Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bucks are on the move... pics >

Bucks are on the move... pics

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bucks are on the move... pics

Old 11-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Bucks are on the move... pics

Well, I made it back safe from Ohio. The bucks are definitely on the prowl looking for ladies. I shot this guy the first morning and sort of bagged any heavy hunting after that, played some golf, doe hunted one AM and that was about it.

I did a little scouting last time there and found this place. I showed it to my nephew and told him I wanted to hunt there next time. Well the nice guy he is he hung a stand a month ago there for me. Problem was, he's a little more agile, has longer legs and all that youthful stuff. He used my 20 foot climbing stick I left behind but put the stand a minimum of a foot or more higher than the last step. He put it in a small tree. It was only about 5 inches or maybe 6 at stand height. I started up in the dark, got there, dropped my safety vest rope and went back down. Went back up and while pulling my self into this stand the tree starts shaking and I said to hell with it. I don't need a deer this bad. I'm not dying here.

I climbed down, tested the wind and went down wind of my trails finding a nice little wash out about a foot and half deep in the throns and brush. Cut out two quick lanes and sat down, feet in ditch. An hour later this guy with a purpose in his walk, neck stuck out and smoke coming from his nose shows up. I had heard him grunt behind me 10 minutes before, or at least a deer grunt. I was hidden well back ina small black hole. I had my release on the string and the bow resting in my bow holster. I was looking right, thought I heard something and looked left and he was there. I instantly drew, he stopped and turned to lookbut the arrow was gone.... that quick. I didn't get to enjoy it. He was 12 yards away. I saw the sight picture and that was it. The exit hole is higher than the entrance hole. Shot right over his heart. He let out a heck of grunt/bellow when I hit him. My nephew sitting 400 yards away heard it. He tore off into the dangest thicket of thorns and brush like it wasn't there. I had to leave my bow behind and crawl in to follow the blood. He only made it 45-50 yards. Shuttle T did the damn damn on him. The blood on my hand is mine. When I got him all the way out I had many more cuts including a 3 inch thorn slash under my eye. LOL

Measured field dressed weight... 186. G 2's are 10 inches..

Good weekend. Great time. Great story about the doe hunt but later.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:20 PM

Default RE: Bucks are on the move... pics

Congrats DAvid! That's a very nice buck! I'm impressed with the makeshift "stand" you found.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:20 PM

Congrats David, thats a great buck and it sounds like an even better hunt!
Old 11-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

Nice Job! Heck of a buck
Old 11-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Way to go David
Old 11-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

Nice one! Congrats

Old 11-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I saw a real nice heavy 10 point the next morning while hunting does. It wasn't as tall as this and had shorter tines(not by much) but a lot more mass. I was out of buck tags anyway so it didn't matter he was out of range.[&:] He was worrying the crap out of a doe. Fun to watch though.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

What county were you in? We're heading back to Muskingum County on Friday. You think they'll still be chasing?
Old 11-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats David, thats a really nice buck.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Dominant Buck

FastBuck, they're just getting going. Next week should be perfect... except maybe for the full moon. I was going next week but after checking the moon chose this past 4 days. We saw bucks at high noon trolling wide open fields between wood lots every day we drove back home. We were hunting Warren County I believe it is,just outside of Oxford. OPS, just read your post again. If you aren't going to Friday, things may change.[:'(] They'll still be doing their thing no doubt but will be herding their hunnies up.

Quick Reply: Bucks are on the move... pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.