Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 cutting diameter >

cutting diameter

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

cutting diameter

Old 11-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default cutting diameter

is it me or are people just blind to the fact that a 2" cut on a 2 blade broadhead cuts the same amount of tissue as a 1" cut four blade head. this is just an example , just seems like everyone is going crazy over the huge cuts and wounds. the cut is whatever the widest point of the blade is thats all. angle of entry and exit is what makes it look differnt because you slice long ways as it goes through.

just venting alittle , but really does nobody else see this trend of talking about big cuts esp from rage and undertaker users.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: cutting diameter

also why is it called a diameter when there are only two points, thats a slice or line. i wish they rated broadheads by cutting surface, end alot of hype on some heads since theyd be equal to alot of other heads.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Spike

yes its cuts the same amount of tissue but over a wider area which may be of importance depending on shot placement. i have been using 2 blade vortex broadheads with a 2.5 inch cut for the last ten years and i have noticed a big difference compared with my first ten years. i know there are other variable'sbut i truly believe they give me a better chance on a less than perfect hit.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:02 AM
Dominant Buck

So the question is......WOuld you rather be shot with this......4 blades @ 2" ea.....for a total cutting surface of 8"........

or....

ONE blade that's 8" long?

Both wounds are going to cut completely through you.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:57 AM

How about the Slick Trick mag 1 1/8'' four blade 2.25'' total cut
Or the Spitfire 1 1/2'' three blade, total cut is 2.25''
I have both in the quiver and I expect a copious blood trail either way. [8D]
Old 11-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

This has been gone over numerous times before but heare we go again.

Cutting diameter = the size of the wound channel

Cutting surface = the amount of damage within the wound channel (see above)

What's more important? That, I guess, is open for debate but think about it this way.

Lets take 3 Bh's and compare.

Slick Trick Standard:

1" Cutting diameter
2" Cutting surface

This means you will get 2" of surface cutting damage within a 1" cutting area

Rage 2-blade

2" Cutting diameter
2" Cutting surface

This means you will get 2" of cutting surface within a 2" cutting area

Broadhead xyz

1" Cutting diameter
4" Cutting surface (8 blades)

This means you will get 4" of cutting surface within a 1" cutting area

Example 1 and 3 both give you a 1" cutting area but by simply adding more blades example 3 has 4" of cutting surface. Does this make this head superior to example 1? According to what you are saying your answer should be yes. But in each bh example you are still obtaining the same 1" cutting diameter.

Comparingexamples 1 and 2 you are getting a much larger wound channel(cutting diameter)in example 2 (Rage) and they same amount of damage (cutting surface) as example1(Slick Trick). The big difference is that with the Slick Trick all the damage is occuring in a small 1" wound channel compared to the 2" wound channel of the Rage.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

I am still not convinced that you get more blood and damage with a two blade rage than a MUzzy MX-4, or a slick trick magnum. Why is it better to have the cutting area made thinner and longer? I think its just advertising.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Another thought, although this might be irrelevent with todays high speed set-ups, woudnt a longer cutting diameter create more friction and thus less penetration?
Old 11-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

i think sometimes the long cut might be better at hitting more things but at the same time if the blades hit in the opposite direction (across instead of up and down or whatever) it wont make much difference. i really am not saying one its better im just saying i think people make it out to be way more then it really is.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok. Wow. Well lets see. If I have something that cuts a 2 inch slice, and I have something else that cuts a 1 inch slice, the 2inch slice will cut so much more tissue and create a bigger wound channel and a much easier blood trail. A 2 inch cut through a deers heart will expell alot more blood than a 1 inch cut through a deers heart.

YES, it will create more friction as well, but thats what happens with such a devastating wound.

Quick Reply: cutting diameter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.