Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's? >

Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's?

Old 11-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's?

I have shot 2 deer with the rage. They were both complete pass thru's. Both deer only went 50 yards. I have heard nothing but good things about recoverys after a deer is hit with the rage. Thats whyI got them. I dont think i will change for a while. Have you seen some of the entry wounds and exit wounds even if its not a complete pass thru the deer wont go far. You have such a big hole in the deer thats they lose alot of blood.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fletch920

Less than a month ago anyone that wasnt shouting the virtues of a Rage from the rooftopswas called a peanut gallery hater. YES, YES, YES, they ARE burning up THAT MUCH ENERGY. It is the law of physics at work. Is it easier to push the tip of a fillet knife througha steak or push the entire blade lengthwise through and cut it in half??? Not to mention the energy wasted on moving parts. They will underperform a fixed blade head on many hits.They have their place,........... in a turkey blind. I killed a 240# buck last Tuesday with a fixed blade head. After hitting the back of his shoulder blade and cutting through 2 ribs I stillhad to pull the arrow out of the ground.Remember, I only pull 28" @ 68#. I can not improve on that, nor would I want to try.Large mechanical are the head of choice for turkeys for the very reason they are NOT the best choice for big game.

I agree, fletch.

I subscribe to the therory of "what if". What if I make a less than desirable shot? I want to have every bit of advantage I can. I've had my fixed heads do some devastating things on not so desirable shots....where I am fairly certain a mech would not have done nearly as well. Personally, I feel "don't fix it if it ain't broke". Muzzy, Magnus, Slick Trick, etc....all kill a deer just as dead as a Rage....but imo give you more margin for error should something go awry, and Lord knows that can happen. There have been quite a few posts about the Rage not passing through this year. Doesn't mean its not a good head, it just shows you that the KE used is ALOT.

That deer you just got Jeff is perfect example. That was a PERFECT shot....should have been 6" in the dirt imo. Yep, still dead and didn't go far which is the result you are after...but I bet a Muzzy or Magnus would have blown through her like a hot knife through butter.
(great shot btw - congrats!)

I will say though...the rage's do make some wicked cuts and imagine some of the blood trails are just as awesome. If I was a mech guy....I'd probably try them.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

I have thought for awhile that a small diameter fixed blade like rocky mtn. ironhead, nitron, phat head, montec, or slick trick is just as accurate as a mechanical and provides way more durability and penetration than the rage. Not knocking rage lovers, i just think people get a kick out of the entrance wounds and choose a broadhead that is far less practical. How big a hole does a 30-06 make? Anyone ever have trailing problems with one of those?
Old 11-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Dominant Buck

WV.....Your post's timing coudn't be better. Your thoughts are exactly what's running through my head after my weekend's ordeal with the buck I hit. I keep thinking "what if".
Old 11-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

Less than a month ago anyone that wasnt shouting the virtues of a Rage from the rooftopswas called a peanut gallery hater. YES, YES, YES, they ARE burning up THAT MUCH ENERGY. It is the law of physics at work. Is it easier to push the tip of a fillet knife througha steak or push the entire blade lengthwise through and cut it in half??? Not to mention the energy wasted on moving parts. They will underperform a fixed blade head on many hits.They have their place,........... in a turkey blind. I killed a 240# buck last Tuesday with a fixed blade head. After hitting the back of his shoulder blade and cutting through 2 ribs I stillhad to pull the arrow out of the ground.Remember, I only pull 28" @ 68#. I can not improve on that, nor would I want to try.Large mechanical are the head of choice for turkeys for the very reason they are NOT the best choice for big game.

I agree, fletch.

I subscribe to the therory of "what if". What if I make a less than desirable shot? I want to have every bit of advantage I can. I've had my fixed heads do some devastating things on not so desirable shots....where I am fairly certain a mech would not have done nearly as well. Personally, I feel "don't fix it if it ain't broke". Muzzy, Magnus, Slick Trick, etc....all kill a deer just as dead as a Rage....but imo give you more margin for error should something go awry, and Lord knows that can happen. There have been quite a few posts about the Rage not passing through this year. Doesn't mean its not a good head, it just shows you that the KE used is ALOT.

That deer you just got Jeff is perfect example. That was a PERFECT shot....should have been 6" in the dirt imo. Yep, still dead and didn't go far which is the result you are after...but I bet a Muzzy or Magnus would have blown through her like a hot knife through butter.
(great shot btw - congrats!)

I will say though...the rage's do make some wicked cuts and imagine some of the blood trails are just as awesome. If I was a mech guy....I'd probably try them.

I agree but after using Muzzy's for more than 10 years myself, I'm seeing just as good if not better results with the Snypers minus the pass thrus.

You could subscribe to the what if's on marginal shots with the Rages or Snypers doing more damage as well. It's all relevant.

An exit is an exit, who cares how deep in the dirt it goes.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

I want the arrow out of the deer to allow bleeding. My preference from experience.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot one deer with a rage 2 blade and got a pass thru. Quartering away shot, entered just behind the last rib on the left side and exited behind the right shoulder.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Dominant Buck

An exit is an exit, who cares how deep in the dirt it goes.
For 90% I agree. I've gotten those.

Did you get on on your buck this past Friday (an exit hole)?
Old 11-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

WV.....Your post's timing coudn't be better. Your thoughts are exactly what's running through my head after my weekend's ordeal with the buck I hit. I keep thinking "what if".
You just set off your OWN radar. BLEEP, BLEEP, BLEEP, BLEEP,.....

Seriously, pass-throughs are number one criteria to me. Just my preference.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I want the arrow out of the deer to allow bleeding. My preference from experience.
With a small hole, I would agree with that. None of my 9 deer shot with a Snyper went 100 yards including the gut shot one because I left him lay. On a gut shot animal (bad hit, margin of error) I'll take the huge devastating holes of the Snyper or Rage over the Muzzy holes I used to have.

Now don't get me wrong, I also carry G5, Muzzy and Slick Tricks but the first arrow out of the quiver has a Snyper on it.

Quick Reply: Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.