Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who makes a good, heavy (10gpi+) hunting arrow? >

Who makes a good, heavy (10gpi+) hunting arrow?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who makes a good, heavy (10gpi+) hunting arrow?

Old 11-09-2008, 05:23 PM

Default RE: Who makes a good, heavy (10gpi+) hunting arrow?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

FMJs work fine, id go with atleast .340 for your expected heavy BH though.
Trev...

I was gonna ask if the 340 was the heavier spined version (over the 400 or the 500). Thanks.

I will call Dave if I go this route.

but since you said something about the weight tubes.....do they even make one for the a/c/c's? I admit to not knowing much about them.
Yea, they even offer a .300 which may be best for that heavy a BH setup, not 100% though...Ill try and run the numbers for your bow and see which one goes best.

Not sure on weight tubes, they offer different diameters and different GPI tubes, not sure if they make one small enough for ACC though.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=58&s=187&p=0&i=6731%2D2X

They make a 1/4" version for axis type arrows which are small...quick measurement would tell you if they would fit your ACCs.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Will (iamyourhuck) told me to try the PSE Black Mamba's. I'm OK with Carbon Force arrows.....as I used them my first season (x-weaves).

10.5gpi....and the only thing I need to know is if they'll accept the inserts I wanna use (the muzzy 100gr).I think they should have enough spine.

Reasonable price.....good product....and my local shop carries their products.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

FMJs are a solid way to go Jeff.

Don't order anything through Cabela's... not that there is anything wrong with them, but between Dave, Dan, bigbulls and myself (just that I know of) all owning or working in the archery industry we can get you the same stuff... faster... and if not cheaper than at the very least for the same price. Personally I know I can beat Cabela's on most stuff most of the time... for another HNI member, all the time.

FMJs are carbon cored, aluminum jacketed arrows. Hence the catchy name. They are about as tough an arrow so far as front end impact is concerned that you are likely to find. They definately are not aluminums, though you can still tear them up. I shot them all last season, and my girlfriend shoots the 500s off her Hoyt at 38#s and they fly very nicely. If you want an all carbon arrow... the standard Axis NANO 340s are right heavy as well... almost 9.4 or 9.5 if I recall. I shoot those myself and my finished arrow weight is 475gr with all the bells and whistles.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any technically specific questions. I'd be glad to answer any curious questions you might have about it.... after all I do it for a living.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I think I'm gonna go the PSE Black Mamba route (with thanks to all who've made suggestions) for the reasons I listed. I need to know (PSE's site doesn't say) if the shafts will accept the 5/16's inserts....and I need to know if the spine is enough to handle the 200gr. tip.

Once I get the affirmative on those....I've got a good line on them.

I ordered from Dave at DLA just this past week. I wouldn't order anything from Cabela's I could get from guys here.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:36 PM

Sounds good, if I was shooting as many animals as you per year, id rethink the cost on arrows too. LOL Buying locally and having replacements close by is always a plus as well.

if you do decide to go Easton arrows, a .340 spine with a 100 grn insert and normal 100 grn BH spinesnear perfectionon OT2 for your setup. near 17% FOC, almost 79 ft/lbs, and 253-254 on speed range....plus, 100 grn BHs are unlimited as far as choices go....your finished arrow is tenths of a grain away from 550 as well.

Im sure the right spined arrow for any brand will work...OT2 doesnt list the Black Mambas[&:], but PSE arrows come in 100, 200, 300 spine...none of those show to be stout enough in the other radial x weave arrows for 200 grns of bh/insert. Not sure if Black Mambas are stouter though.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Jeff I'm shooting the Black Mamba's and they are super tough. The Deer I shot this year fell on the arrow and it didn't break. I hit the off side shoulder square on the bone, it sounded like I hit a 2x4. The Arrow never fell out, and when I flipped the buck over he had fell square over on the arrow. I pulled it out wiped it off and it's as good as new.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:42 PM

how about the easton axis nano fused 340's real tree camo like 11 gpi!
Old 11-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Dominant Buck

I appreciate the lesson(s) guys. Much appreciated.

I'll call LAS or PSE tomorrow and see what they say about the inserts. If not.....I'll look at the FMJ's.

Thanks, again....all
Old 11-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Whats wrong with the A/C/Cs?
Old 11-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Dominant Buck

a/c/c's are great. If I could add the weight to the tip of them (if a weighted insert would fit them).....or....I could add a weight tube....I might still use them. I've loved shooting them the last two years.

Quick Reply: Who makes a good, heavy (10gpi+) hunting arrow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.