Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Any luck with calls? >

Any luck with calls?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any luck with calls?

Old 11-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Any luck with calls?

Most of the deer I saw before this weekendcame in to calling/rattling sequences. I've hadthe best luck with rattling/grunting together rather than grunting alone.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had several small bucks come in to the can call this year but had my best success with the Primos Buck Roar. I took my ten pointer last week about 10 minutes after blind calling with the Buck Roar and called in a few other bucks in the days before.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

Last Monday and Tuesday, I rattled and had buck after buck come in. All in all, I rattled approximately 10 times and saw bucks within 5 minutes of 8 of those rattling sequences. A few sequences brought a few bucks. Mostly 1.5 year olds, but a few shooters. The buck I ended up getting came in 5 times. Yes, 5 times.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had a TON of response from calling. Last week alone I had a 4 point come in and I can called it and it turned and walk to 10 yards. The next day I had a 7 point come about 50 yards out, I can called it, no response. Grunted at him and he jumped and turned and trotted into about 8 yards. A few weeks prior to that I rattled in 4 different bucks on one day from one spot. I've had tons of response from rattling this year as well.

Oh, and yesterday I rattled and had a little 4 point come in. I let him walk by and then decided I'd see if I could call him back. I got the grunt out, gave two soft grunts, and he turned around and walked back in to around 15 yards. Up until this year I wasnt sure that calls worked, but this year has definitely changed my mind.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Grunted in a nice eight this morning. He came in on a rope till about 60 yards and then got nervous since he didn't see anything. I usually have pretty good success with the grunt at the right time of year but the can doesn't seem to produce for me for some reason.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:29 PM

Havent had any luck blind calling but have grunted in a few small bucks. Nothing has come to the can or rattlingyet.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I have very limited time in the woods (like this year) I'm really vocal with the calls. I blind call ALOT. Doesn't always work, but its fun when it does.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

Greg, Friday out i Ogle county I had some success with calls. In the morning I had a 2 small 8pts a 4pt come in to rattling and grunting this happened about 7:30am. At 8am I had a big 8pt probably 3 1/2 yr old come in 10min after rattling and grunting. He saw my decoy and started walking away so I grunted at him with the buck roar and theat turned him towards the decoy with the hair on his back bristling up. I stopped him and clipped a branch and hit him in the leg,I lookeda long time but no luck. Hopefully it wasn't a lethal hit.

Friday at 3pm I saw a nice tall 8pt 130-140 class at about 120 yards, I rattled and he came on a string to 60yds and he froze looking for the bucks fighting. I grunted with the buck roar and that made him jump the fence and give me a 40yd shot which he jumped the string. I've never seen a deer drop as much as he did.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not much luck with calls. I got one buck to turn around and come back to me with the can, but he didn't commit.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

Over the years I have had bucks looking for the source of the call. I actually had 3 bucks show up this year after a few bleats and a series of roars and grunts. It was cool for sure to see 3 bucks show up at one time.

Quick Reply: Any luck with calls?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.