HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   early morning 11/5/08 big buck down PICS ADDED ! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/271930-early-morning-11-5-08-big-buck-down-pics-added.html)

nwtrykon87 11-05-2008 09:45 AM

early morning 11/5/08 big buck down PICS ADDED !

so heres the story.. im a college student so naturally i dont have the amount of time to hunt that i would like, so i decided to go out b4 class this morning.. im hunting a creek bottom flat behind my grandparents house which has been known to hold GIANTS!! i set up a ground blind a few days b4 hand over looking the shelf a funnel (only way to cross the creek is on my property/ steep cliffs for a mile in both directions) i was in the blind at 6 am.. sat there thinking im not going to see anything, and how i have to be out of the woods by 8 to go to class. All of the sudden i hear this crashing right b4 sunup.. and i mean crashing.. i never got to see the 2 bucks fight but it must have been something vicious.. it lasted for nearly 2 mins, then i heard this grunt/cry.. i cant even describe the noise.. it was like something out of a horror movie.. so naturally my attention is completely focused on the flat below me... 20 minute go by and i hear this walking/shuffling.. i think its a turkey.. next thing i knw i see this BIG long beamed 8 pointer coming up the ridge to me.. ears back/hair up.. then he looked at me at 11 steps.. BOTH HIS EYES HAD BEEN GOUGED OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i mean they were gone!.. just blood pouring down his face.. then i noticed he wasnt an 8 pointer at all.. he had 1 beautiful side.. and the other was a palmated mass with 3 points.. naturally i crushed him at 11 steps.. he ran about 60 yards and piled up.. ill post pics as soon as i figure out how to take them off my cell phone.. hes my biggest deer to date.. has a 22 1/2 " left side main beam..needless to say im glad i went out, but just for show of opinion.. did i do the right thing by shooting this animals because he was wounded so bad.. or should i have waited to put my tag on the bruiser that kicked his ass??

BetterBirddogs 11-05-2008 09:57 AM

RE: early morning 11/5/08 big buck down

Trykon you never know, you may have killed the winner. You did the right thing though.

txjourneyman 11-05-2008 10:18 AM

you did the right thing. no doubt in my mind

kickin_buck 11-05-2008 10:20 AM

I cannot wait to see the pics. A buddy of mine killed a buck last year that had holes poked in all over his body. I am sure that deer was going to die if it was not shot.

mofireman 11-05-2008 10:27 AM

In my opinion you did the ethical thing! That buck (missing both eyes) would have not lasted very long at all if there are anyyotes at all around there. No worries!!

Rob/PA Bowyer 11-05-2008 10:28 AM

I've often wondered why we don't see more pictures of bucks with missing or injured eyes.

Looking forward to the pics.

Austin/WI 11-05-2008 10:31 AM

Wow, congrats on the buck and way to have the presence of mind to take a badly wounded animal - you did him a favor. Looking forward to pics!

nwtrykon87 11-05-2008 10:33 AM

here is a pic of wat my buck looks like.. its not my buck, but it might as well be his identical twin.. i will post my actual pics soon as i can figure out how to get then from cell phone to computer
http://s524.photobucket.com/albums/cc329/bringemdown/?action=view&current=identbuck.jpg

buckeyehntr5 11-05-2008 10:34 AM

Great story and can't wait to see the pics!

DannyD 11-05-2008 10:35 AM

Great story. Can't wait to see the pics

Kinda gives new meaning to " i'm gonna gouge your eyes out" (in my best Richard Simmons Voice)before a fight though.