Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 11-04-2008, 09:27 AM

Default RE: That big buck(pic)/age.

I dont know much about ageing.....but that deer is a haus.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Guys, DT is right. The recent write up from D&DH on the deer has the taxidermist aging the deer at 3.5 via jawbone aging. Now until they do a cross-secitional analyis, which I'm sure they'll do, that is an unofficial age. Taxidermists get to see a lot of deer and most are pretty good at aging so it will be interesting to see what that guy really is.

If he is only 3.5 what a genetic phenomenon he is.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

Is it the Buffalo County deer or what? If it is how did the get an age that quick...did he not just kill it recently
Old 11-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

I can believe it's 3.5. The Milo Hansen buck that scored over 213 inches typical is still under debate on it's age, some expertssay it was 3.5 years old, others say it's 4.5. Either way, it still had at least 2 more years of upside to add more mass.

It's varies from deer to deer. I've seen 6 year old 8 points that have short tines and lots of mass that score in the mid 130's. I once shot a 2.5 year old that netted 137.5 typicaland a DNR biologist looked at it at a P&Y scoring show and he told me that this deer would most likelyhave been a Boone and Crocket deer at just 3.5 years of age. Talking to him was a real eye opener as he told me that most people over age deer.

Look at this little buck below that I took a picture ofcrossing the river approching mystand on Saturday night, he's a typical 1.5 year old that will most likelymake P&Y at 3.5 with no problem.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

i dont really care how old it is its a monster buck...congrats
Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MichaelP

Is it the Buffalo County deer or what? If it is how did the get an age that quick...did he not just kill it recently
I could have swore it was, but if he's only a 3.5, I guess it's a different buck..
Old 11-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

Pretty sure the buck you're referring to in this post was shot in KS. The Buffalo Co buck (good lord) definitely is not a 3.5 year old buck...and I can't imagine this one is either, but I have no idea. If so, genetic freak for sure!
Old 11-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

No I read up about it too. The taxidermist mounting the buffalo county buck said that by the jaw it looked to be 3.5 years of age.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

ORIGINAL: MichaelP

I could have swore it was, but if he's only a 3.5, I guess it's a different buck..
I read a story about it somewhere and it is the Field and Stream Buck, i am fairly certain that buck was from Buffalo Co. The funny thing is the guy didnt know how big the buck was untill he found it. he knew it was a shooter but didnt know it was that big. if i shot that deer they would of had to drag the deer and me out of the woods because i would have flat lined when i saw him.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

Dodge is the taxidermist mounting his animal. He was quoted in Deer and Deer hunting as saying it was a 3.5 yo. I don't believe it until a wildlife biologist can back it up.
i still would not believe it

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.