Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

grunt call

Old 11-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default grunt call

im having MAJOR issues with my True Talker.

i LOVE the sound of it....but ive found on cold days, i might as well leave it at home because its gunna be useless to me. the reed will stick...i think its due to the condensation of my breath. ive tried putting it in my coat and inside my bibs even...didnt help.

ideas?? quick fix to get me through this last week? ive found my rattling is much more effective when i grunt before/during/after...really drives me nuts...last year i had a buck slip by and went to grunt at him and got nothing..thats when it started...that was the first REALLY cold morning i tried using it...this year, its happened numerous times..

if no fixes....is there another grunt call that sounds great but doesnt have that issue??

thanx!
Old 11-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: grunt call

Yeah that probably is from the condensation. It real cold weather it can freeze and cause the reed to stick. Thats why i use a grunter thats inhale only, so you dont have to worry about that problem. -I believe its made by A-way outdoors. Other than grunting with your mouth, i'm not sure of any quick fixes.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

A-way Bowgrunter plus.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

I get that all the time even when it's not that cold out. If i use mine a lot the moisture from my breath will cause it to stop working. I am constantly taking it apart and drying it off with my gloves to keep it working properly. I don't know what to tell you, besides look for one without a reed in it.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:48 PM

Never had the problem and I'vee been using one for years. Maybe because i blow through my facemask?? I dont really grunt that much so maybe thats why.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys...

im not interested in the bowgrunter if its the one im thinking of.....but i'll take a look...

i think if where the reed hit wasnt rubber, it wouldnt stick as well...could be wrong, but i think that may be the issue...i cant see it sticking if it was plastic and plastic..could be wrong...

i'll have to try blowing through a face mask or my sleeve or something...heck, if that works, i'll rig up a cloth filter around the opening lol...

i find that the grunt call is something important in my bag of tricks...nothin like the feeling of having a buck slip by and your grunt call is useless lol.....but even still, i do alot of bling calling...

Old 11-10-2008, 02:19 AM
Site Buck Guru

I get that all the time where I hunt. All you have to do is slowly breath through it with your warm breath and it will thaw. If you breath too hard it will let out a heck of a squawk when it first breaks free.When you get home bring it in the house to dry out, No need to take it apart.

I screeched mine at a big buck one time by accident and he didn't mind. He didn't like it when I shot him though!
Old 11-10-2008, 03:26 AM

Quaker Boy Brawler. No reed issues.