Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late rut?

Old 11-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Late rut?

I am reading it from hunters in many states, that they're seeing very little rut activity for the first week of Nov. I must agree with this. I have seen ONE deer (basket 8pt) since Monday, and hunted 5 out of 6 days, including this morning (4hrs)with a total of 45 hours on stand!! That's really sad.I have NEVER seen this the first week of Nov since I started bowhunting.
Several folks are saying the rut is going to be a week later than usual because of moon phase? I'm thinking now, there just might be some sunstance to this concept. What are everyone elses thoughts on the lack of rutting activity? I thought I'd have killed a nice buck by now.[&o]It will have to be next week becausePa's early season ends next Sat!
Old 11-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Late rut?

My last 5 sits have resulted in only 6 deer sightings. Last year the2nd full moon fell onOct. 26th, and I saw great rutting action right before and the day after was great for me. This year the moon will be Nov. 13th.

Take from it what you will as some don't follow it. I still hunt regardless of the moon phase, but I feel more confident that I will see deerwhen I know whatis supposed to behappening.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff,

I am a believer in the hunter's moon. Read more below in the links. This year the rutting moon falls on November 13th. Bucks will start seriously seeking a few days before that. The day after the full moon,heavy chasingbegins.Pay attention to thespiking number of deer/car collisions right after the hunter's moon. It's not coincidental imo.7-10 days following the full moon will be the best hunting of the year. The week after that, the bucks generally will be on lock down. This process repeats 1 full moon later involving the does that did not get bred in the first rut.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_will_northwest_MO_deer_go_into_rut_in_2007

http://growthehunt.typepad.com/grow_the_hunt/2007/10/timing-the-2007.html

http://www.outdooreyes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=295621

Then after you're done reading those, here's a moon phase calculator for you. Just punch in any date you want and it will spit out a picture of what the moon looked/will look like for that date.
http://www.briancasey.org/artifacts/astro/moon.cgi

-Heu

Old 11-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not a beliver in the moon

I had hot doe bed down 50 yds from me most of the day. Her Tarels looked good, not one buck showed up.

The "slow" rut is due to poor buck to doe ratios IMO
Old 11-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Last 2 hunts I have seen 9 different Bucks plus does. The bucks are starting to chase a little here in S. IL.

Get in the woods and stay there. I saw a buck today at 12:10 PM and another buck at 1:30 PM. Then at 3 PM it was on til dark

Dan
Old 11-08-2008, 05:48 PM

Where I have been hunting this year, Ohio, NY and CT, the weather hasn't exactly helped either. This time last year was pretty nippy if I recall, and that somewhat started it off.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Last 2 hunts I have seen 9 different Bucks plus does. The bucks are starting to chase a little here in S. IL.

Get in the woods and stay there. I saw a buck today at 12:10 PM and another buck at 1:30 PM. Then at 3 PM it was on til dark

Dan
And I did not see one In stand the entire day[:-]
Old 11-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Dan
And I did not see one In stand the entire day[:-]
Germ, You need to come hunt with me. I don't think I've hunted and not seen at least one deer yet this season.

I can remember the days not so long ago though

Dan
Old 11-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont think the rut is later this year locally in NE Iowa. From what I have seen and heard, the last few days have been the 'peak' chase phase - bucks moving like mad. Last weekend was just the start and I think they will start locking down when the majority of the does come around here very soon. We also have a very good buck/doe ratio right now.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

I dont think the rut is later this year locally in NE Iowa. From what I have seen and heard, the last few days have been the 'peak' chase phase - bucks moving like mad. Last weekend was just the start and I think they will start locking down when the majority of the does come around here very soon. We also have a very good buck/doe ratio right now.
Same here in SW Ia. The bucks went crazy the last two days. Today Iwas told by twofriends who visually saw breeding take place, so there are definately does in estrous. I was out this a.m. and didn't see much due to the wind, but my brother in law went back out tonight and saw at least a dozen different bucksincluding acouple whoppers. I've seen more mature deer the last two days than I've seenin years.

Quick Reply: Late rut?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.