Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

please help

Old 11-05-2008, 08:48 AM

Default please help

i am 16 and at 18 yards exactly i can hit a quarter with my bow. i get nervous when the deer actually show up and start breathing hard and shake. since the last time i went hunting and a couple does showed up then i drew back on one and before i could even get it halfway drawn up she ran. my bow is at 63 pounds and i usually must point it towards the sky to draw. please help and would need something that would help quickly without changing much because i am going this afternoon. so if someone could please help it would be much appriecated.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: please help

Lower your poundage.
You don't need 63 to kill a deer. 55 is more than enough.

Keep going to the stand. The more deer you see, the more relaxed you will become.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remeber, a little nerves is a good thing. It is what makes it worth going. I agree with lowering your poundage.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have to point it to the sky to draw back your poundage is way to high. You need to be able to draw back with as little movement as possible and be on the deer. Make sure you wait until the deer are looking the other way, the head isbehind a tree or down. Get in shooting position before they get to close.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:20 AM

if anyone can give any advise to a 16 year old hunter please do.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

if anyone can give any advise to a 16 year old hunter please do.
The right advice has been given already. Your bow poundage Is way to high for you. Drop It down a good 10 lbs.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

drop your poundage to 55-58, youre drawing more than you are capable of. You shoudl be able to draw back slowly and smoothly with out fighting the draw.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:39 PM

Agee, poundage is to high. Try 50 to 55 lbbut shoot and see if you still are on. Thats quite a drop in poundage withoutthings changing.
Good luck!
Old 11-05-2008, 01:39 PM

Other than I agree with what the previous folks talked about " draw weight", here is my advice. I have helped a lot of young hunters to overcome what we call "buck fever". Once you decide that the animal is the one your shooting focus in on that one spot on the animal you want the arrow to hit.

Stop looking at the deer as a whole animal. focus intently on that one spot. Just think of being on your archery range, when you aim at the target you are not looking at the entire target intensely you are looking at that one spot you want your arrow to hit.

It has helped my older boys get past the shakes. I believe a lot of first time/young hunters forget to concentrate in the excitement of the moment. I am not saying this is the case with your shaking but other then draw weight it sounds like a serious case of "buck fever".

Good luck

Dave

Old 11-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

yep....your muscles will start to develop to where you can draw that much....but right now drop it 10lbs atleast. Ideally you should be able to point your pin at the animal and draw back without it moving (relatively speaking).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.