HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   shot placement? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/272019-shot-placement.html)

buckmaster_27 11-05-2008 06:09 PM

shot placement?

i hit a deer right in the shoulder i believe!!!i only got about 6 inch penitration and very little blood.i only found drops and then a small pool of blood whenever he stopped.there was a small amount of white hair also.could it have been a brisket shot?what are your thoughts on the deer making it?

it was about 30-35 yds at a slow walk.i tried to stop him but when he was at my lane he woulldnt stop.so i held right on the shoulder thinking it would hit behind the leg seeing he was moving.but i guess not.

PABrent 11-05-2008 06:17 PM

RE: shot placement?

You dont know where you arrow went in? If you hit a shoulder and got 6 inchs you should kill the deer, being that the lungs are right there. But if you shot to far forward you could be in for a long track. How high were you? how much do you pull for draw weight? What kinda broadheads?

buckmaster_27 11-06-2008 07:11 PM

wownot much advice.........

i was on the ground.it was broadside hoyt hypertec 60lbs spitfire exp.

blakefrautschi 11-06-2008 07:16 PM

sounds like you might have shot a little to far forward and possibly high
I couldnt really tell you anything if your not sure where you hit him..

Bryan7219 11-06-2008 07:17 PM

Six inches is plenty of penetration, did you find the arrow , if so were any blades bent or broken?

Bryan7219 11-06-2008 07:19 PM

How long did you give him, and how far have you tracked him?

deer_predator 11-06-2008 07:42 PM

Yesterday evening I hit a buck in the left shoulder square at 32 yrds. After a bit he broke the arrow off. I found that I got approximately 12 inches of penetration. He broke the arrow off leaving 4 3/4 in still in him. I trackedgood blood for over a 1/4 mile until it dried up. Called in reinforcements the next day and did not find squat! I have over 9 1/2 hours trying to find this deer. He is just indestructable....

I shoot Muzzy 3 blades; 71 lb draw.

Sometimes buckmaster it just happens that way. That is why it is called hunting and not Grocery Shopping ;)

125py 11-06-2008 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: buckmaster_27

i hit a deer right in the shoulder i believe!!!i only got about 6 inch penitration and very little blood.i only found drops and then a small pool of blood whenever he stopped.there was a small amount of white hair also.could it have been a brisket shot?what are your thoughts on the deer making it?

it was about 30-35 yds at a slow walk.i tried to stop him but when he was at my lane he woulldnt stop.so i held right on the shoulder thinking it would hit behind the leg seeing he was moving.but i guess not.
if you found white hair then it probably was not hit square in the shoulder...i have shot afew of bucks square in the shoulder with only 6 inches of penetration no blood trail and found themall within 60 yards....hopeyou find him

OHbowhntr 11-06-2008 08:04 PM

ORIGINAL: 125py

ORIGINAL: buckmaster_27

if you found white hair then it probably was not hit square in the shoulder...i have shot afew of bucks square in the shoulder with only 6 inches of penetration no blood trail and found themall within 60 yards....hopeyou find him

+1 on this, but THIS made me pretty sure you weren't really weren't sure where you hit, so I'd have a hard time giving you much advice when you really don't know where you hit the animal.

I think you need to focus more on where that hit is, follow that arrow in, if you have GOOD follow through, it will help a little. Also, shooting at a walking deer is not highly advisable, unless you have experience leading them a little, and have a nice CLEAR shot.