Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 FYI..Practice at very short distances >

FYI..Practice at very short distances

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

FYI..Practice at very short distances

Old 11-10-2008, 01:33 PM

Default RE: FYI..Practice at very short distances

My 20 yard pin dead on at 3 yrds would have blasted him. The arrow really doesn't have time to rise on its arch before it gets 9 ft away. If anything it would be a minimal rise.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I don't thinkanyone wouldneed a sight at 3 yards.

No. It is however an weird feeling being that close at eye level and then having doubts about where you should aim.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: DannyD
No. It is however an weird feeling being that close at eye level and then having doubts about where you should aim.
Try putting your sights on a rutting bull moose at 10 yards and then realizing that every one of your pins is in the kill zone! (Shot that one high... but he's still hanging on my wall.)
Old 11-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Try putting your sights on a rutting bull moose at 10 yards and then realizing that every one of your pins is in the kill zone! (Shot that one high... but he's still hanging on my wall.)

All my pins would be in and out of the kill zone from shaking so much
Old 11-10-2008, 02:19 PM

Center mass is probably what i should have done. You are right. I just wonder what the actual correction is
Think about it for a second mate, an arrow doesnt fly strait. It has an arch to it you dont see unless it is out past 10 yards or more.

Now for 3 yards on a 20 yard pin if you shoot center mass the arrow will hit high, if iyour release and form is dead on.

Take and test this on your bow target, stand or sit 3 yards and aim center with your 20 yard pin.
You will hit high.
Now go 10 yards and shoot center with your 20 yard pin. It will be closer to dead on.
Now go 20 yards and do the same, you will hit center.

Keep in mind the bows arrow is aimed slightly up to get center target at further yardage.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

at 3 yards, you do not need to look through your sights. just look down you arrow.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tomkat,
The only way to know is if i try it. And i will. But... Think of it this way

Put a papertarget 6 inches past your bow. Since the arrow comes out so much lower than your sight, will it not hit below your sight level? If you have ever shot from a ground blind you would know that you have to be careful because even though you can see your target in your sightthrough the window, the arrow is well below the sight You run the risk of actually shooting through the blind below the window if you have not made certain it is high enough.

As Kodiak Archer said, VERY early on in flight the arrow is still coming up from that low position to meet your sight plane. It eventually meets that plane, surpasses it, then begins to drop.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

heck, just grab him by the neck!
Old 11-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KCMO Cityboy

heck, just grab him by the neck!
hahaha. Yeah. It may have actually been shorter. The tree is 3 yards and he passed on this side of it. I should have just stabbed it
Old 11-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Right or wrong, this was my thought process. The arrow on it's rest sits well below my sight. So, if say i was going to shoot at something say 1 foot away from me my arrow would impact well belowmy sight. At three yards i figured my arrow would still be "climbing" up to my sight level.
That's correct. I hit about 3" low at 2yds. I'll try to drum up the pic where I did this for some HNI people who were questioning it.

Think about it for a second mate, an arrow doesnt fly strait. It has an arch to it you dont see unless it is out past 10 yards or more.

Now for 3 yards on a 20 yard pin if you shoot center mass the arrow will hit high, if iyour release and form is dead on.

Take and test this on your bow target, stand or sit 3 yards and aim center with your 20 yard pin.
You will hit high.
No you won't.

OK..I found it. Here's 4 shots taken at 2 yds.....level ground.

Quick Reply: FYI..Practice at very short distances

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.