Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need help ASAP

Old 11-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Bartender

Default RE: need help ASAP

Good luck Pal sure hope you get him.

T
Old 11-10-2008, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man I wish I could help or offer anything useful. Good luck.
Maybe he doubled back? Maybe just before dying he went on a death run with little to no blood? I'm sure you will put in the effort. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

This guy was an old mature bruiser. He only had 6 points, but I would guess his spread at 19" inside and his tines were LONG. Biggest 6-point I have ever seen. Today will be spent busting my way through every thicket within a 1/2 mile of the last drop of blood. I am sure I will end up shredded by thorns, but if I find him it will be more than worth it.

I'm still just trying to figure out how this is even possible. Although, the buck I shot last year was a double lung as well (old broadhead) and he lived over a minute and left virtually no blood. He was just kind enough to walk instead of run. If this guy went all out for a minute or more who knows how far he could have gone?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jim I posted about a story in Bowhunter magazine on how a guy found his deer with the aid of the tracking mode on his GPS. After searching all day he noticed an area he had not searched on screen. It might help.

Good Luck
Old 11-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Jim:

When the tracking handler was here....he asked me how old the buck I'd shot was.

Maybe he doubled back?
This is why. He said in his years of experience....an older buck will double back .....or back-track, sometimes. There may be a trail off to one side of the one you were on. ONLY thing I'd know to look for was which way the blood was splattering as he was traveling (you know what I mean).

Good luck to you....and I wish I was nearer.....I'd be there in a second.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Rybo is right. Sometimes right before they die, they'll stop, and try to get their bearings, then all hel will break lose and they'll make a mad, last adrenalized dash, oftentimes 90 degrees from the direction they were originally heading. I even had one make 2 90 degree bends, one for 30 yards, then another for 50 yards up a creek bank before he died. Left no trace of blood on those 2 turns. Have to account for everything with an old buck. Leave no brush pile or log uninspected.

With what you're saying about the amount of blood on the arrow, I'm guessing liver shot, maybe one lung also. Or, you hit lower than what you think and went under everything.

Maybe I missed it........but how far did you track him before you lost blood ?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

Is there anyway someone else came across your deer and may have taken it? I hope this isn't the case but the possibility might exist. Good luck finding him.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:41 AM

That is what I was thinking, jcpopejr.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Well, I honestly don't think anyone will believe it because I can hardly believe what happened. 15 yard broadside shot. Arrow hit exactly where I was aiming, which admittedly may have been a little low for the shot angle. However, the entrance hole was 4" or so above the sternum and probably 2-3" back off of the crease of the shoulder. Hit him with a Rage 2-blade, which when I recovered the arrow was open. The arrow was completely soaked with blood, zero fat on it. The blood trail was solid to the point that I could follow it at a walk and I am colorblind. We followed it out of the area, across the beaan field, and at the far side of the small strip on the other side of the bean field he simply quit bleeding. This was 15 feet from a puddle of blood that would make you sick if you were sqeamish! I am telling you he absolutely has to be dead and there is just nothing to go on. I walked the entire field that he virtually had to go into and there is nothing. I don't know what else to do but try a dog at this point.
Jim,
If it makes you feel any better I believe you!!! Now the bad, I believe if he made it further than 400yds, you'll likely not find him, and the wound is more superficial than you may think. I've been in the same situation, with a GREAT 150 class buck, and I tracked and tracked and tracked, and then nothing, I grid searched everywhere he could have possible been, maybe 80-100 acre stand of woods then ALL FIELDS for probably a mile, and NO DEER. Especially on the LOW hits, the blood looks great, but is very misleading unfortunately. I hope you find him, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet the next time you see him, he'll still be alive. GOOD LUCK, and I HOPE I'm WRONG.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

beleive it or not, see if anyone you knows has an old rat terrior. they seem to be able to find anything. trained or not

Quick Reply: need help ASAP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.