Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Widest fixed blade broad head? >

Widest fixed blade broad head?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Widest fixed blade broad head?

Old 11-06-2008, 07:38 PM

Default RE: Widest fixed blade broad head?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I actually don't care how YOU look at it. If a man said he was gonna throw two knives at me......one was a four blade but was only 1.25" in Dia. and the other was one single blade that was 2".......

Please mister.....throw the smaller one. Which one would you choose? WHich one would that be (the smaller one)?

Never mind. I don't care.
sure you do, thats why youve asked 4 times.

I think it is better to ask, if a man was to throw TWO 1.25" knives or ONE 2" knife...which would you choose....ummm...ill take the single knife that doesnt cut as much.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trevor....I'm not playing the age card on you. If you can't discern the answer from what I've given you.....them I'm giving you too much credit. Really....it isn't that hard. I (like Matt) disagree that the smaller diameter fixed head .....even though it has perpendicular blades......is optimal. It has a 1.25" cutting diameter.....no matter which way you slice it (pun, intended). The rage's cutting "diameter" (albeit linear) is 2".

What are you seeking an answer to that I haven't given you numerous times?

GMMAT

So it's all about diameter???

Picture a 2 inch diameter 2 blade Rage
Now what if you had a 2 inch diameter broadhead that has 4 blades, each with a 2 inch diameter. Which one, as you put it, has a better chance or odds of hitting the most vital organs?

If it's only about diameter then obviously both would be the same. But looking at this diagram....I don't think so

Old 11-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Vortex 125 gr. 2 blade leaves a 1.5 inch cutting diameter and I've shot deer that ran 12 yards and died on sight with these heads.

I bought my first Vortex in 1993 and I'll lay them against my Rage or NAP spitfires any day. They're bad....

Who cares about the o-ring...if you place it in the right spot it leaves a Gargatuent hole...

Its all about placement....a flint head leaves a deer dead within 30 yards if you put it in the lungs our heart.

Shot Placement

placement

placement

placement!!!!

Old 11-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTW, how would you like to have to try to tune a bow to that broadhead?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Are you that stupid, Trev?

WHy don't you use realistic numbers? 4 blades of 2" ea. vs. one blade of 8". Whiich one you want slung at you with enough force to go all the way through you?

You're making MY argument! Thanks!
Old 11-06-2008, 07:49 PM

Are you that stupid, Trev?

WHy don't you use realistic numbers? 4 blades of 2" ea. vs. one blade of 8". Whiich one you want slung at you with enough force to go all the way through you?

You're making MY argument! Thanks!
wtf? lol where did these numbers come from.

a 4 blade 1.25" ST has two 1.25" blades....a rage has 1 2" blade Cutting ability......the numbers are NOT equal, the 4 blade cuts more. it isnt a 4 blade 1" diameter.....then it would be wash.

Using the numbers from the actual BHs being used, the options are 2 1.25" blades passing through you (each making a separate cut), or 1 2" blade....Ill take the 2" please.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

In the number of blades argument there will become a point of diminished returns. You would not benefit by adding more blades than 4 because you have already cut on both the X and Y axis and extra blades will only slice those arteries and veins into smaller pieces. This would not aid in creating greater blood loss or greater organ damage. The increase in friction and decrease in penetration would far outweigh any minute benefit of the added cutting ability of more than 4 blades.

Look at the drawing below. Trying to cut the very small ammount of tissue outside the diamond and inside the circle (green area) would be pointless.

Answer me this.....WHich head has a better chance.....by virtue of "odds" of hitting the most vital organs? Remember you're guessing on the orientation of the blades before they enter the chest cavity.

Has anyone answered this, yet?

Also....if you were gonna have to choose which one to be shot with.....which one would you choose? Refer to the above.
The fact is, givena 4blade headis cutting on both theX andY axis andthe two blade headis cutting on only theX ORY axis.........a 2 blade 2" diametercutand a 4 blade 1" diameter cut will have exactly the same chance of cutting equal ammounts of vital organs and veins.

A 4 blade 1.25" cut will have exactly 20% more chance of cuttingvital organs than a 2 blade 2" diameter broadhead.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:45 AM
Dominant Buck

This is the absurd .....and it proves my point.

Would you rather be shot with this head or cut with a blade that is 8" in length? Which will do more damage? Each wound will go all the way through you.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

paradigm
Old 11-07-2008, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have several different BHs. some fixed some mechs including Rage. That is really totally moot as I only posted to let ya'll know that I have been highly entertained this AM!

Quick Reply: Widest fixed blade broad head?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.