HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Hunt when it's snowing or after it snows? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/272417-hunt-when-its-snowing-after-snows.html)

mi_fiveo 11-08-2008 05:02 AM

Hunt when it's snowing or after it snows?

It is supposed to snow here today 1-3 inches. I'm heading to the stand this afternoon. Just wondering if you prefer to hunt when its snowing or after? I tend to see more deer movement after it snows. I'll be out anyway though!

CCPaHunter 11-08-2008 05:27 AM

RE: Hunt when it's snowing or after it snows?

mi, I don't think 1-3 is going to put them to bed. Besides that I love being in the woods when it's snowing. To me listening to snowflakes landing on the leaves and watching the woods transform to from brown to white is almost magical. It goes into the column of other reasons why we do what we do. Guys, sorry if that sounded gay but I love the snow. We don't as much as you guys up North.

cterbow 11-08-2008 06:21 AM

i would rather hunt in the snow visibility is increase (as long as its not a whiteout) and it seems to get the deer feeding like crazy. i lived in michigan and loved to see fresh tracks in the fresh snow. lets me know where they are and where they are going the heaviest. Good luck out there how far in the upper are you. in the U.P.?

mi_fiveo 11-08-2008 07:52 AM

I'm near the Wisconsin border. Hope the snow helps because it has been a bad season so far. Very little deer movement or activity. I have hunted probably twenty five days since October 1st. Lots of time on stand, zero to show for it!

Deleted User 11-08-2008 08:03 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

chrowski 11-08-2008 09:18 AM

If I have the time, I like to hunt during the snow b/c it's just awsome...then after the snow, especially if the snow stops just before sunrise, I like to get out there and use it as some later-season scouting. I've seen it where there's 1.5-2'' of snow on the ground and does still beat their trails to the point where it's almost solid dirt. Set up on the less traveled parellel trails and that's my paydirt.

crazedbowhunter 11-08-2008 09:23 AM

I shot my buck this year while it was snowing;)

cterbow 11-08-2008 09:27 AM

i lived further south near the flint area. up there you get some good snow to say the least. i would hope that they.. if there are any left.... get moving knowing now winter is here

Schultzy 11-08-2008 09:39 AM

I love hunting In both!!

Roskoe 11-08-2008 11:52 AM

Out here, snow is often accompanied by strong winds. In this case, they will generally hole up until it's over, then come out and feed like crazy. But if the snow is falling lightly - and not horizontally - hunt all day under these conditions.