Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's? >

Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's?

Old 11-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's?

I've killed 3 with the rage. All but one was a pass through, and the one that wasn't was a quartering away shot and I hit the off shoulder a little and the arrow was sticking out the other side. Still put the doe down in less than 30 yards.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am 3 for 3 with pass throughs with the Rage this year. The fletchings did hang up on the opposite side of my buck, but the arrow fell after 30 yds. I am going to call that a pass through. This was also a really big buck body wise. The two does I shot it blew through them and stuck in the ground.

Shane
Old 11-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

One pass through, and one lodged in the offside. The one lodged in the offside cut 4 ribs on the way in, and 2 on the offside. He was quartering away.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, After our conversation the other night I took a big mature doe. No pass thru. She fell within sight and as usual there was a gapping wound on the entrance side. I saw her go down but decided to follow the trail just to check it out. 17 yards Im 25 feet up I hit her perfectly. 10yards fromimpact there was good blood. This deer was on a full run until she fell. The trail was very impressive for the first 30 yards but did get lean for the last ten. By then she was in full sight anyways. When I skined her the rage was in the oppisite leg armpit. I simply pulled it thru with my fingers. It wasn't lodged, it just didn't go thru the hyde. I have shot the snypers with simular results.
There should be no argument that these heads get less pass thurs than fixed. I have lost zero deer shooting the rage or snypers. Like mentioned it's the "what if"in the back of my mind that I just don't need when a big buck comes thru. I put coc"s back on my arrows. Good luck with your choice.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm going to experiment Chris. Check my thread out "Getting back on the horse" I posted, today. I shot a doe this morning at FIVE YARDS.....from 20' up. She was perfect broadside and I didn't get a pass-thru, either....althogh i did get an exit wound (see the thread pics). If I don't get a pass-thru on that shot......what's up?

Luckily.....she was shot through the heart.....and the blood just GUSHED out of the entrance wound at the POI. It was a geyser. I followed the blood trail (albeit 120yds) without having to break stride.

I'm interested in which head you decided on, Chris.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

I've only read the first three pages and stopped to write this.

A PASSTHROUGH IS THE BROADHEAD STICKING OUT THE OTHER SIDE!

A passthrough doesn't need to stick in the ground 6". The optimal penetration is using a bh that leaves the largest wound and makes it completely through the animal. The bh and arrow doesn't do any more damage once it leaves the animal.

A very knowledgeable bowhunter told me he wants the largest cutting diameter bh that will reach the opposite side of the deer once it penetrates andanything else is wasted energy.

By the way, I shoot 260fps (not fast by today's standards)and have had passthroughs on 3 Kansas whitetails ranging from 250-330lbs, live weight, at 15-30 yards.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

The buck I shot with a 3 blade muzzy out of my GTO at 32 yards, stuck 6 inches in the ground 5 yards beyond POI. Clearly not as devistating of a wound, but still just as dead.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: annika3

I've only read the first three pages and stopped to write this.

A PASS THROUGH IS THE BROADHEAD STICKING OUT THE OTHER SIDE!

A pass through doesn't need to stick in the ground 6". The optimal penetration is using a bh that leaves the largest wound and makes it completely through the animal. The bh and arrow doesn't do any more damage once it leaves the animal.

A very knowledgeable bow hunter told me he wants the largest cutting diameter bh that will reach the opposite side of the deer once it penetrates andanything else is wasted energy.

By the way, I shoot 260fps (not fast by today's standards)and have had pass throughs on 3 Kansas whitetails ranging from 250-330lbs, live weight, at 15-30 yards.
I agree annika that It's still a pass through. When the arrow stays In the deer It can do some great damage on an iffy hit as well. But In saying what I did I would much rather have that arrow buzzing on through and not In the deer so them holes can bleed out that much better. I've tracked many deer, many bear and a few elk and when the arrow never went completely through and out of the animal a good share of them blood trails were tough being the arrow was still In the animal plugging It up some. Either way on a good shot (pass through or not) the animal Is dead but when there's not much blood to find that right there can make a difference of finding that animal or not. These animals have been knowing to travel great distances on excellent shots regardless of the broad head used.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

original:annika3
A PASSTHROUGH IS THE BROADHEAD STICKING OUT THE OTHER SIDE!
I guess likea lot of things we all have our own definitions. Your comment is a description of what I call a partial passthrough. Granted the broadhead has done its part in as much tissue damage as possible but a partial passthrough does not allow me to inspect the arrow and learn more about the shot and how to go about on the recovery.

I agree it doesn't have to go 6" in the ground but a complete pass through definitely gives me more knowledge than a partial pass through.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:31 PM

I just ordered two packs of 2 blade snypers. I feel the bigger cutting diameter is an added benefit. After reading this, I'm also a little concerned. So, my arrow is going to stay in the deer until it gets broken off or falls out? If I start breaking arrows on every shot then I'll have to go back to fixed.

For those that do NOT get a passthru, does your arrow just fall out somewhere along the blood trail or does it get broken?

Quick Reply: Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.