy the outdoors and until i quit smoking something has to be comprised and I choose to stay out longer, smoke and possibly see less/big deer. But I have a good time doing it!

Quick Reply: smoking on stand????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.