Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how to draw back >

how to draw back

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how to draw back

Old 11-04-2008, 09:35 AM

Default how to draw back

it seems everytime i draw back on a deer i intend to shoot i spook it. what can i do to stop that? help would be appriceated.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: how to draw back

I like to wait until there is something between myself and the deer, to block his field of view. If he's in the open and you move, forget it. I've had them look up at me when i'm 30ft up in my stand. Make sure you have some good cover behind you also.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:40 AM

i could do that but i think my bow maybe too loud. i am using a drop away arrow rest and carbon arrows and the arrowrest i bought from walmart for $17.00.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-04-2008, 09:43 AM

also i am maybe a little more than 15 yards from the deer. so please if someone can give me advice on anything like that.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Simply using some moleskin will quieten your rest. I'd shoot it afterwards to make sure it didn't throw off your center shot, though.

I like hanging (I climb 100% of the time) with other large trees in close proximity.....or GREAT cover in between. This is one reason I chose to go to 60#'s DW. I know I can hold it longer....and I know I can draw sooner (if need be) because of that fact.

I've been busted trying to get drawn on a deer.....due to a noisy rest. That's another topic. Since changing it.....I haven't been busted drawing in numerous attempts (more than 30, probably in 3+ seasons). If you climb.....I love a large Dia. tree within 10' of me (actually a bit closer.....as I've been as close as to hang my bow hook in the "other" tree). That gives you a chance to draw when he's between you and that cover. Rarely do I draw where I have to hold my bow at full draw for more than a few seconds, though. Having that cover also allows you to let off without spooking him if you choose to NOT take the animal.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:52 AM

thanks for that. also i have a problem when i see a deer i start to breath heavy and shake. what can fix that? please help.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Several things come to mind.

Cover is number one. I don't care if you're in a tree or on the ground, if the deer is in the wide open, its very difficult to draw back on them without being detected. Back cover helps some, but it still is usually not enough.

Secondly, try to draw on the deer while their head is behind something or, if he's got his head down and is walking, you can get away with it....sometimes. The key here is to have the bow pointed directly at them and draw slowly and smoothly while they are walking. If you're pulling too much weight, you'll sky your bow and make a lot of movement. A good way to find out if you are pulling too much is to put on every single peice of hunting clothing you'll wear, sit flat on your butt on the floor and try to pull the bow slowly and smoothly without moving the bow. If you can't, there is a good chance you are pulling too much weight.

I can shoot a 70lb bow almost all day without issue. However, for hunting, I shoot my bow turned down to 61-62lbs. I can pull it level and slowly this way.

Make sure you have fleece, moleskin, or some other peice of quieting material on that rest. You MUST be quiet when pulling back.

Watch the body language of the deer. I take it your young. You'll learn from experience. If a deer is on alert or appears nervous, it will be much more difficult to pull off a shot. In this case, wait, let them get behind a tree or other cover before drawing back. Even then, becareful. A deer on high alert is ready to bolt in a millisecond. Aiming a bit lower in the vitals is usually a good idea in this case. However, if the deer is out past 30yds and on high alert, I'd rather let that deer walk than risk a bad shot.

hope this helps

Quick Reply: how to draw back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.