Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you stay warm? >

How do you stay warm?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you stay warm?

Old 11-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default How do you stay warm?

Just want to hear some good tricks for staying warm in a tree, especially with wind.

I wear
underarmor coldgear (tights and shirt)
sweatpants sprayed down with scentshield
fleece jacket sprayed with scentshield
scentlok base layer shirt
scentlok bibs
scentlok jacket
rubber bootsw/ 2 pairs of socks
scentlok hood mask with fleece hat
muff for my hands with shooting gloves

I stay warm just fine if the wind is calm but on windy days it cuts right through, any good material to wear under to keep the wind from whipping through the fabric.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How do you stay warm?

I wear a very similar setup, im good on calm days but yesterday the wind blew about 40mph and the temp hovered around freezing. That wind cut right through me...hope someone has a good tip to keep the wind out.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it is cold and windy, I make sure I wear an outer layer of gortex or windstop. You have to stop the wind before it gets into the layers and blows your warmth away.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

I wishI could help but I have yet to hunt this year when the temps have been in the 30's yet.[:@] I don't think it is going to get cold!
Old 11-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

During bow, I wear all the essentials, just carry a few of the hand warmers and stick em in the pockets. Also, make a thermos of boilin hot chicken broth. If it was coffee, it'd run through me faster than anything.

During rifle, I have a different setup, enclosed stand, windows, yada yada, except instead of propane heater, I have this great old porcelin sterno stove, which works great. Throws heat like a blast furnace and your stay nice and warm.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the best thing I have found to stop the wind from coming through.

Wear rain gear as your second to last layer, beneath a quiet outer shell. It stops the bite of the wind and helps you retain your heat.

I like this combination:

1) Under Armour long sleeve loose gear.
2) Some kind of long john top over that/fleece possibly
3) rain gear/waterproof layer
4) Your jacket

And do not wear any of them too tight.

Remember, space between materials help keep your warmth in, and things being too tight leave you exposed as the warm air is not allowed to stay inside your clothes.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the temps are really starting to plummet, here is my layering regimin.

Under Armor Cold Gear top and bottom.
Polartec Classic 200 fleece
Rocky heavy weight fleece vest
Cabelas Windsheir Wool Fatique sweater
Grey Wolf Woolens Wolfskin jacket with thinsulate and Wind barrier.
Under Armor Cold Gear balaclava hood
Good warm hat

I can hunt comfortably down to about 10-15 degrees in this setup.

Perhaps the most important thing you can do is make sure your head, neck and kidneys are warm. If you don't have a good warm hat on your head, you're not going to last very long. Most heat escapes there.

The best peice of clothing I've bought is that Cabelas Wool sweater. That thing can get downright warm if its anywhere above 50 degrees. Next is the vest. Adds to the core warms but doesn't add bulk to my arms.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

Budist Meditation....
Old 11-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

In really cold weather I'll put one of those heater pads for back pain on over my bottom layer. The heat pad warms the kidneys, thus warming the blood and I'm roasty all day long. On extra windy days when the wind is whipping down the back of my collar I'll put on one of the neck pain heat pads.

I haven't had to use this the last few years though as it's been so warm in the winters.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

Jackets and wool sweaters with windstop in them work great. Also, they now have the adhesive warming pads (8 hr) for backaches/neckaches that I think would work great if you put it across your lower back to keep your kidneys warm. It would warm your blood. Just something I am going to try this year during late season.

Quick Reply: How do you stay warm?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.