HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Staying warm on stand? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/272708-staying-warm-stand.html)

MOmightymite 11-09-2008 06:35 PM

Staying warm on stand?

I went out Saturday morning and after having highs close to 80 all week we had a huge cold front come through and dipped into the 30s. The change of weather was a slap in the face because i was not ready for such a drastic change. Anyway i froze my butt off even with hand warmers. What are the best ways to stay warm on stand? I'm thinking about getting a wool sweater with windstopper in it. Anyone have any experience with this?

This is what i wore:

scent lok base layers
expedition fleece long underwear
hooded sweatshirt(camo)
my mossy oak fleece
and as an outer layer browning hells canyon

and i still froze...An no i didnt wear all of that while i walked in.

solocamcan 11-09-2008 06:49 PM

RE: Staying warm on stand?

Arctic Shield Bibs and jacket.;)And some good 800g. or more thinsulate boots.

hillbilly archer 11-09-2008 07:04 PM

We experienced the same thing here, I wore my baselayers, a layer of fleece baselayers over that, and then my fleece jacket and pants with windblocker and I stayed very warm. I wore my sock liners with a thin pair of smart wool liners on top of them in mucks woody max boots. Never got cold feet either. I have a rivers west jacket and pants for when it gets wet and colder, If I wear all this and then my rivers west, I am good to around 10-15 degrees or so.

I have been looking into getting a medium weight wool shirt/pants. I'm thinking when it gets colder maybe it will be warm enough I can just wear baselayers, wool, then the rivers west jacket and pants.

Mottz 11-09-2008 07:37 PM

I wear about 5 layers or so, but before I put any clothes on I use some heat wraps. They are from Therma Care, but I think icy hot makes them also. They stick to your skin (neck, back, legs) and it says to leave them on for 8 hours for maximum relief. So they stay warm for a good amount of time.

dstubb 11-09-2008 07:55 PM

At least three layers and a ton of warmers. I personally couldn't live without my hand muff, i fill it with 4 hand warmers and i don't even need gloves. I also recommend the full size foot warmers placed on the bottom of your foot with the toe warmers on top of your toes. Most heat escapes from your extremities so be sure to keep your feet hands and heat nice and warm.

TEmbry 11-09-2008 08:06 PM

UA heat gear, for comfort
UA cold gear
Gander MTN base layer polar weight fleece pullover
button up cotton camp shirt

and im fine in 30 degree temps

looking to add a fleece vest to up the core heat without arm bulkiness

WesternMdHardwoods 11-09-2008 08:08 PM

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

Arctic Shield Bibs and jacket.;)And some good 800g. or more thinsulate boots.

I personally dont own any Arctic Shield as I do not get too entirely cold on stand for some reason... but some buddies of mine swear by this stuff!!! They dont wear it walking in because they would sweat to death they say!! The last I checked the price is not too bad either???

I generally wear
UA Long Sleeve Turtleneck
Thin Long Sleeve Tee
Thin Fleece Long Sleeve
Hooded Cotton Camo Shirt
NECK GAITER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<-----I think this really helps!!!!
Layers, Layers, Layers!!!

~~ I dont like being all bunched up so I cant stand to wear heavy/bulky stuff!!

I also read somewhere on here a good tip(if you could get away with the movement), instead of buying one of those heat blankets the guy bought a kids camo sleeping bag and bundles up with this up to his neck and slips out when deer some in!!! If I ever run into a deal on a kids sleeping bag, I will own one because I would rather do this then wear heavy clothing!!!

muzzyman88 11-09-2008 08:32 PM

In PA, we'll see some temps in the 20's by the end of archery season. For that kind of cold here is what I wear.

UA cold gear base layers.
Polartec Classic fleece for a second layer.
Cabelas Wool fatique sweater. (I bought it with the Windshear lining, found it too noisy and cut it out with a pair of scissors):D
Rocky heavy weight fleece vest.
Grey Wolf Woolens wolfskin jacket and pants with Comformax windproof lining.
2 pair of woolrich wool socks
UA Cold Gear balaclava

A WARM HAT - I don't care what you do, if your head isn't warm, you're going to be cold. Most heat escapes from your noggin.

Chemical Handwarmers. One under the hat, two in my handwarmer pocket. I just used two in a thermacare wrap type thing on my kidneys the other day and it really worked great.

Hoytail Hunter 11-09-2008 08:36 PM

I was out today on an all day sit. Morning was in the high 20's and the daytime high was about mid 30's. I had 5 layers on (2 were fleece) plus a winter hat and still shivered most of the day. The problem was the steady 15-20mph winds. The problem is always the wind I think. It's the wind that penetrates through no matter how many layers you got on and kicks your behind. I believe a wind breaker of some sort right inside the outer most layer will have day and night affects.

scooterdo75 11-09-2008 08:36 PM

Since it has gotten cold, I have been wearing my Arctic sheild bibs, but my lighter weight River West Pullover jacket (windproof), 800gram Danner boots, fleece dickie for my neck, and my hand muff. The Arctic Sheild bibs are deffinately warm. During rifle season if Im in a ground blind, I usually end up taking off my jacket because the bibs hold so much body heat in they keep me warm right up to my neck.