Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My bucks can tell time...Seriously. >

My bucks can tell time...Seriously.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My bucks can tell time...Seriously.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Spike

Default My bucks can tell time...Seriously.

I have a couple of nice bucks coming into my feeder, but for the most part they show upafter dark. In fact, the biggest one was there last night just an hour after shooting hours were over.I have my feeder set to only feed during daylight hours butit doesn't seem to be making adifference.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all on how to try andget these deer to come in earlier?
Old 11-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My bucks can tell time...Seriously.

I cant use them where I'm at but I would try having it feed at like 3am. Or cut back on how much its feeding so when it goes off there is only enough for 1 or 2 deer. So when it gone its gone and maybe they would come in sooner so they don't miss out. Never been able to use one, but thats what I would do.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

I would set it to throw slightly earlier and less feed. that will force them to come earlier or not at all. that is the risk you must be willing to take. you can also try to trick them by lets say setting your feeder 1 1/2 hours before dark to throw half as much as youve been throwing and then again 1/2 hour before dark to 15 min before dark to throw the other half. don't know why, but i've heard that worked before. they also sell an auto matic feeder that is like a trough that opens at daylight and closes at night time allowing deer to eat as much as they want during the day, but do not get fed at night. my last suggestion is to move your feeder closer to where the bucks are coming from, so it dosen't take them as long to get to your feeder.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Spike

There is deer around the feeder all night long so I'm hesitant to set a feeding time for atnight. I'm also hesitant to cut back too much as I don't want the deer to totally stopcoming to it.Right now it's set for 8 AM, noon, and 5 PM.I think I'll tweakyour suggestion a bit and cut out the noon feeding time.

Thanks for your suggestion Ranger!
Old 11-07-2008, 12:59 PM

Why depend on the feeder to try and shoot a mature buck? I have a couple feeders but I dont hunt over them. They are to keep the does in the area. Myabe move deper and deeper into he woods until you figure it out.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: jklink

I would set it to throw slightly earlier and less feed. that will force them to come earlier or not at all. that is the risk you must be willing to take. you can also try to trick them by lets say setting your feeder 1 1/2 hours before dark to throw half as much as youve been throwing and then again 1/2 hour before dark to 15 min before dark to throw the other half. don't know why, but i've heard that worked before. they also sell an auto matic feeder that is like a trough that opens at daylight and closes at night time allowing deer to eat as much as they want during the day, but do not get fed at night. my last suggestion is to move your feeder closer to where the bucks are coming from, so it dosen't take them as long to get to your feeder.
I can't move any closer to where the bucks are coming from as I'm already just off the property line from a no hunting area by less than a 100 yards. Both you and ranger have suggested cutting back on how much is fed so I think that may be the avenue I take. I can cut out that noon feeding time, change the evening times to what you suggested, and I may even change the morning feeding time, too. Although the bucks aren't there in the AM.

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Predator19

Why depend on the feeder to try and shoot a mature buck? I have a couple feeders but I dont hunt over them. They are to keep the does in the area. Myabe move deper and deeper into he woods until you figure it out.
Because this is the only property that I have to hunt. It's only a 1/4 of ground that is surrounded byproperty that I can't hunt. The property to the southdoesn't allow anyhunting whatsoever, the north side is owned by a landowner who bowhunts too (he's also an a*****e, but that's another story), and there's nothing but CRP and farmground on the other two sides. So I'm pretty much limited to what I'm doing now. I got a nice one last year this same way on this same property.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Kojak248

ORIGINAL: Predator19

Because this is the only property that I have to hunt. It's only a 1/4 of ground that is surrounded byproperty that I can't hunt. The property to the southdoesn't allow anyhunting whatsoever, the north side is owned by a landowner who bowhunts too (he's also an a*****e, but that's another story), and there's nothing but CRP and farmground on the other two sides. So I'm pretty much limited to what I'm doing now. I got a nice one last year this same way on this same property.
Ah i see. You're only chance may be to catch a buck trailing a doe during the rut. Best of luck.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Spike

I did have two bucks come in following does last night but neither one was a shooter. I'm getting ready to head back out there in a little bit. Maybe tonight's the night!

I do appreciateeveryone's help. Thanks guys!
Old 11-08-2008, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya, if there not coming in at noon cut that feeding time for sure. IMO, have it feed at like 8am and 3pm and play with how much it puts out. I think it will take a few days for the deer to figure out the change, and I think they would make the change also.GL, I hope something works for you.

Quick Reply: My bucks can tell time...Seriously.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.