Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 UGH I need advice...women not deer... >

UGH I need advice...women not deer...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

UGH I need advice...women not deer...

Old 11-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: UGH I need advice...women not deer...

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

But for the record.....what would you say if she and her older sister headed to Vegas for a week......and wanted to get a "head start"?
Wouldn't bother me any as long as it's not all of my money she's spending.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

I'd go hunting. I would also talk with her about how important it is for you. Perhaps do something nice for her.

Besides this being something that you've been planning for a long time, you never know how much time you have left with your dad.
Had I known mine would be passed away when I was 31, he was 58, would have spent more time with him. And my father in law was in an accident last year, which left him paralyzed.

Basically, looking back, I regret not spending more time with my family, than I would about not spending one day with the wife/girlfriend.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:16 AM

As a female hunter with the opposite problem, I have to agree that I have fewer problems when Iencourage my hubby time out with his buddies. It also helps to plan hunting times so that the hubby doesn't feel obligated to watch our son. ThankGod that I have a very understanding mother and in-laws. This sometimes means less than optimal times to be in the woods, but sometimes that doesn't matter. Hubby hunts, but only during gun season, and with the attitude that if he can't get the deer within the opening weekend (and preferably within the first half hour of opening day), then it's not worth the time. I do try to do extra things for him, but I still get some snide remarks. Of course, this also is from a man that doesn't understand ANY of my passions, including fishing, horseback riding, photography, fish-keeping, reading, my work (I'm a lab tech at a hospital), etc... He doesn't have many hobbies other than playing on the X-Box 360, collecting guns to plink with,or working on the farm. I do encourage these as much as possible, though. (Anybody got an AR-15 for sale for a great price? [8D] J/K)

I guess my advice to you is if you really want the relationship to work, then try to show some interests in what makes her tick. Don't fake it, 'cause she will see right through it. Hubby attempted it with me, and now it just makes me frustrated and angry when he asks questions he really doesn't want to know the answer to and then spaces out when I try to talk to him about it. Encourage her interests, and you'd be surprised at how relaxed she should get about yours. This may be something as simple as finding out something that she really wants and springing for it. I'd be tickled pink if hubby would even spend some money for a $15 remote for my camera, but I don't expect it to happen, even if I ask for it. If she doesn't relax about your passion, THEN I would suggest running the other way. Relationships are two way streets, and being involved in each other's interests is what helps you to grow together.

And as a person who only got to hunt with her father just one time before he got too sick to be in the woods... Take advantage of the time you have. There are many times I with that I had my father to ask advice from, or even my grandfathers, especially since I just took up bowhunting last year and my father passed in early '06.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:18 AM

Oh... My final advice? Go with your father for the extra time. I would.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

I literally laughed out loud at some of the responses.....good thread.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

I've been hunting on weekends, away from the wife. Still have work to do at the house, and she lets me know that it's not done, but I went out and got tickets to the broadway show 'SPAMALOT', which means dinnerfor two and a play next week, then comesFriday,4:00am, head upstate, hunt bow in the morning. Head tothe other camp in the afternoon, getting ready for the next days rifle season. Time to BS with the boys, down a few "beverages", cook up a storm, and watch some Primos to get into the 'mood'. I use to look forward to this with my father, but he died at an early age. He was around till I was 27, now I'm his age, and I look forward to hunting with my son every year.He's won't be back from studies until late bow season, but I'll make some time for him when he gets back.

Remember, do something nice to make her know your thinking of her. Flowers are nice, but they die. Doing something, taking her somewhere where it just the two of you, nice restaurant, concert, tickets to a game, just show her you went out of your way to please her and it'll take the edge off your time away. Sure beats her pulling a Lorraina BOBBIT on your bod, hackin it off, and sayin "....Yeah, YOU can go, but your leaving HIM here with me !!!
Granted, I married a saint who puts up with all my "shahola", went out with her for 9 years before we got married, but from the start she knew I was gone during hunting season, that's it, no questions asked.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Hey man i understand ya. I have a girlfriend that is in school to be an RN right now and i only get to see her on weekends and maybe a day or so during the week. I thought she would be pissed my goin hunting every saturday but she didnt. She understands its someone i love. So i mean just talk to her about it, and see what happens. DOnt end up like my brother he got married and never talked to his wife about this stuff and now he can barely hunt and is not aloud to have animal mounts in the house. On the bright side, RN's do make really good money!!!!
Old 11-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

But for the record.....what would you say if she and her older sister headed to Vegas for a week......and wanted to get a "head start"?
With the rack on my wife...i'd encourage it, and tell her to try to get the trip paid for too!
Old 11-06-2008, 11:01 AM

How old are you Austin?
Only 20 man - though do I understand the point you were making. I never really gave thought to it - but I do the same thing for the girl who will become my fiance, when I have to cash to get her a ring .
Old 11-06-2008, 11:05 AM

FEMALE PERSPECTIVE CHECKING IN - GO HUNTING!!!!
[ul][*]Nicely explain you are going with your dad, family bonding - 1 point for you[*]You are not going with your buddies and blowing her off - another point for you[*]You care about her feelings, don't want her mad, but really looking forward to year long plans with dad[*]Invite her to go on your next hunting trip if she would like (ball in her court)-asking gives you the point no matter what she says (as long as you can handle having her in the woods with you)[*]When in doubt, send flowers[/ul]
oh and, good luck to you & your dad

Quick Reply: UGH I need advice...women not deer...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.